Is it foolish to go from Iphone to Storm

richxps

Jun 23, 2008
Visit site
Hi DRLyman, if you can post the pics that would be great.

Thanks for all the comments, im going to stick with the iphone for now, i guess that the iphone will be updated with some additional features soon, i dont know what it was but something about the storm was pulling me to it. I think may just the look of the phone but that push screen does not sound to good. Maybe if they do away with the push screen and just leave it all touch that would be great.
One other thing if the storm comes with only 1G on board does that mean you only have 1Gig of space for apps ? Cant you use the memory card for apps ?
If not whats going to happen when the app store opens up and peeps want to DL a ton of apps would it not be possible on this version ?

Thanks

zukir02

Jan 23, 2009
Visit site
I think they are both great companies RIM has a lot to do to catch up to apple I think. I have a bold also and I switch back and forth sometimes but I rather use my iphone. I like the touch screen better for some reason, and my girl keeps steeling my bold so she has it most the time.

sting7k

Dec 15, 2008
Visit site
A friend of mine got a Storm earlier this month. He was all excited since he always bashes my iPhone. That was until he started using it, he couldn't stand it. I tried it out and just laughed. The clicking to type and confirm touches is annoying, especially if you have been using the iPhone. Things moved slow and lag.

He ended up taking it back after a week and going back to AT&T to get a Bold.

The Storm is pretty much the same size as the iPhone so I don't know what small form factor you are looking for, it's a little thicker even.

If you want a BlackBerry get the Bold, it is great and has really awesome quality build.

Jeffdc5#IM

Jan 13, 2009
Visit site
I would only get the storm if you never had an iPhone using it is frustrating and clunky. I got one for my sister after a week we took it back for a curve.

legendofdon

Dec 19, 2008
Visit site
I like the Storm, in theory. In practice, however the hardware is just not up to par. I wouldn't be too worried about software because that can always be fixed through updates. Also, the Storm's storage for apps is incredibly small compared to the iPhone, so you'll always have to carefully manage memory and pick and choose what apps you have at all times.

If the Storm version 2 comes out with a properly sealed and clicking screen, and plenty of memory for apps, since you can't store apps on your memory card, then I might consider it. Oh, and RIM would have to come out for a Mac compatible version of DM too. I hate having to track down a PC just to update my BB's software.

bubbatex

Apr 3, 2006
Visit site
I have a Q9c, so I was not a touch screen or BB user. I had a Storm for 2 weeks and an iPhone for 3 days. I liked the Storm a lot. The display was excellent and I got used to the clicking screen and actually liked it. I took it back because the phone did not work well and I did not want to move to Verizon and a more expensive plan to have to swap out a phone multiple times to get it right. I was also concerned about the longevity of the display - it moves and has the opportunity to get a ton if dust under it, IMO. I agree with a post above - wait a bit for some improvements. I liked the iPhone, but I did not take to it as easy as I did the Storm - don't know why, the Storm just felt more comfortable out of the gate. I took it back because I had poor 3G service at my house/home office and my cell is my business line. Might have been just a bad week for 3G or something, but I was not going to pay for the iPhone if I could not get a good signal where I use the phone the most! But, I also felt the Storm fit my hand better than the iPhone.

I would get the Bold - or wait for iPhone v3 in June - which is what I am doing. I would consider ATT in a couple of months with a fermtocell unit that allows for unlimited calls like Sprint's does. That would be the ticket for me!

DRLyman

Jan 20, 2009
www.LymanPhoto.com
I think iPhone will see some big name GPS addons in the future. The talk has died down lately so maybe it's not coming until the 3rd gen iPhone with maybe an enhanced GPS which will enable tom tom and others to make a 3rd party app (w/ hardware?) for turn by turn directions...we shall see.

I hope so. That's the only thing I miss when using the phone. I have been using the iPhone maps app lately and I am getting more used to using it. It's not as bad as I first thought, just something to get used to, I think.

DRLyman

Jan 20, 2009
www.LymanPhoto.com
Hi DRLyman, if you can post the pics that would be great.

Thanks for all the comments, im going to stick with the iphone for now, i guess that the iphone will be updated with some additional features soon, i dont know what it was but something about the storm was pulling me to it. I think may just the look of the phone but that push screen does not sound to good. Maybe if they do away with the push screen and just leave it all touch that would be great.
One other thing if the storm comes with only 1G on board does that mean you only have 1Gig of space for apps ? Cant you use the memory card for apps ?
If not whats going to happen when the app store opens up and peeps want to DL a ton of apps would it not be possible on this version ?

Thanks

I think that's a good idea.

You cannot use the memory card on the Storm for apps. They all go to the on board memory. I wish that wasn't the case. Unless they change something, I have the same concerns as you about that. You'll need to be choosy when putting apps on the phone.

Check out the link Ash posted, it's got some pictures comparing the two phones side by side. I took a couple shots of the Storm to show you the light leak that was brought up earlier. There is a gap around the whole screen, so you can't get away from this happening. Also, if you look into the gap, you can see all sorts of dust and lint. I always keep the phone in a case, so it's not like I am leaving it out in dirty environments.

467225545_YMWbL-X3.jpg

467225529_Q2dEY-X3.jpg

Last edited:

DRLyman

Jan 20, 2009
www.LymanPhoto.com
I would only get the storm if you never had an iPhone using it is frustrating and clunky. I got one for my sister after a week we took it back for a curve.

There has been quite a few people who have done that according to the Storm forums. The phone definitely isn't for everyone.

Jeffdc5#IM

Jan 13, 2009
Visit site
Don't get me wrong if i didn't know any better i would own a storm. The lack of wifi wasn't a big deal verizon 3g is quite impressive but the phone is heavy if it had less bugs it would be a great halo phone.

richxps

Jun 23, 2008
Visit site
Thanks DRLyman

Wow that really is alot of light leakage, and i can see the dust. That must get annoying after a while. Im sure they could of figured out something to prevent this gap. Too bad the buttons were not like the lock button.

Oh well ,this has been so helpful. I also check one out last night at teh verizon store. The iphone seems to have a better build i suppose due to the screen moving on the storm.
Hey one thing though i really like the wallpaper thats on the storm in the store its sort of like a forest , is there any way you can pull that off the phone ?

DRLyman

Jan 20, 2009
www.LymanPhoto.com
Thanks DRLyman

Wow that really is alot of light leakage, and i can see the dust. That must get annoying after a while. Im sure they could of figured out something to prevent this gap. Too bad the buttons were not like the lock button.

Oh well ,this has been so helpful. I also check one out last night at teh verizon store. The iphone seems to have a better build i suppose due to the screen moving on the storm.
Hey one thing though i really like the wallpaper thats on the storm in the store its sort of like a forest , is there any way you can pull that off the phone ?

Yep, there's just no getting around the light leaking and dust, etc. getting in there. I wish that would have put some kind of gasket there to prevent that from happening.

If it's the wallpaper I am thinking of that came installed on the phone by BlackBerry, I can't get that. They have made it so it's not forwardable and when using Capture It to do a screen grab, it just shows up as a black screen.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williams77