Is there a way to back up your contacts??
    I am trying to restore my phone but i don't want to lose all my contacts. Help would be greatly appreciated
    02-12-2009 04:45 AM
    If you sync with outlook your contacts should already be backed up, or just back up your phone in itunes.
    02-12-2009 07:45 AM
    If you are restoring from a jailbreak (which I think you are) you will need to use Outlook.
    02-12-2009 10:06 AM
    Isn't iTunes already backing up contacts by default? That should be the most viable method.
    02-12-2009 01:03 PM
    The rule of thumb is to restore as a new iPhone if you are jailbroken. This means no restoring of contacts, etc.
    02-12-2009 01:13 PM
    This is the closest I could find to what I need....My phone is having problems so I have to exchange it for a new one. I cleaned the phone of everything but I need to back up my contacts.

Do I need to get outlook to get it from phone to computer? Is there another way to do this?

Note: I need to have the data saved and be able to swap it to the new iphone.

Thanks
    02-17-2009 04:51 AM
    You could sync with mobileme (use the 60 day free trial) or google contacts or some other solution that lets you sync over the air. Then when you get your new phone just sync back with the account.
    02-17-2009 08:52 AM
    Everything gets backed up each time you sync with iTunes :-)
    02-17-2009 02:57 PM
    To backup iPhone contacts and contacts photos to computer, all you need is to use an iPhone contacts backup software to help you. This is how I did. I get this one from gutensoft.com
    03-22-2009 12:47 AM
    You could sync with mobileme (use the 60 day free trial) or google contacts or some other solution that lets you sync over the air. Then when you get your new phone just sync back with the account.
    Problem is with this is that mobileme will delete all the data from the iPhone as part of its first sync. Its not clever enough to sync the data from the iPhone first, therefore your MobileMe contacts will be empty as its a new account and will delete everything from it. Be warned!
    03-24-2009 12:47 PM
    To backup iPhone contacts and contacts photos to computer, all you need is to use an iPhone contacts backup software to help you. This is how I did. I get this one from gutensoft.com
    Will this work for non-jailbroken phones?
    03-24-2009 12:48 PM
    Problem is with this is that mobileme will delete all the data from the iPhone as part of its first sync. Its not clever enough to sync the data from the iPhone first, therefore your MobileMe contacts will be empty as its a new account and will delete everything from it. Be warned!
    This is not a problem in this instance as it would have been a replacement phone with nothing on it to erase. The advice was to sync prior to exchange then resync the new (empty) phone.
    03-24-2009 05:44 PM
    Ahh fair point. But wouldn't the initial sync from the old phone to MobileMe wipe that phone?!
    03-26-2009 07:13 AM
    Also a good point that I had not thought of and yes it would have reased all the contacts on his first phone. I think there is an option in google sync to prevent this, but not 100% sure.
    03-26-2009 08:58 AM
    Hmm, be interesting to find out. I myself am trying to find a solution to get my contacts off my iPhone in case of emergency (i.e. HDD failure) but as yet I can only find ways to sync from PC to iPhone, not the other way round...which is REALLY annoying
    03-26-2009 10:10 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD