Interesting list and interesting list of comments. 1/2 of these don't matter much to me, but there are certainly some ticked off folks commenting!

The top 10 things we hate about the iPhone

They did one for Blackberry too.
    01-20-2009 10:07 PM
    yawn, wake me up when there is actually something new. Old beaten list.

If they hate the iPhone so much, why did they bother commenting? Just grab a BB and be happy.
    Last edited by melwan; 01-21-2009 at 02:02 AM.
    01-20-2009 10:58 PM
    Slow day for BGR it seems. Even on the Blackberry list it seemed like they were nit picking.
    01-20-2009 11:08 PM
    I made a defensive post since no one was defending it. Heh. They're ridin the iPhone hate train in there.
    01-21-2009 03:42 AM
    I made a defensive post since no one was defending it. Heh. They're ridin the iPhone hate train in there.
    That is not shocking - for some reason if you own another type of phone the iPhone has to suck... People are bitter.
    01-21-2009 10:09 AM
    What I thought was interesting (and worth posting) was the fact that it seemed there were a bunch of iPhone OWNERS over there slamming the phone. I expect the Crackberry folks to chime in, but most of those seemed to be iPhone owners.
    01-21-2009 10:36 AM
    What I thought was interesting (and worth posting) was the fact that it seemed there were a bunch of iPhone OWNERS over there slamming the phone. I expect the Crackberry folks to chime in, but most of those seemed to be iPhone owners.
    All I have to say to that is if someone does not like the phone... don't cry like a baby - return it or sell it and get something else. Fact is it is not for everyone.
    01-21-2009 10:44 AM
    Im going to dissect this post. It seems stupid top me.

1. You cant use custom sounds for email notifications, SMS, etc.
    Agreed

2. Copy and paste. Sorry, but its ridiculous at this point.
    Agreed. But not ridiculous.

3. When forwarding an email with an attachment, the iPhone sends it out locally. That means if you have a 1MB attachment, you have to send 1MB worth of data when forwarding. This doesnt happen on Windows Mobile or the BlackBerry its sent from the server. Not cool.
    Never had a problem with this. how trivial.......

4. No unified inbox. At this point, theres no reason you should have to go through the rigmarole of switching through tabs and endless menus to get to another email inbox. Cut this down, give us color-coded emails that correspond with that particular account something!
    Never had a problem with this. how trivial.......

5. Video recording. Again, its technically possible, but we dont have it.
    Jailbreak your phone. Also, how trivial.......

6. The touch screen capture button in the Camera application is horrid. Lets use one of the volume keys or something to take a picture. Its not a good setup.
    WHAT ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT?!?!?!?
    7. You cant forward text messages. Something that is a no-brainer just isnt here.
    Agreed

8. There isnt a way to delete individual calls from the recent call list. Not that we need to hide anything from our girlfriends or anything
    LAME. NEXT
    9. No file structure that is user-accessible. That means you cant save any attachment that isnt a photo, you cant download files from websites, etc. Additionally, each application can only access its own file structure so you can forget about doing anything sexy.
    Again. WHAT ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT?!?!?!? Never been a issue..
    10. The push-background notification service is still nowhere to be found.
    With my headphones in this service works great.

Wow this has to be one of the lamest blog posts ever.. yet, I am commenting on it.
    01-21-2009 10:50 AM
    ^ regarding point 7, jailbreaking and getting something like biteSMS would do. Also, there is a JB app for point 1
    01-21-2009 03:20 PM
    In fairness to the BGR site it did say the gripes were for a non-jailbroken phone. But either way it was a lame list...
    01-21-2009 03:47 PM
    I don't text, but I do IM... and I just can't imagine, ever, under any circumstances, wanting or needing to forward a text to someone else (even for business)... and I'd certainly hope MY texts wouldn't be forwarded to others.

People have some weird-azz needs.
    01-21-2009 06:59 PM
    Well the only thing I could use SMS forwarding for is if someone sends me a funny joke that I would like to share with others. Then I could just forward it to whomever instead of having to remember how it goes and then retype it. But that doesn't happen often enough to get to the point where I care.
    01-22-2009 09:59 PM
    9. No file structure that is user-accessible. That means you cant save any attachment that isnt a photo, you cant download files from websites, etc. Additionally, each application can only access its own file structure so you can forget about doing anything sexy

So there is no file manager for the iphone? I cant download a file that doesn't have a recognized extension? There really isn't a user accessible file structure?
    01-27-2009 08:48 AM
    I don't text, but I do IM... and I just can't imagine, ever, under any circumstances, wanting or needing to forward a text to someone else (even for business)... and I'd certainly hope MY texts wouldn't be forwarded to others.

People have some weird-azz needs.
    Agreed. The only time I can think that I have used C/P on my BB is when someone asks me if I have someones number. Other than that I really don't think it is something that I will miss all that much. And I am sure there will be an update that addresses it at some point anyway...
    01-27-2009 08:58 AM
    I bet half the people the complain about copy and past probably dont even use it. People just pick things to complain bout most the time. I have used copy and past maybe 3 times in the 1 year that I had a BB. I dont miss it at all.
    01-27-2009 09:13 AM
    I bet half the people the complain about copy and past probably dont even use it. People just pick things to complain bout most the time. I have used copy and past maybe 3 times in the 1 year that I had a BB. I dont miss it at all.
    Exactly right. I think I've used copy and paste one time on my Bold. People just like to find any weakness they can.
    01-27-2009 12:35 PM
    Exactly right. I think I've used copy and paste one time on my Bold. People just like to find any weakness they can.
    I would be a liar if I said there was not a time that I tried to justify why the iphone was not great... Now that I am coming up on an upgrade I can barely wait until I can call that little beauty mine!
    01-27-2009 01:36 PM
    1. Who cares about custom sounds.

2. I use copy and only a few times a year.

3. If I had to forward a large attachment I would log into the email service on the net and sent from there.

4. I liked the unified inbox on BB but it is also advantageous to keep things separate. Its not difficult to switch to the next inbox.

5. Who cares about shooting video with a phone. The quality is lousy on all phones. My cheapo camera it tiny and takes excellent video.

6. The touch screen capture button in the Camera application is fine.

7. I have never needed to forward a text message.

8. If you need to delete individual calls from the call history list then you are a lousy jerk.

9. I do like to be able to access/modify the file structure as well as store and download unknown file types but I only do this a few times a year.

10. The push-background notification service is still nowhere to be found. What does this mean?
    01-27-2009 02:15 PM
    1. Who cares about custom sounds.

2. I use copy and only a few times a year.

3. If I had to forward a large attachment I would log into the email service on the net and sent from there.

4. I liked the unified inbox on BB but it is also advantageous to keep things separate. Its not difficult to switch to the next inbox.

5. Who cares about shooting video with a phone. The quality is lousy on all phones. My cheapo camera it tiny and takes excellent video.

6. The touch screen capture button in the Camera application is fine.

7. I have never needed to forward a text message.

8. If you need to delete individual calls from the call history list then you are a lousy jerk.

9. I do like to be able to access/modify the file structure as well as store and download unknown file types but I only do this a few times a year.

10. The push-background notification service is still nowhere to be found. What does this mean?
    Push notifications for 3rd party apps such as a IM client being able to alert you of a new message while you are not in the application is one example.
    01-27-2009 02:55 PM
    Another thing that gets to me. People say "oh well I can change out memory cards, so I can hold more than 32gb's" Who would wanna carry around a bunch of little cards that all you will do is probably lose?
    01-27-2009 04:20 PM
    as a fresh convert I just feel the need to chime in here, specifically in regards to some of smileyboy's comments on the list.. first off because it has never been an issue for you does not mean it isn't an issue for someone else. It takes all types of nerds to make the gadget world go round....

Most notable for me are the forwarding of txt msgs then copy & paste. While I know some people may never use these types of functions I personally use(d) both quite regularly and the simple fact that these are not native is somewhat mind boggling. I could understand if we were talking newer functionality etc but we're talk dinosaur tech. Sure you may not need to copy/paste or forward text.... i do. Often. Case in point... I just got a text from a friend's band...I wanted to invite some other people... easiest way... forward the text & append it. NOPE can't do it... I'd have to retype all the info etc... kind dumb. But if I can't forward the txt maybe I could just copy the important stuff & paste it in a new txt.... oh nope can't do that either.

The rest.. video recording & so on.... THE thing that makes it all so confusing / frustrating is why? when virtually everything else on the market does, why go and specifically lock people out.

& the file structure bit... yeah on the BB you could save virtually anything to your phone, get to your desktop, plug in and see your phone as a mass storage device and off load it (so somewhat eliminating the need for a jump drive)..again without hacking it or buying more software.

I understand that not everyone needs or would ever even notice some of these things & sure jailbreak it etc... but why should I have to hack up my device or purchase additional software for something simple that should be ready to go outta the box.

Don't get me wrong so far so good (about a week) and I can say this... for what the iPhone does better than BB it does WAAAAY better & there's more shiney bells & whistles to keep you distracted... but the BB just simply does communications way better and seems to be way more personally configurable...

I will be reading up on jailbreaking my phone and such and who knows maybe that will make all the diff but I'm not sure. But the ability to get the additional software to patch what I see as holes in design with no overhead, as it were, will make some of these issues less painful.
    Last edited by bassface; 02-12-2009 at 07:36 PM.
    02-12-2009 07:31 PM
    Another thing that gets to me. People say "oh well I can change out memory cards, so I can hold more than 32gb's" Who would wanna carry around a bunch of little cards that all you will do is probably lose?
    Just wait a bit. 16 GB cards are out now and the 32 GB will be along soon Amazon.com: Sandisk 16GB Microsd Card: Electronics

No need to carry cards around. Just 1 card in the device.
    02-12-2009 10:43 PM
    That is not shocking - for some reason if you own another type of phone the iPhone has to suck... People are bitter.

I always noticed this. I will admit I wasn't a fan of the first gen iPhone. But when i was still rocking my blackberry I had nothing but respect for the 3G iPhone. I would occasionally ask him to send me a picture sarcastically...

I was talking to a buddy who has the G1 Phone and he started ripping into the iPhone when i told him i was getting one. Its just endless hate...
    02-13-2009 12:15 AM
    I always noticed this. I will admit I wasn't a fan of the first gen iPhone. But when i was still rocking my blackberry I had nothing but respect for the 3G iPhone. I would occasionally ask him to send me a picture sarcastically...

I was talking to a buddy who has the G1 Phone and he started ripping into the iPhone when i told him i was getting one. Its just endless hate...
    Yes, the hate is overwhelming.
    02-13-2009 01:34 AM
    Yes, the hate is overwhelming.
    I didn't have a rebuttal for him because i know next to nothing about the G phone and from what I have seen I am a fan. I did rip on him for have a P.O.S 14 year old girl scenester sidekick for the last 3 years or so.
    02-13-2009 01:53 AM
28 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD