What is the best way to preserve the battery in the long term? Drain the battery all the way down and then charge, or just top it up every day or 2?

Thanks
    02-02-2009 07:29 AM
    Only charge your iphone when its almost/completely dead.
    I have heard the opposite. I was told these batteries like to be "topped off" usually. Only drain the battery dead once in a while.
    02-03-2009 10:22 PM
    This held true for most Palm devices and I assume would be true for the iPhone battery.

The first time you use your device let it drain completely done then fully charge overnight.

Repeat this process at least twice preferably three times. After that the battery will have its "memory" and you can charge whenever you want to.

Most people will let the battery at least drop below 50% before they re-charge. Mine is usually at about 20% by the end of the day. I personally have found that if I turn the phone and WiFi off before I charge and then let it charge all night. I get good battery life. Many times I will even completely turn the unit off before charging.
    02-03-2009 10:31 PM
    Now is usually when Bad Ash comes in and sets everyone straight... Waaiitttt forrr ittttt.
    02-03-2009 10:43 PM
    He is busy banning the influx of trolls and spammers today.
    02-04-2009 01:10 AM
    I have heard the opposite. I was told these batteries like to be "topped off" usually. Only drain the battery dead once in a while.
    I agree. This is what I have found doing my research. With the new Lithium batteries you can actually damage the battery by draining it all the way all the time. Although, it is good to fully drain them every once in a while, like once every month or two.
    02-04-2009 09:46 AM
    I agree. This is what I have found doing my research. With the new Lithium batteries you can actually damage the battery by draining it all the way all the time. Although, it is good to fully drain them every once in a while, like once every month or two.
    You'd be closet to being correct. For more battery information on the forums check out these threads.

Sorry I fell asleep early last night...
    02-04-2009 10:06 AM
    You sleep? Interesting...
    02-04-2009 10:34 AM
    I am not worried about the battery charge cycle because the iphone comes with a warranty. If its not holding a charge long enough go to apple and they will switch it out. If you have the phone for more than a year get apple care and you can do this for 2 more years.

Most people don't keep the same phone for a year, or even 6 months any more.
    02-04-2009 10:37 AM
    You sleep? Interesting...
    hahahahaha
    02-04-2009 10:37 AM
    I always let it drain all the way then recharge. I also turn it off when I'm not using it much - IE sleeping, times when it would be inappropriate to have it on at work, etc. Seems to work pretty well as I've seen a decent (well, decent as it gets) staying time on it.
    02-04-2009 11:13 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD