Every time you type a certain 4 letter word you always get another word that you don't want... On older iPhone firmware all you had to do was hit the X when it tried changing the word and it would learn the correct word after three tries. Well that feature went away with firmware 2.0 but there is a work around...

Go into Google search bar in Safari... then type in the word you want it to remember. Two or three times should do it. Now exit out and go try creating a SMS message with that word... should work flawlessly.

Enjoy being able to type F#$# now!
    Last edited by Jeremy Sikora; 01-21-2009 at 09:40 AM.
    01-20-2009 07:13 PM
    Another way to do this is to create a contact with the, ahem, colorful language contained in it. Create a dummy contact and I do believe that you can then in the notes section type all of the 4 letter words you normally use and it will show up with no other suggestions...like "duck".
    01-20-2009 07:37 PM
    Another way to do this is to create a contact with the, ahem, colorful language contained in it. Create a dummy contact and I do believe that you can then in the notes section type all of the 4 letter words you normally use and it will show up with no other suggestions...like "duck".
    More ways the better. I wonder why Apple changed this...
    01-20-2009 07:48 PM
    Good ideas, fellas; never thought of a dummy contact.

The auto-spell can be annoying at times, but the alternative (no auto correct on an all-touch screen device) would be worse, IMO.
    01-21-2009 09:16 AM
    Roflmao...
    01-21-2009 09:21 AM
    Good ideas, fellas; never thought of a dummy contact.

The auto-spell can be annoying at times, but the alternative (no auto correct on an all-touch screen device) would be worse, IMO.
    What I don't get is why Apple changed how it worked. Previously to 2.0 you could correct it and after 3 times of correcting a word it would learn it. Maybe I am crazy but that's how I thought it worked.
    01-21-2009 09:41 AM
    01-22-2009 04:12 PM
    I would have to agree that entering the slang words into Safari's Google window (3 times minimum) appears to be the only way to get the word to "stick.". I wasn't having any luck with the dummy contact.

FYI: the only abbreviation that I can't seem to get to stick is "PC.". Trying to type "PC" (lower or upper case) will *always* bring up "of" as a suggestion. I guess there's no way around that one seeing the close proximity of the keys involved.
    01-24-2009 07:38 PM
    I just turned the auto corrector off, as I check over my spelling anyway....at least I only have to change a few letters rather than the whole word...
    02-01-2009 07:11 AM
    I just turned the auto corrector off, as I check over my spelling anyway....at least I only have to change a few letters rather than the whole word...

Couldn't live without autocorrect, don't know how you do it :P

Thanks for the workarounds guys.
    02-04-2009 11:15 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD