Alarm Clock Functionality

Sheffster

Jan 11, 2009
Visit site
Back again...

I set my iPhone alarm last night before going to bed and as I have always done with my phones I then switched the phone off. The end result of this is that the alarm didn't go off.

All previous phones I have owned will self switch on when the alarm is set and wake you up.

Have a missed a setting or is this functionality not available on the iPhone, maening that you must leave the phone in standby mode. If not does anyone know of an app that will do this?

I switch my phone off at night to avoid any interuptions and preserve the battery.

jamesus

TiPb Forum Staff
Jul 10, 2008
Visit site
Switching the phone off is like turning off your TV. When it is off, it doesn't do anything. What you can do is go into Settings and switch on Airplance Mode. This will turn cell service off but leave the phone on for alarms and other progams to run.

Tunnelrunner

Jul 7, 2008
Visit site
@ Sheffster,

Like James said, even when you shut the phone off (Airplane mode "on"), the alarms, etc. should still work.

Make sure you didn't shut your ringer/sounds off. Assuming you set the alarm correctly, there is one other possibility...I have noticed (in my 7 months using this phone) that about 5% of the time, the alarm will NOT go off. It's rare and it doesn't happen a lot, but it's kind of disturbing when you rely on it as much as we do (ex: to wake you up for work). I've e-mailed Apple about this in the past and haven't gotten a reply but I hope they're fixing the bug on that.

To help combat this problem (to make sure my morning work alarms go off), I always do my daily soft-reset in the evening.

Brent

Sheffster

Jan 11, 2009
Visit site
Thank you.

So what you are saying is that you can't switch your phone off as it won't auto reboot like a regular cell.

So the best solution is to swich on airplane mode which will stop any incoming calls, emails, text etc but will activate the alarm.

This is very helpful, thank you for your help.

Tunnelrunner

Jul 7, 2008
Visit site
That is exactly what I'm saying, yes. (the alarms will work regardless of whether the phone is on or not, but as you said, many of us like to shut the phone off at night, thus we turn Airplane mode "ON")

Hope this helps,
B.

Txdogs

Jan 9, 2009
Visit site
I used the mute switch the other night and the alarm still worked. I read online that it would and it did.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
waeriyadh