Is it foolish to go from Iphone to Storm

richxps

Jun 23, 2008
Visit site
Hi all, been following crackberry and theiphoneblog for weeks, and i have the 3G iphone now but something about the small form factor of the storm is giving me the itch to switch. Is it worth it ? Will i make a bad move ?
Is the storm much smaller than the iphone ??
And yea i love the back round app thing on the storm but im guessing we will get that soon on the iphone right ???
Thanks all,

melwan

Dec 3, 2008
Visit site
honestly, all the people I know who went with the Storm regretted the move later on and they are back to the iPhone. At least this is my observation. I read somewhere that even the BB fans hated the Storm!!! But perhaps someone with real Storm experience is better suited to answer your question.

My $.02

zukir02

Jan 23, 2009
Visit site
I would wait till the storm is more stable. I have a friend that has one, he doesn't like it any more. He is always having to do a battery pull and it freezes up on him a lot. I have played on it and personally I dont like the screen clicking thing. I feel like I am gonna break it or something.

On the other hand, there are a lot of people that have them and have no problems with them at all and love them to death. Its just like when the iphone first came out, it had problems and people would complain about it all the time, and some people didn't have any problems at all. I think the storm will get better with time, and so will the iphone.

If you know anyone that has one go play with it for a while or go to a store and play with one and see what you think about it. That is really the only way you will figure out if you like it or not.

Brickman

Nov 28, 2008
Visit site
The Storm is actually a little bit thicker than the iPhone. The Storm is a bit shorter than the iPhone and I believe the width is the same.

Like has been suggested, go and play with one as much as you can before you purchase. I was actually in line on day one to get a Storm but the line was too long for me. When my wife went back to play with it later that day, she hated it. Neither one of us could get use to how it worked. IMHO it is not as intuitive as the iPhone. Now if you have used a BB before it will probably be no problem.

If I were to get a BB I personally would get the Bold. It seems to be more stable than the Storm right now.

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
If you want a Blackberry go with the Bold. Much better all around. Yes I have one to go along with my iPhone. Tried the Storm - I knew the first day it was going back. Feels like a unfinished product.

Txdogs

Jan 9, 2009
Visit site
If I were to get a BB I personally would get the Bold. It seems to be more stable than the Storm right now.

I agree. I've tried them both. Lasted one week with the Storm and 8 weeks with the Bold. Blackberry is an entirely different animal and you won't know until you try one if it will work for you. As for a touch phone, I personally do not believe the Storm can compare to the Iphone. The Blackberry is not as easy to learn. I had to do battery pulls with both the Storm and the Bold. Doing OS upgrades is not as easy as a simple connect to Itunes, plus it requires a pc and cannot be done on a MAC. There are lots of little things to learn that are not written in an instruction manual. There are 'service books' and lingo like 'wiping' your device that had me totally baffled until I played and played with it. I did a lot of studying on Crackberry.

I could go on and on with the differences I experienced and my preferences but bottom line is you have to find out for yourself.:p

Nellybelly333

Jan 20, 2009
Visit site
If you want a Blackberry go with the Bold. Much better all around. Yes I have one to go along with my iPhone. Tried the Storm - I knew the first day it was going back. Feels like a unfinished product.

Couldn't agree more. My cousin has one and it just does not feel right. There were a few things about it that really bugged me.

1) With a case on it it feels really bulky in your hand.
2) Moving around from application to application was no where near as smooth as the iphone
3) When taking pictures, it takes about 3 seconds for the camera to actually capture from the time you pressed the button.
4) Like Ash said, all around it just does not feel like a well polished phone.

dooks88

Jan 23, 2009
Visit site
I am a blackberry fan, and I have never considered the storm.

Blackberries do a lot of things well, but you will not get the same user experience that you do with the iPhone.

Jan 23, 2009
Visit site
Do I dare speak here? I indeed have a storm. It is getting much better each week with a new leaked os update every time. RIM is heading in the right direction. Definitely play with one for a good amount of time. Maybe even wait until we get an official update out then play with one. It will be much better. I love mine! Yes it has some issues, but what didn't? K now don't hate me! :D

DRLyman

Jan 20, 2009
www.LymanPhoto.com
I have them both. I bought the Storm first, then the iPhone about 6 weeks later. At one point, I was going to return the iPhone. The day came that I was going to take it back and I just couldn't do it. Now I use the iPhone for everything except the GPS. I have Garmin on the Storm and love that program.
If you want, I can take some pictures of them side by side to give you an idea of the size difference. They are pretty close to the same size, the iPhone being a little taller. The storm is quite a bit heavier, though.
The Storm is not as smooth running as the iPhone. The iPhone runs along smoothly and everything just flips by quickly. With the Storm, its always a short pause before it does things. The new beta OS does help a bit, though. I do think that this phone still isn't quite there yet. They should have waited and not rushed it out like they did.
If there was a Garmin app for the iPhone I would quit using the Storm.

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
Do I dare speak here? I indeed have a storm. It is getting much better each week with a new leaked os update every time. RIM is heading in the right direction. Definitely play with one for a good amount of time. Maybe even wait until we get an official update out then play with one. It will be much better. I love mine! Yes it has some issues, but what didn't? K now don't hate me! :D

Rim can fix and tweak the software all they want but what they can't do anything about it the hardware itself. And that, along with the software was rushed and you can tell by looking at it. Wobbly screens, most of the phones don't even have that "click", massive amounts of dust get under the screen, list goes on. I wanted to like it, I really did - but I had to be honest...

Jan 23, 2009
Visit site
Rim can fix and tweak the software all they want but what they can't do anything about it the hardware itself. And that, along with the software was rushed and you can tell by looking at it. Wobbly screens, most of the phones don't even have that "click", massive amounts of dust get under the screen, list goes on. I wanted to like it, I really did - but I had to be honest...

How did I know you would reply to me? :p But I guess I must reply back! The whole click or lack there of issue never happened to me so I'm not sure about that. Also with the dust, don't have that issue. I guess it just depends on what you get. I haven't heard any click complaints lately...

Oh, and you'll get your nasty cookies ;)

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
How did I know you would reply to me? :p But I guess I must reply back! The whole click or lack there of issue never happened to me so I'm not sure about that. Also with the dust, don't have that issue. I guess it just depends on what you get. I haven't heard any click complaints lately...

Oh, and you'll get your nasty cookies ;)

Oreo Mint. And clean your screen and hold it up under a light... I dare you. How about in the dark how the light around the screen coming up from under it shines thru? That is just lazy craftsmanship. Sorry... ;)

DRLyman

Jan 20, 2009
www.LymanPhoto.com
Oreo Mint. And clean your screen and hold it up under a light... I dare you. How about in the dark how the light around the screen coming up from under it shines thru? That is just lazy craftsmanship. Sorry... ;)

Heck, I forgot about that. Guess I've just got used to it and don't really think about that much now. It is definitely true, though. I always wonder if down the road there may be an issue with the screen just letting go. There's been a couple people who claimed that had happened to them, but I'm not sure if I want to believe that or not, yet.

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
Heck, I forgot about that. Guess I've just got used to it and don't really think about that much now. It is definitely true, though. I always wonder if down the road there may be an issue with the screen just letting go. There's been a couple people who claimed that had happened to them, but I'm not sure if I want to believe that or not, yet.

Just make sure you don't get any water in there, if it makes it's way to the center to that one button onto the main board - could get messy. If that button goes, so does most of your functionality. :(

Why RIM did not seal that with some sort of membrane is beyond me and many other people with the same concern.

DRLyman

Jan 20, 2009
www.LymanPhoto.com
Just make sure you don't get any water in there, if it makes it's way to the center to that one button onto the main board - could get messy. If that button goes, so does most of your functionality. :(

Yep, then the phone would be done. There have been a few people that have ended up with dead phones after installing the Invisible Shields on their screens. There's no way I would even consider putting one of those on mine for that reason.

Jan 23, 2009
Visit site

Ew...and no dust I tell you! Thanks for reminding me to clean my screen though, all them fingerprints. But fine, I'll give you the light around the screen. Doesn't stop you from loving me! :D

Time will tell.

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
Ew...and no dust I tell you! Thanks for reminding me to clean my screen though, all them fingerprints. But fine, I'll give you the light around the screen. Doesn't stop you from loving me! :D

Time will tell.

I wish nothing but the best to all of the Blackberry Storm owners out there. :rolleyes:

JustinHorn

Aug 3, 2008
whenwillapple.com
I think iPhone will see some big name GPS addons in the future. The talk has died down lately so maybe it's not coming until the 3rd gen iPhone with maybe an enhanced GPS which will enable tom tom and others to make a 3rd party app (w/ hardware?) for turn by turn directions...we shall see.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro