I am sorry if this is a repeat post. I searched the forums but kept getting the 4 word minimum error.

I have an old desktop computer (which still works fine), but recently got a new laptop. I want to start syncing my iPhone with the laptop. How do I do this?
    For reference:
    • I sync my contact, mail, & calendar with my exchange server, I also have other gmail accounts
    • Desktop uses XP SP2
    • Laptop uses XP SP3

Thanks in advance.

P.S. Yes I know I should be using a Mac...I have one, just still stuck at OSX 10.3.9....
    Last edited by msbaylor; 02-02-2009 at 02:14 PM.
    02-01-2009 07:29 AM
    has no one had to do this??
    02-02-2009 02:13 PM
    Sorry I don't have much experience with this, but I think the first step is to authorize the laptop with iTunes. Then, you should be able to sync the iPhone and all your apps would get downloaded on the laptop.
    02-02-2009 02:42 PM
    Are you trying to move all of your apps to the new computer? If so, select one and then right click on it "Show in Windows Explorer". That is the directory where your apps are. Copy and paste them into the same directory on the new machine and you should be good to go once you have authorized your account on the new machine.
    02-02-2009 04:48 PM
    Yeah, I just copied my entire iTunes folder from my old machine to my new machine. And authorized it, and plugged in my iPhone and sync'd it. It never even knew the difference.
    02-02-2009 04:51 PM
    Sorry I don't have much experience with this, but I think the first step is to authorize the laptop with iTunes. Then, you should be able to sync the iPhone and all your apps would get downloaded on the laptop.
    This won't work like this even though you can have up to 5 computers per account, only one computer can by the sync computer.
    02-02-2009 06:14 PM
    I just did it again last night. I copied my Itunes folder to my external hd, took out my old internal hd out of my laptop, stuck in a new hd....installed Windows 7 beta, installed Itunes, copied Itunes folder off external HD to new iTunes folder, authorized computer, plugged in iPhone, and it is like nothing has changed.
    02-03-2009 10:30 AM
    I just did it again last night. I copied my Itunes folder to my external hd, took out my old internal hd out of my laptop, stuck in a new hd....installed Windows 7 beta, installed Itunes, copied Itunes folder off external HD to new iTunes folder, authorized computer, plugged in iPhone, and it is like nothing has changed.
    That is what I do everytime I get a new computer or install an OS.
    02-03-2009 10:36 AM
    I'll try copying the iTunes folder over. I was mainly concerned in losing information in the apps when i synced my iphone with the new computer. But iam just going to do it and hope for the best... Iam tired of carrying around the desktop computer
    02-04-2009 03:23 AM
    Like I said. Doing what I said above, the iPhone never even hicupped or even noticed that it was hooked to a different computer or different OS.

Good luck.
    02-04-2009 07:41 AM
    Guys, according to an Apple site, the ITunes folder is the one found in My Music (Windows)
    08-19-2009 05:18 PM
    I ended up copy my iTunes folder over to my new computer. The iPhone never had an issue, however, I somehow managed to have duplicate applications in iTunes, still haven't figured out how to get rid of them though
    08-19-2009 09:33 PM
    I was surprised when I saw that the new laptop was running XP. I was like why would you buy a new laptop with XP on it??? lol then I read the date ofthe post. Yeah what was said here still hasn't changed you copy the iTunes folder to the new machine and that's all she wrote.
    02-20-2011 01:38 AM
    I was surprised when I saw that the new laptop was running XP. I was like why would you buy a new laptop with XP on it??? lol then I read the date ofthe post. Yeah what was said here still hasn't changed you copy the iTunes folder to the new machine and that's all she wrote.

What about photos and videos and apps with their settings and any data that might be stored therein? I just got a new Dell running Windows 7 64-bit and I'd like to straightup transfer everything from my old Dell running 32-bit Vista, scrap the old machine, and continue life as a happy iPhone 4 (running iOS5) user with as few headaches as possible. The old machine is the only machine to which I have ever connected my iPhones (upgraded from 3Gs to 4 last year without a problem), so I have never had to worry about switching computers and potentially losing data. I have copied the iTunes folder from the old computer to an external hd, and will soon be putting that on the new computer, and I have already downloaded iTunes onto the new machine and authorized it with the one and only Apple ID I've ever used, so music will play just fine on the new machine.

My only concern is the photos and videos I've taken with my phone and, to a lesser degree, the settings/data associated with the apps on my iPhone (I know that even if the apps themselves are lost I can have them all redownloaded in a matter of minutes now that iCloud keeps track of every app I've ever purchased).

While we're at it, what about contacts and text messages and everything that has been backed up (fairly regularly) to my old computer? Lets say that replacing the iTunes folder on my new computer with the one from the old computer goes off without a hitch, when I go to sync my iPhone with the new computer (authorized with my Apple ID) will it go through the traditional step of making a backup of the iPhone (which backs up all of the texts/contacts/calendar items) and then proceed with syncing as usual?

Sorry for the detail, I again just want to make the switch from the old to the new computer without anything else in my life changing.

Many thanks
    10-25-2011 11:53 AM
    helpful thread, thanks.
    10-26-2011 05:26 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD