So I've been using two devices for some time now. It seems all of a sudden AT&T is clamping down on this. After using my BB Bold for the past two months I went back to my iPhone 3G last night and woke up with a SMS message from AT&T giving me a warning... So I called AT&T just to make them happy and switch plans. Now they told me I would have to sign a new two year contract to activate the iPhone data plan, buy a new sim card, and now my warranty was voided for taking the sim out...

Needless to say all of that is BS (not true unless they just changed this policy) as I just hung up on the person and called back again. The next person I spoke with said the same things... So pretty much I argued for 30 minutes and got them to switch it over without out any of the contract garbage. So just a warning to people swapping phones. Maybe I had bad luck today or AT&T is making policy changes.

***Also important to note, Was at a Apple store and asked about this warranty void if you take out the sim... they were clueless why AT&T would say such a thing. Which is what I figured.
    Last edited by Jeremy Sikora; 01-17-2009 at 12:49 PM.
    01-17-2009 12:44 PM
    What about if you have an iPhone 3G plan and you had, let's say a Centro, could you use the AT&T sim in that?
    01-17-2009 12:52 PM
    I'm not sure, I have a Bold and iPhone 3G. Had the BB plan and it works fine on the iPhone. I've switched a few times with no issues until today. What a pain. 3 phone calls and 40 minutes later it was switched but come on... Previously it was a 5 minute phone call.
    01-17-2009 12:57 PM
    This is exactly what I was reading from others yesterday after I googled it after our exchange yesterday on Twitter.
    I suppose that is why I was asking so many questions. It kinda sucks. So, which one are you going to keep activated?
    I do know, that if you have a iPhone 3G plan and use it say on a centro everything will work but MMS... possibly voicemail as well since your account would be set up for VVM.
    This is exactly what I was reading from others yesterday after I googled it after our exchange yesterday on Twitter.
    I suppose that is why I was asking so many questions. It kinda sucks. So, which one are you going to keep activated?
    Leaving it should be ok. I've never had issues before. I may have just spoke with someone who was completely clueless. Just want to warn people to be careful. That's all.

***And a BB plan will work on a iPhone. Just without visual voicemail. AT&T will say it doesn't work. But it does.
    Last edited by Jeremy Sikora; 01-17-2009 at 01:01 PM.
    01-17-2009 12:59 PM
    Yeah, they told me yesterday that it wouldn't work. I didn't argue with them, just thanked them for the information. **rolls eyes**

I wonder what would happen if you just ignore the text mssg? Will they just charge your acct for both data plans? I have a line that is not being used, I could just add a bb plan to that one and pay for both if they are going to charge me anyways. Ya know?
    01-17-2009 01:15 PM
    That's why I have an iPhone 2G. I have a blackberry enterprise plan and just stick the SIM into the iPhone. The 2g is available contract free as a refurb - just activate it with Quickpwn. I've never received a message from AT&T.
    01-17-2009 01:20 PM
    Yeah, they told me yesterday that it wouldn't work. I didn't argue with them, just thanked them for the information. **rolls eyes**

I wonder what would happen if you just ignore the text mssg? Will they just charge your acct for both data plans? I have a line that is not being used, I could just add a bb plan to that one and pay for both if they are going to charge me anyways. Ya know?
    You could do that sure. For me I just want one line. It should not be that difficult. I'm sure nothing would happen. Nothing has ever happened with me. For me it's not a big deal to call and switch it over. Both plans cost the same. And usually it's a five minute call. Hopefully today was just the case of someone who knew nothing... and that was obvious from thinking I voided the warranty by removing the SIM...
    01-17-2009 01:20 PM
    That's why I have an iPhone 2G. I have a blackberry enterprise plan and just stick the SIM into the iPhone. The 2g is available contract free as a refurb - just activate it with Quickpwn. I've never received a message from AT&T.
    3G is 3G... should be no different.

And I need 3G.
    01-17-2009 01:21 PM
    BA,

I switch back and forth between my Treo Pro (3G) and my 1st Gen iPhone (Edge) with no apparent problems. I did get a stray text message every time I get a voice mail, when using the TP while subscribed to the iPhone plans on AT&T. I'm currently using my Treo Pro and have subscribed to the "proper" AT&T package. I'll switch the SIM sometime over the next couple of days and report on what happens.

Visual voice mail probably won't work, since I'm on a PDA plan but everything else should,

Bear in mind that my iPhone is 1st Gen with the current firmware.

Best,

Bill
    Last edited by eugarps; 01-18-2009 at 08:20 AM. Reason: Details
    01-18-2009 08:15 AM
    BA,

I switch back and forth between my Treo Pro (3G) and my 1st Gen iPhone (Edge) with no apparent problems. I did get a stray text message every time I get a voice mail, when using the TP while subscribed to the iPhone plans on AT&T. I'm currently using my Treo Pro and have subscribed to the "proper" AT&T package. I'll switch the SIM sometime over the next couple of days and report on what happens.

Visual voice mail probably won't work, since I'm on a PDA plan but everything else should,

Bear in mind that my iPhone is 1st Gen with the current firmware.

Best,

Bill
    I had a pro as well, when I would switch back and forth with that I never ran into problems. Perhaps because it is a unlocked phone. But let us know what happens.

Or it may be related directly with the iPhone 3G.
    01-18-2009 10:25 AM
    Wow. That's messed up. I just took my sim out to get on my Curve to delete things I forgot to delete yesterday, but i couldn't connect to the web.

Then I visit here and read this.

I think AT&T is getting a little too full of themselves.
    01-18-2009 11:49 AM
    Is it because you have a BB plan?

I have a Treo with unlimited $30 data plan, and use it all week. On the weekends, I swap the SIM into my newer 3G. No problems except Visual Voice mail, and I use Youmail anyway so that doesn't matter.

Haven't heard from them yet....

Oh yeah, i didn't buy my 3g from AT&T, I picked it up on ebay and just swapped my Treo SIM over (and back and forth). I just swapped my SIM over after reading this, and nothing...
    Last edited by kiwisholland; 01-20-2009 at 11:39 AM. Reason: Forgot:
    01-20-2009 11:31 AM
    Is it because you have a BB plan?

I have a Treo with unlimited $30 data plan, and use it all week. On the weekends, I swap the SIM into my newer 3G. No problems except Visual Voice mail, and I use Youmail anyway so that doesn't matter.

Haven't heard from them yet....
    It's possible. I did get one text a while back while using a Treo Pro as well. Just ignored it though, and nothing ever happened.
    01-20-2009 11:32 AM

Hey,

How did you get the 2g as a contract free refurb ? I'm looking for one.

I have never seen them on the website anymore... Did you call them and was it recent ?

Thanks,

Tex
    01-20-2009 03:10 PM
    I have a 2G iPhone, I've gone through 3 already, when they've broken, I've switched back to my BlackBerry 8700c without a problem. Last time I tried was back in October.

According to the 3 different Apple Store Tech guys, removing your sim card from your iPhone does not remove the warranty.
    01-20-2009 11:29 PM
    Hello!

I have an existing 2G iPhone on a Go Phone plan.

I'd like to activate a new 3G iPhone for my girl and switch sim cards.

Any idea if this will work?

Thank you!
    01-21-2009 03:07 PM
    BA,

As promised, I swapped my SIM back into my iPhone and will be using it for the next few days. I'll see how it works and let you know. I have a PDA plan with unlimited texting and data. My iPhone is a 2G that I've had for about a year.

Best,

Bill
    01-21-2009 08:48 PM
    Thanks. As I said earlier, I think it has to do with a bb plan and iPhone 3g. Still a pain for me now.
    01-21-2009 08:50 PM
    BA,

Probably is the BB plan. It handles data and email differently going through the RIM system. I had a BB and liked it but sold it when I got my iPhone. Thus I never experienced the cross platform issues you're dealing with.

I'll probably be upgrading to a 3G iPhone soon. Some APPS are coming that I needed and they'll allow me to sell the Treo Pro and just rely on the iPhone. Boy, I wish someone would come up with a good cut-and-paste and a good Word and Excel package. DataViz has been working on it for a while but nothing on the market yet.

Best,

Bill
    01-21-2009 08:56 PM
    to begin removing you sim does not void the warranty. usually your right BA you can simply switch the sim back and forth. there may be a difference now that att changed their data plans.

thats the only thing i can think of as everything else has stayed the same.

im on a mediamax and iphone getting text to "contact a rep to get me on the propper plan" pshh!!
    01-22-2009 08:20 PM
    BA,

After trying the SIM in my iPhone for a day, I can report the following:

1. The iPhone functions just fine for email, web viewing, texting and phone functions.

2. The iPhone does not alert you, when a voice mail arrives by showing a number on the iPhone's voice mail button and you can't answer access it by touching the voice mail button on the iPhone. I found out the hard way, because I missed my wife's call ...... She didn't understand I was doing a science experiment.....

Just to repeat, my current main brain is a Palm Treo Pro which is a WinMo machine and I have an AT&T PDA plan to support it.

Best,

Bill
    01-22-2009 08:50 PM
    BA,

After trying the SIM in my iPhone for a day, I can report the following:

1. The iPhone functions just fine for email, web viewing, texting and phone functions.

2. The iPhone does not alert you, when a voice mail arrives by showing a number on the iPhone's voice mail button and you can't answer access it by touching the voice mail button on the iPhone. I found out the hard way, because I missed my wife's call ...... She didn't understand I was doing a science experiment.....

Just to repeat, my current main brain is a Palm Treo Pro which is a WinMo machine and I have an AT&T PDA plan to support it.

Best,

Bill
    I had the same results with my Treo Pro. Seems like we can say it is the BB plan creating the issue.
    01-22-2009 11:27 PM
    i was sick of AT&T's crap so thats why i switched to tmobile and just unlocked my iphone to use it with tmobile and i seruously think it works better now.
    01-23-2009 04:19 PM
44 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD