Decisions, Decisions...

jhood25

Feb 11, 2009
Visit site
Posted something similar to this over at crackberry because i have previously owned a Pearl on VZW...

I have Verizon and had a pearl (RIP)...

Anyway. My pearl was stolen and broke so now I am at a crossroad. I was kind of fed up with my pearl and should have my 1 year update so i was looking into the storm. Well now i can get the storm for 199.99 if i renew.

But...

I can leave Verizon for 100 dollar cancellation fee and buy my brothers 3G I-phone which is like new for 100 dollars (replaced in late December).

So price is about the same and the monthly payment is about the same. So I'm torn. I have been in the forums and have read the fanboys assessments of both and can't come to a decision. I think if the storm had wifi i would be sold, but with the screen problems i have been reading and firmware issues I'm a little wary (plus in of all places I don't get service in my house so wifi would help). But the iphone isn't a blackberry haha.

When i posted on crackberry.com i was just looking for a little help from people who own either or both, but the only response i got was if that i really really like games on the iphone then i should get the storm. I'm not sure its quite that simple.

I made somewhat of a pros and cons list but I dont feel like typing that much. Ahhh what to do...

Thanks in advance to anyone who helps out...

p.s.- I do realize people will be biased but i did post on both sites so just trying to learn a few things.

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
I have owned the Storm... I knew right away it was going back the next day. Awful... software and hardware wise. Software can be fixed, hardware... not so easy. If you wanted a BB I'd say go with a Bold. If you want a touch screen, iPhone and don't look back. Trust me.

Txdogs

Jan 9, 2009
Visit site
Wish I had a pat answer for you. I've used both the storm and the bold but came back to the iPhone. It just works for me. Do some searching around here and you'll see other folks are trying to make similar decisions. I feel like one has to try them out to really know what will suit their needs. Good luck with your decision!

jhood25

Feb 11, 2009
Visit site
I have owned the Storm... I knew right away it was going back the next day. Awful... software and hardware wise. Software can be fixed, hardware... not so easy. If you wanted a BB I'd say go with a Bold. If you want a touch screen, iPhone and don't look back. Trust me.

Haha i saw you posting over on crackberry, i figured you would be posting here. I was extremely skeptical of the first gen iPhone but after playing with my brothers 3G i really think I'm sold.

What i noticed is people have "complaints" with their iPhones, not problems. There is "problems" with the storm from what i have been searching, like you said from hardware to the dust under the screen. I don't think something like that is acceptable for a 500 dollar phone. And no WIFI???? What were they thinking.

I just think its time for a change. First off I have had way to many dust ups with verizon customer service. And it just seems the price seems right. I did a lot of research and watched reviews and I think I have been converted.

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
Haha i saw you posting over on crackberry, i figured you would be posting here. I was extremely skeptical of the first gen iPhone but after playing with my brothers 3G i really think I'm sold.

What i noticed is people have "complaints" with their iPhones, not problems. There is "problems" with the storm from what i have been searching, like you said from hardware to the dust under the screen. I don't think something like that is acceptable for a 500 dollar phone. And no WIFI???? What were they thinking.

I just think its time for a change. First off I have had way to many dust ups with verizon customer service. And it just seems the price seems right. I did a lot of research and watched reviews and I think I have been converted.

Welcome then!

And if you haven't noticed... it's much more friendly over here. :D

Nellybelly333

Jan 20, 2009
Visit site
Welcome then!

And if you haven't noticed... it's much more friendly over here. :D

Until you start a thread in the wrong section... Then Ash beats us.

But seriously, I played around with the storm and I was not impressed, You would be better off with the Bold or iphone. I am pretty sure if you picked between the two of those phones you would come out happy either way.

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
Until you start a thread in the wrong section... Then Ash beats us.

But seriously, I played around with the storm and I was not impressed, You would be better off with the Bold or iphone. I am pretty sure if you picked between the two of those phones you would come out happy either way.

Ah, that one hurts... ;)

jhood25

Feb 11, 2009
Visit site
Hahah looking forward to posting a bunch of ridiculous noob questions once I complete the transaction...

Now I'm just fighting with the girlfriend over leaving verizon. We are not on the same plan but the whole inTxting was a plus, but we were using BBM which was an ultra plus. Jeeze its always something.

xcarlosx

Feb 11, 2009
Visit site
check my little timeline i know i haven't had a blackberry cause well ive never been a fan of blackberry's in my life but i owned an iphone 2g, early last year and signed into at&t and what not. i saw that they were going to release the iphone 3g so i decided to sell it in ebay for $500 and then in the mean time i bought a blackjack 2, cheap. when i found out that we had to pay full price and at&t customers would not be available for upgrade unless they're contracts are expiring i was pissed, because t mobile lets you start over when its a new phone or contract kinda thing.

i got tired of the blackjack 2, cancelled my at&t contract and went to t-mobile and bought a g1. it wasn't a bad choice cause i really liked the g1 but since it was kinda in beta testing because its not finalized as it is right now and it needs much improvement i decided to go to craiglist and traded my g1 for an iphone 3g.

my brother owns an iphone and he is the reason i got it, he showed me all this stuff and well i just fell in love, i hated the keyboard at first but with different keyboard patterns in cydia i just fell in love and well now im loving my unlocked iphone 3g with t mobile.

get the iphone, and like someone above said, don't look back.

jamesus

TiPb Forum Staff
Jul 10, 2008
Visit site
Definitely iPhone. My sister was going through the smae decision and she is very happy with the iPhone...as am I!!!

PS...we are a very friendly forum! Welcome to the party!!!

DRLyman

Jan 20, 2009
www.LymanPhoto.com
I have both

I have both at the moment. I used the Storm today for the first time in 10 days just for the heck of it. What a difference. Once you get used to the iPhone and then use the Storm again it's a little frustrating. Feels like going from a race car to a go cart. The iPhone is friendly and it just works. My wife thinks I'm nuts because I refer to it as my little buddy. The Storm, well, it's just not there yet.

You might be interested in this thread if you are still on the fence. Although it looks like you've already made the decision of getting the iPhone.

http://forum.theiphoneblog.com/iphone-forum/169357-foolish-go-iphone-storm.html

dooks88

Jan 23, 2009
Visit site
I have had my share of blackberry's... 7230, 8700, 8100, 8300, 8310, 8800. And currently have the 8900 and 9000. I REALLY love blackberrys for a number of reasons. But the truth is, I keep going back to the iphone. The whole experience is so much better. The iphone is so much more useful in life, and almost as useful in business. And it keeps getting better with more apps and updates.

Until Blackberry completely revamps their OS, they are in second place IMO.

The only things I miss about BB's are:
-the magnetic sensor
-the status light
-BB messenger

jhood25

Feb 11, 2009
Visit site
Thanks for all the help and encouragement. I'm kinda glad there was the mix between try both and people who have had both and are so sure iPhone is the way to go. Makes me feel more secure in my decision.

I am a student so losing the business side of the blackberry isn't gonna really hurt me for the time being. If anything the WiFi is gonna help me get internet access insides the buildings on our suburb campus which is dead zone for every service provider. Initially i think it was just more convenient to stay with big red but money wise and phone quality wise it just makes more sense to switch to the iphone.

I do txt a lot, but all the research i did lead me to believe that you adapt quick to the keyboard. I was a full on speed txter on the pearl at the end of the first day and initially that's an awkward keyboard to txt on... Plus i never back down from a challenge ha.

Nellybelly333

Jan 20, 2009
Visit site
I do txt a lot, but all the research i did lead me to believe that you adapt quick to the keyboard. I was a full on speed txter on the pearl at the end of the first day and initially that's an awkward keyboard to txt on... Plus i never back down from a challenge ha.

For the longest time the keyboard was the main reason that I was avoiding the iphone. I finally took the time one night to sit and mess around with a buddies iphone and I was amazed with how quickly I caught on. The predictive feature of the iphone sms/email really is amazing. Although a physical keyboard is comforting, at the end of the day your average iphone user types just as fast and clear as any other smartphone user.

jamesus

TiPb Forum Staff
Jul 10, 2008
Visit site
I can type faster on an iPhone than I can on any other mobile keyboard. Almost faster than the pecking I do on a normal keyboard! ;)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2