Then I would say they are pretty darn solid..
    Nope,,, they come with a sticker that say how many blemishes, dings scratches,,, they have. I have bought 3 refurbs,,,,, 1 to keep and 2 to sell and my 3g 16GB said "3 blemishes". Thats why they are 200 dollars off!
    02-27-2009 06:18 PM
    Yeah I'd stay away from Refurbished phones :S
    They may have a scratch or they may be flawless. Any way it goes they are usually in perfect working condition and are backed with a warranty. Apple will send you a replacement refurb if you are not satisfied.
    02-27-2009 06:21 PM
    Nope,,, they come with a sticker that say how many blemishes, dings scratches,,, they have. I have bought 3 refurbs,,,,, 1 to keep and 2 to sell and my 3g 16GB said "3 blemishes". Thats why they are 200 dollars off!
    Refurbs direct from Apple at a Apple store do not come with any visual defects. At&t may send out garbage but Apple takes pride even if the product was refurbished.
    02-27-2009 07:03 PM
    ^ this is true. Every refurb product I have ever seen from Apple looks brand new.

Also, the refurb iPhone I am using right now came from at&t. It is flawless, no scratches or anything.
    02-27-2009 07:30 PM
    I would think they have to be pretty flawless to be resold at the prices Apple & AT&T resell them at.. or else they would all be different prices, because some people would be getting cheated if they got a lot of scratches on their phone when another person got a nearly flawless.

I haven't heard of the sticker policy..
    02-27-2009 08:30 PM
    I have bought 3 of them. 2 were flawless and one had a sticker,,,,, or it came with a sheet that stated the 3 blemishes. It had 3 nicks on the bottom. I could tell it had been dropped. So far it is perfect. I never even notice the nicks on the bottom. I think it is a pretty awesome deal to get a guaranteed phone for $200.00 off and the 8GB are $250.00 off if you are due for an upgrade. $149.00 for a perfect iPhone is a heck of a deal.
    Last edited by jamespaulritter; 03-11-2009 at 06:00 PM.
    02-28-2009 07:44 AM
    I just got a white 16GB refurb........... There is a crack in the casing by the silence switch and the sim slot looks like someone used a knife to open it...............

wow geez
    03-11-2009 06:00 PM
    I just got a white 16GB refurb........... There is a crack in the casing by the silence switch and the sim slot looks like someone used a knife to open it...............

wow geez
    Hmmmm, I thought you got rid of your phone? Back so soon?
    03-11-2009 09:11 PM
    the one i got for my girlfriend was marked as blemished but i couldn't seem to find any scratchs or nicks. in fact when i punched the serial in to apple's site to see the warranty available, it looks like we have until november of 2009. not bad since i bought it a couple of weeks ago. and it looks like we can even purchase the apple care protection plan--BONUS!
    03-12-2009 12:16 AM
    Hmmmm, I thought you got rid of your phone? Back so soon?
    I buy 2 or 3 a month and sell them on ebay
    03-12-2009 05:54 AM
    the one i got for my girlfriend was marked as blemished but i couldn't seem to find any scratchs or nicks. in fact when i punched the serial in to apple's site to see the warranty available, it looks like we have until november of 2009. not bad since i bought it a couple of weeks ago. and it looks like we can even purchase the apple care protection plan--BONUS!
    That has been my experience also,,,,,, about a six month warranty with an option to extend the warranty.
    03-12-2009 05:56 AM
    Since I replaced mine, my warranty is still active on it so I still have about a year left.

I figure the one I got has the same issue, so I will replace it right before my warranty is up - :P

Not sure if I am going to buy the Apple Care though.
    03-12-2009 09:34 AM
    i just got a 16 gig refurbish its a BRAND new device, 9 out of 10 tims when you buy a refurbed its from people who have returned the phone in the 30 days for whatever reason....and the best thing of all i bought the 16 gig refurbed for 149 !!!!!!!! with a new contract of coarse :-)
    04-04-2009 12:11 PM
    After speaking with an Apple "genius", they confirmed that there's quite a difference between how Apple qualifies a refurb vs. AT&T (I work for AT&T, not in wireless tho). That said, I've never had any problems with an AT&T refurb until I got my iPhone 3G 8GB. The battery was bad, died way to fast after an overnight charge.

I simply took it to an Apple store and they exchanged it for a brand new unit since it was only a few months into it's original warranty. Now I have a new unit for a refurb price, so that worked out quite well.
    04-04-2009 03:24 PM
    Apple has a very good reputation with refurbs. If you have an issue with your iPhone and take it in, what do you think they replace it with?

9/10 times, it's a refurb.

They replace the casings if needed, the screen, or anything else before reselling.

I actually read in a forum somewhere that refurbs actually go through MORE quality control tests than new units do.
    04-05-2009 04:36 PM
    I just got a refurb from apple yesterday. My screen was clicking like a Blackberry Storm! My refurb seems to be in perfect working order with no blemishes. It looks a whole lot better than the one I gave them! Now if I can only keep this one scratch free...
    04-05-2009 04:38 PM
    I just got a refurb from apple yesterday. My screen was clicking like a Blackberry Storm! My refurb seems to be in perfect working order with no blemishes. It looks a whole lot better than the one I gave them! Now if I can only keep this one scratch free...

Scratch free is always hard. I'm pretty good about my phones, but it always happens eventually.
    04-05-2009 04:51 PM
    i dont think a refurb is the way to go its too risky...
    ps bad ash rules
    04-05-2009 07:37 PM
    ps bad ash rules
    Shhhh... gotta keep that stuff to yourself! Don't wanna boost his ego too high!

<3 ya BA!
    04-05-2009 07:40 PM
    I got the refurbished 8gig for $100 because it seemed like a good deal. Also ATT gives you a 90 day warranty on it (which i would think would be enough time to see if there are defects). On top of that I think apple still honors their year warranty from when the phone was first purchased, so I felt pretty safe that I wasn't going to get ripped off even if my refurbished phone didn't work right. I've had it about 2 weeks and no problems so far. Looks and functions just like new. I can't really see any downsides to trying it out.
    04-06-2009 04:04 PM
    I got a refurbished phone, not by choice... The vibrate function quit working on my 3 month old 3G... sent it off the the mother ship (Apple) for diagnosis... they sent me a refurbished as a replacement. Can defiantly tell it is a refurbished phone. The fit and finish not quite the same as my new phone. That and there is something loose in it (I can hear it if I shake the phone)
    04-07-2009 01:55 PM
    I will NEVER buy anything that is refurbished.
    I will NEVER buy an used car.

I'm sure not everyone has had bad experiences and I've never had it either because I never dealt with it but I just refuse to buy anything used that is electronic. I will however, gladly accept hand downs from family members.
    04-07-2009 02:44 PM
    I have never dealt with a refurb iPhone, but I'm sure they carry the same warranty as a new one, so what is the big deal?
    Used cars aren't a big deal. You just have to know that it has been taken care of by the original owner. Have a mechanic you trust look a used car over before you buy it and it is usually not an issue.
    04-07-2009 03:38 PM

I'm sure not everyone has had bad experiences and I've never had it either because I never dealt with it but I just refuse to buy anything used that is electronic. I will however, gladly accept hand downs from family members.
    To each their own, but I don't see the downside in this specific case of the iphone. You get a good warranty with it, if something is wrong it will most likely show itself within that time. And you can't beat $100 dollars for an iphone 3g. I got mine with not a blemish on it and it functions perfectly. I realize that not all experiences with refurbished products will be like that but with the warranty who cares, you can always return it or get a new phone.

Used cars are a different story I've had good experiences with used cars also, but you have to know what to look for and it depends on the model of car. What bothers me about buying new cars is that the value of it drops so much as soon as you leave the lot, where as a used car already has that loss incurred.
    04-07-2009 04:37 PM
    ps bad ash rules
    Awww, thanks. Another fan...
    04-07-2009 06:03 PM
52 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD