Quality of refurbs

Madscotsman

Nov 10, 2008
Visit site
Just had a quick question. I am about to get an Iphone 3G and unfortunately I'm not due for an upgrade for quite some time. So my only option to get the phone at the $199.00 price point is to get a refurb from my premeir account. I was hoping that someone who had gotten a refurb themselves or knows someone who did, could comment on the quality of the phone. Just really want to know if I might be wasting my money here. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
Personally I would never buy a refurbished phone. But that is just me. You could get it and if it is scratched or has some other issue you can always have them send you another. Just make sure you do it sooner rather than later.

tony2979#CB

Jun 16, 2008
Visit site
Got two refurbs about three weeks ago from AT&T. They looked and performed as if they were brand new. Not a scratch, smudge or anything.

I would certainly recommend it based on my experience.....well, the order through AT&T was a nightmare, but thats another story.

sting7k

Dec 15, 2008
Visit site
A friend dropped his iPhone 3G (while replying to my text message, lol) last week and cracked the screen. Apple sold him a refurb for $300 the next day. Yesterday he texts me, "The silent switch just fell off my new iPhone".

So I would make sure you give it a good look over and make sure nothing feels loose. He is going back to the Apple store today for another one. Peronally, I do not buy refurbs of any product. You could always get lucky and get one that was used for a day and barely touched. Or you get the bad ones that were broken and repaired, and are now prone to breakage.

icebike

Dec 2, 2008
Visit site
There are three big box stores carrying refurbs now.
That's a LOT of refurbs.

My estimate based on family and friends that have iphones is somewhere between 10% and 20% of new iPhones end up getting replaced at the Genius bar.

6 Million iPhone sold. 6 hundred thousand Refurbs minimum.

At the reported manufacturing cost to apple of about 170 bucks, just about any work on these phones beyond a factory software reload would be a waste of money. Even with dirt cheap labor in China.

The oft repeated claim that bad parts are taken out and replacement parts added, and a new case applied seem bogus. That would take longer and cost more than a new phone.

So my bet is that an Apple refurb is nothing but a software reload and 10 seconds on the buffing wheel. The problem that caused the failure in the first place (if there was a failure in the device as opposed to a failure of the user), is still there.

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
There are three big box stores carrying refurbs now.
That's a LOT of refurbs.

My estimate based on family and friends that have iphones is somewhere between 10% and 20% of new iPhones end up getting replaced at the Genius bar.

6 Million iPhone sold. 6 hundred thousand Refurbs minimum.

At the reported manufacturing cost to apple of about 170 bucks, just about any work on these phones beyond a factory software reload would be a waste of money. Even with dirt cheap labor in China.

The oft repeated claim that bad parts are taken out and replacement parts added, and a new case applied seem bogus. That would take longer and cost more than a new phone.

So my bet is that an Apple refurb is nothing but a software reload and 10 seconds on the buffing wheel. The problem that caused the failure in the first place (if there was a failure in the device as opposed to a failure of the user), is still there.

I know you are guessing at the % of phones that get returned... I wonder what the actual number really is. Hmmm :confused: I know myself for the first iPhone I had a few because of dead pixels. I think I had a string of 4 phones in 4 days... eventually corporate stepped up and upgraded me to a 16GB for free. I wonder if they even bothered to fix those screens - cause I know not everyone is as picky as me.

Madscotsman

Nov 10, 2008
Visit site
Thanks for the input. From what I can gather on the ATT site, the refurbs are supposed to have a 90 day warranty through apple. So I guess if I get a bad one I can run on down to the nearest apple store and try to get it exchanged.

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
Thanks for the input. From what I can gather on the ATT site, the refurbs are supposed to have a 90 day warranty through apple. So I guess if I get a bad one I can run on down to the nearest apple store and try to get it exchanged.

If you are going with a refurb that is the way to go. Good luck! I'm sure everything will be cool!

dooks88

Jan 23, 2009
Visit site
I find when it comes to apple, their refurbs are very reliable. I currently have 2 iMacs (24 & 20), an ipod nano, and a 16gig iphone 3g. All are refurbs and all look and work like new.

johnny football hero

Nov 7, 2008
Visit site
My friend owns the first gen iPhone and has been through 3 or 4 phones in about 9 months. Non-responsive touch screen, no vibration, broken power button. I assume the phones they swap out at the Genius Bar are refurbs? Phones that have been turned in and repaired to be put back into the cycle at the Genius Bar?

Madscotsman

Nov 10, 2008
Visit site
Just a little update incase anyone is planning on ordering a refurb phone. I spoke with the ATT Premeir people this morning, and as it stands right now, the 8gb refurbs are on back order, and it could be as long as 4-6 weeks before they get new ones in, at least according to the rep on the phone. The 16gb are still available right now.

Oct 25, 2008
Visit site
Still waiting on my refurb.......

I just got off the phone with CS. The 8GB 3G is on back order and they are guessing it will be a month or 2. The rep I spoke with said there were 1200 orders ahead of mine :(

Oct 25, 2008
Visit site
Just a little update incase anyone is planning on ordering a refurb phone. I spoke with the ATT Premeir people this morning, and as it stands right now, the 8gb refurbs are on back order, and it could be as long as 4-6 weeks before they get new ones in, at least according to the rep on the phone. The 16gb are still available right now.

Ops,,, dint see. U already posted this info. :eek:

JustinHorn

Aug 3, 2008
whenwillapple.com
My friend owns the first gen iPhone and has been through 3 or 4 phones in about 9 months. Non-responsive touch screen, no vibration, broken power button. I assume the phones they swap out at the Genius Bar are refurbs? Phones that have been turned in and repaired to be put back into the cycle at the Genius Bar?

That's how most places are unless you are in like a 30 return period. I think most warranties can replace your broken phone with a refurb, that's why I wouldn't do that unless my phone was really broken and not just minor cracks or whatever else can go wrong.

Oct 25, 2008
Visit site
I got my refurb today. It has a few light scuffs and a few corner dings. It looks good but it looks like its been dropped a few times.

Oct 25, 2008
Visit site
Ouch, I'd spend a extra 50 for a new one.

I'm not eligible for an upgrade. So.....

iPhone 3G - 16GB Black
Revolutionary Phone and Breakthrough Internet Device
Widescreen iPod with Multi-Touch Interface and Advanced Software
View Details for Important Information on the iPhone Return Policy
Weight: 4.7 ounces
Talk Time: Up to 5 hours on 3G, up to 10 hours on 2G
Technology: GSM/GPRS/EDGE 850/900/1800/1900 MHz; UMTS/HSDPA/HSUPA 850/1900/2100 MHz
Your Price$499.00

iPhone 3G - 16GB Black (Refurb)
Revolutionary Phone and Breakthrough Internet Device
Widescreen iPod with Multi-Touch Interface and Advanced Software
View Details for Important Information on the iPhone Return Policy
Weight: 4.7 ounces
Talk Time: Up to 5 hours on 3G, up to 10 hours on 2G
Technology: GSM/GPRS/EDGE 850/900/1800/1900 MHz; UMTS/HSDPA/HSUPA 850/1900/2100 MHz
Your Price$299.00

For me it is a 200 dollar difference. I'm pretty happy with it. I also got a brand new 8GB 3G on the same deal through premier business for 199.00 hehehe,,,,,, anyone want to buy a brand new 8GB 3G from me :D

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro