Google Mobile - Sync

Beta of course. Looks pretty cool if you don't already have an exchange account setup. Still no push email, just cal and contacts.
    02-09-2009 04:26 PM
    If I didn't already have an exchange account via work, I would set this up in a heart beat.
    02-09-2009 04:30 PM
    Nuevasync already does this.
    02-09-2009 05:09 PM
    This is native via Google. From other users experiences so far, it seems to work better than Nuevasync.
    02-09-2009 05:25 PM
    And now google does it directly so Nuevasync isn't really needed

Still no push gmail email, although I'm kind of glad you don't need to setup the full sync to get push gmail. I use exchange for my work email and keep all my contacts synced this way as well. So if the only way to get gmail push email was to setup this I would be left in the cold.
    Last edited by Justin; 02-09-2009 at 05:39 PM.
    02-09-2009 05:32 PM
    I wonder what will happen to Nuevasync now? I'm going to stay with them for now, at least until Google can sync more than 5 calendars.
    02-09-2009 06:02 PM
    I wonder what will happen to Nuevasync now? I'm going to stay with them for now, at least until Google can sync more than 5 calendars.
    I would imagine that this is the beginning of the end for them.
    02-09-2009 06:23 PM
    If I didn't already have an exchange account via work, I would set this up in a heart beat.
    Hey Jamesus, are you jailbroken? if you are, I heard there is an app on Cydia that allows multiple Exchange accounts simultainiously (sp?)
    02-09-2009 07:58 PM
    Hey Jamesus, are you jailbroken? if you are, I heard there is an app on Cydia that allows multiple Exchange accounts simultainiously (sp?)
    Yes I am jailbroken and no I haven't heard of this app. Do you have any ideas? I tried searching 'exchange' and didn't see anything that would match this.
    02-09-2009 09:37 PM
    Just set this up on my girlfriends iPhone. Works great. Good job Google!
    02-09-2009 10:25 PM
    I tried the Google sync and my holiday calendars didn't show up. What do I need to do to see them. With Nuevasync I had a "Calendars" button in the top left. Not so with the Google sync.
    02-10-2009 01:55 PM
    You need to go to m.google.com/sync from your phone. From there you can select the calenders that you would like to sync.
    02-10-2009 02:37 PM
    For those who are interested, here is a link to Nuevasync's response. It seems that they picked google to test out their sync software, they've got other plans for it...
    02-10-2009 02:49 PM
    I converted meaning I gave up Exchange and switched it to IMAP for work. My Gmail contacts & calendar are more important. Since I only communicate with a handful of people on a daily basis at work, they're in my Gmail contacts. I use Google Calendar Sync to keep my Outlook calendar up-to-date with Gmail and vice-versa.

Gmail = IMAP
    Work = IMAP
    Gmail Calendar & Contacts = iPhone Exchange client.

Works well.
    02-10-2009 04:06 PM
    You need to go to m.google.com/sync from your phone. From there you can select the calenders that you would like to sync.
    I go to this page on my iphone, and it says my device isnt supported...
    02-10-2009 09:05 PM
    Works just fine for me. Try resetting your phone???
    02-10-2009 10:43 PM
    just figured it out.. The google page came as default in my native language..

I tried changing it to English and the option showed up...

Bad google...
    02-10-2009 11:20 PM
    Glad you figured it out.
    02-10-2009 11:56 PM
    Yes I am jailbroken and no I haven't heard of this app. Do you have any ideas? I tried searching 'exchange' and didn't see anything that would match this.
    There isn't an app that lets you run multiple exchange instances, but rather NemusSync will sync your google calendars, freeing up your 1 exchange instance for another account.
    02-11-2009 08:32 AM
    There isn't an app that lets you run multiple exchange instances, but rather NemusSync will sync your google calendars, freeing up your 1 exchange instance for another account.
    This is how I was syncing until I started using a program called SyncMyCal on my desktop. Since I have split my work Exchange account into 4 calendars, it was easier to only have those 4 show up versus syncing with Google on my iPhone duplicating all of my appointments.
    02-11-2009 10:19 AM
    Since syncing my calendar with google, all days on my iphone comes up as busy (ie. all days in month view has the black dot indicating a meeting), even if a day has no meeting scheduled. Is this a bug, feauture, common problem?
    02-20-2009 03:50 AM
    Yeah same, really good.
    02-25-2009 08:53 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD