Alright, I've been thinking of getting an iPhone....My other choice is the Blackberry Bold. I've been lurking around here for a while and found out pretty much all the info I needed. A few things I'm wondering about though.

1. I have wifi networks at my home, school and work. If I have wifi set up for all those places, meaning I set iPhone to be familiar with them, would iPhone automatically jump to that without manually selecting?

2. Does AT&T charge a crazy rate to users when you leave the country? The country I plan on visiting would be covered under "GLOBE." Of course, I'd have 3G off.

3. I've been browsing the app store and see myself having a big amount of apps on my future phone. Will problems arise from having a huge amount of apps on the phone? Will they slow the phone down or cause it to crash constantly?

4. I don't use any kind of schedule on my computer (like outlook) but I would love to. What would be something that I could start using that would be compatible for both iPhone? Would love it to be able to update the schedule from both PC and iPhone, if that's possible. I'm on a PC running XP.

Other then that, I think I'm all good. I do like the blackberry a bit more but see myself getting a crazy kick out of the apps and I like the browser on the iPhone much better.

Thanks a lot guys!
    01-22-2009 03:13 AM
    1. Yes
    2. Don't know (not from the US)
    3. No
    4. I don't use a calendar either, but there are plenty of calendar / note apps out there that sync with a website, which you can access from a computer. Praise be to Allah that my life isn't so busy that I need my phone to tell me what to do, and when!
    01-22-2009 06:49 AM
    Thanks squampton! #1 was a big concern for me. So it does work kind of like passing off the baton in a relay race?
    01-22-2009 06:56 AM
    I don't know about #2 either since I never leave the country. I'm sure some sort of fees apply though.

You can definitely sync your iPhone calendar with your calendar in outlook. Not over air though unless you use MobileMe. MobileMe is $100/year, but I think it's totally worth it having all my mail/contacts/calendars pushed over the air. But if you don't have MobileMe, your PC and iPhone will update whenever you sync through iTunes. It doesn't matter if you originally put the new information into the iPhone or PC, everything will stay up to day.
    01-22-2009 10:21 AM
    #2 - Depends on the country you visit. Best bet is to go to AT&T and find a suitable plan for the time you are visiting the country. I have a friend visiting Vietnam right now and he had an international option added to his iPhone line.

#4 - There are also other services out there. Check out mail2web as a different (and free) calendar option. There are also ways to sync with Google calendar, which is also free.
    01-22-2009 11:44 AM
    Alright, I think I got all the info I needed guys. I'll probably be picking up my new iphone within the week.

Thanks!
    01-22-2009 05:01 PM
    Thanks squampton! #1 was a big concern for me. So it does work kind of like passing off the baton in a relay race?
    It just switches from 3G to wifi once it gets in range of the signal. Completely automatic.
    01-22-2009 08:37 PM
    I think you will love the phone once you get it.
    01-22-2009 10:54 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD