I have now tried two applications - Ustream and DinnerSpinner - that upon startup tell me I need a wifi connection in order to use them and then immediately quit.

The problem is, I *have* and active wifi connection, and Safari, Mail and all of my other apps have no problem using it.

I see a few other comments in the review section for both of these apps indicating that some users are having the same problem, but it's clearly not universal.

This is a JB'ed iPhone 3G with FW 2.2. Anyone have any ideas?
    01-21-2009 11:06 AM
    I have yet to have any issues like this. Have you tried contacting the developers of the apps?
    01-21-2009 01:32 PM
    Try disconnecting the WiFi access point and then re-enabling it (and by this I mean deleting the access point and then re-entering the password).
    01-21-2009 04:16 PM
    Try disconnecting the WiFi access point and then re-enabling it (and by this I mean deleting the access point and then re-entering the password).
    Nope, that didn't help. I don't have time to debug this one. The apps I really care about are working; I can do without these two.
    01-21-2009 07:26 PM
    I have yet to have any issues like this. Have you tried contacting the developers of the apps?
    I have now tried to contact both developers, but the support email forms on both of their web sites end with an error. Nice.
    01-21-2009 08:04 PM
    I have now tried to contact both developers, but the support email forms on both of their web sites end with an error. Nice.
    Sorry to hear that... I'd be aggravated as well. The problem as to be with the Apps themselves and not the phone.
    01-21-2009 08:08 PM
    I had couple Apps in the past did that. One of them was fixed by rebooting the iPhone (not respring, but full reboot). The other App, it turned out to be a bug that was corrected in a newer version.

I agree with Bad Ash, it's not an issue with the iPhone.
    01-21-2009 08:21 PM
    Thank you guys for responding, but nothing is working. Oh well, good thing these are not "mission critical" apps for me. Ha ha, as if I really had a mission anyway!
    01-21-2009 08:40 PM
    I figured out the problem: the jailbreak application PdaNet. For anyone else out there that might encounter this problem in the future:

It turned out that I had PdaNet installed and configured in WiFi router mode (which I think is the installation default). I went into PdaNet settings, selected the "PdaNet off" option, and now all of the previously failing apps (DinnerSpinner, UStream, and Bank of America) are working fine.

I still think those apps are slightly broken, since Safari, Mail, Facebook and others worked with PdaNet turned on. But at least it makes some sense now.
    01-28-2009 01:58 PM
    Good to know that you have it working now!
    01-28-2009 02:01 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD