Am I the only person who thinks Exchange on iPhone sucks?

BuddyDave

Dec 31, 2008
buddy.com
... and I mean that as a serious question.

People were over the moon when Apple announced Exchange support. They nearly called a national holiday when the update came that supported it.

But in my opinion, it has been developed by a bunch of people who have never used Exchange as their primary mail server. Poor integration of calendaring/meeting invites, inconsistent UI, difficult to navigate between Exchange features (email/calendar/no tasks), etc...

I seriously hope Exchange support gets some major love in the next firmware update, but I'm not holding my breath.

Thoughts?

Cheers, Dave.

joeya7x

Jan 4, 2009
myspace.com
Exchange isnt "the best" right now, but it is a step up from the last firmware (below 2.0) we just need our Push Notification to make it an excellent service. Im just happy my Yahoo Mail does get pushed to my device.

BuddyDave

Dec 31, 2008
buddy.com
Exchange push notification

Actually, I do have push notifications on my Exchange mail - no problems there, I just wish the rest of it worked better!

DM

BuddyDave

Dec 31, 2008
buddy.com
Well, I think you'll be waiting. POP by definition doesn't support push. You'd need to do some additional polling type system methinks.

My number one gripe is that I receive calendar invites in both my calendar and in my inbox - and I can't accept it in the mailbox (like I can in Outlook) and I can't accept and *delete the email* in calendar. So, it is totally disjointed...

Cheers, Dave.

joeya7x

Jan 4, 2009
myspace.com
i guess so, my blackberry handled push pop support but than again it is a blackberry. Well no phone is perfect, there are always going to be those little things that bug us about our phones, like when i started getting my contacts pushed, it would make duplicates of the ones i already had. Instead I just sync them via outlook, so not on the top of priority list like Copy/Paste and MMS, but is pretty annoying.

jamesus

TiPb Forum Staff
Jul 10, 2008
Visit site
Things I would like to see improved in Exchange:

1. Tasks. Seriously, Apple. Most people who use Exchange use the Tasks portion. I'm not holding my breath for this.
2. Calendar Invites. I want to be able to accept but not send a confirmation automatically.
3. Calendar Categories/Colors. I have all of my appointments categorized and color coded. Currently not handled on the iPhone. Along with this, I would like to be able to select a category when adding an appointment.
4. Contact Categories. Select contact categories, same as calendar events/appointments.

I'm sure there is more that I would like, but alas I haven't had any caffeine this morning and seem to be a little slow...

Rene Ritchie

Old Man Ritchie
Jan 12, 2007
www.about.me
Given that Exchange (under the hood), is a nasty ugly beast I would sooner seen slayed and replaced with clean open-source standards, I use it for work, and use it on the iPhone, and I like it on the iPhone pretty well.

I never liked Outlook either (with it's single PST of failure file), so I'm happy enough with individual Apps for each of the PIM types, as long as/if they flow from one to the other elegantly enough (which, admittedly, is only partial right now).

That said, I think Jamesus has pushed the correct on all he wants.

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
I've never had a issue with exchange on the iPhone. Everything gets pushed instantly... contacts, calendar, email... no issues.

sangamc

Dec 28, 2008
Visit site
Things I would like to see improved in Exchange:

1. Tasks. Seriously, Apple. Most people who use Exchange use the Tasks portion. I'm not holding my breath for this.
2. Calendar Invites. I want to be able to accept but not send a confirmation automatically.
3. Calendar Categories/Colors. I have all of my appointments categorized and color coded. Currently not handled on the iPhone. Along with this, I would like to be able to select a category when adding an appointment.
4. Contact Categories. Select contact categories, same as calendar events/appointments.

I'm sure there is more that I would like, but alas I haven't had any caffeine this morning and seem to be a little slow...

another item to add to the list .... collapsable folders. my exchange mailbox has almost 100 different folders. i also have rules setup on the exchange server to put messages into specific folders when they arrive. its so annoying when i receive a new message to have to go hunting through all my folders on the iphone to find it

BuddyDave

Dec 31, 2008
buddy.com
Well, let's be clear - it isn't a "buggy" implementation. But Exchange enables an awesome mail experience, and my own personal issues with Outlook aside, Mobile Outlook on Windows Mobile rocks.

Anyone who has spent considerable time with Mobile Outlook on WinMo understands how deficient this implementation of Exchange support on iPhone is. Whether it is deliberate in order to push MobileMe ahead, and whether just benign ignorance (since I'm sure the dev team doesn't actually host their full time work email on Exchange), I'm not real sure...

Thanks, Dave.

sangamc

Dec 28, 2008
Visit site
I think a little bit of both. I see jockeying for mobile me and ignorance to exchange features as culprits. As my companies exchange admin, blackberry and iphone user. I would have done a lot of thing a different.

JohnH59

Dec 19, 2004
Visit site
But "Tasks" do not just pushed, correct?

I installed a relatively new program called iMExchange that syncs my Notes and Tasks through our Exchange server. It works great. I can add Notes or Tasks from my iPhone and they sync back to Exchange. The only problem I have with the program is that currently the data does not reside on the iPhone. Each time you launch the app, it retrieves data from the Exchange server. I started out with iMNotes and then later purchased iMExchange. They also have iMTasks for those that don't use Notes.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Erik4711