I moving to the iphone from BB. I Have a few questions:
    1) Can you set the email to vibrate when new mail comes in? On my BB it vibrates 2 times.
    2) Can you have different ringtones for certain people ( lilke my wife)
    3) Can you set it to vibrate when I go into meetings.
    4) What about text message.
    02-18-2009 03:25 PM
    I moving to the iphone from BB. I Have a few questions:
    1) Can you set the email to vibrate when new mail comes in? On my BB it vibrates 2 times.
    2) Can you have different ringtones for certain people ( lilke my wife)
    3) Can you set it to vibrate when I go into meetings.
    4) What about text message.
    1. Yes
    2. Yes
    3. Yes
    4. Yes

02-18-2009 03:45 PM
    I also came from a BlackBerry and notifications are one of the weak spots on an iPhone (especially unjailbroken). You basically have two choices, sound or vibrate. When you turn on vibrate, everything vibrates.

Like Bad Ash said, you can use different ringtones for different contacts, as well as (6) preselected text notification sounds, but there aren't different sound choices for any other type of sounds including email notification.

There aren't any repeat reminders either, except for texts which you get another notification maybe 30 secs after the first. You get one notification and that's it, one of the things I really disliked when I first got my iPhone.

If you decide to jailbreak, there are more options for notifications. I use IntelliScreen and ToneFXs. These aren't free apps, but they allow you to change any of your sounds to what ever you would like, as well as adding repeat notifications. They are definitely worth the money for me. IntelliScreen also adds the BlackBerry "Today" screen to your iPhone's lockscreen so you can see emails, calendar appointments, etc.

And if you didn't know, there is also a way to make any drm free song in your iTunes library a ringtone.
    02-18-2009 06:25 PM
    Does jailbreaking do anything to the phone? How ez isit to do?
    02-18-2009 06:56 PM
    Does jailbreaking do anything to the phone? How ez isit to do?

TiPb's guide for Macs

OR

TiPb's guide for Windows
    02-18-2009 07:02 PM
    Jailbreaking opens up the iPhone platform, it changes what developers can use when they make apps and allows for customizations that Apple won't allow.

It is pretty simple if you follow the guides provided by TiPb.

Take a look through Jailbreak Central in the forums and you will see all of the things you can add. It takes one of the best phones available and supercharges it. It can cause some lag and other issues, but for most they are well worth it.
    02-18-2009 07:04 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD