Hi,

Please allow me to rant a bit. The iPhone is a really nice phone, sms, email device but it's not ready for the business world. I've had my Generation One for a year and am still waiting for a few things. Currently, I have to carry my iPhone plus at least my Palm TX with it keyboard in order to function on the road. So I've made a list of what would help me stay with iPhone instead of going to the AT&T Fuze:

1. A real word processor and spreadsheet package. This could be Ink and Numbers from Apple or Documents-to-Go from Data Viz. I just need something that will sync with either my Mac or my PC.

2. Cut and Paste. Having to re-type stuff is a pain.

3. A Bluetooth keyboard.

4. For someone like Telenav or Tom-Tom to come up with a GPS app.

Don't get me wrong. I really like the iPhone. I used it recently on a drive from our home in western Maryland to Laramie, WY and back for its Podcast capability. It kept use entertained for 4,000 miles.

Thanks for allowing me to whine a bit,

Bill
    Last edited by eugarps; 12-29-2008 at 09:53 PM.
    12-29-2008 09:37 PM
    For Docs you may want to check out "MobileFiles Pro" from QuickOffice. It will view and store Word, Excel, PP, Pages, Numbers, Keynote, PDF, and some others on your iPhone. It says it has a filing system like a desktop. It will also allow you to edit and create .xls docs only, but no Word docs yet.
    It is a step in the right direction. D2G is coming soon. I keep getting emails about it, just not sure when.

I use to use an IR Keyboard with my Palm T5 and Treo when I had them. Once I got use to inputting data with the Treo keyboard, I stopped using the IR altogether. It was just one less thing I needed to carry. So I am indifferent about the BT keyboard. If I have a lot of typing to do I will do it on my Laptop.

Apple does not seem in a big hurry for cut-n-paste. I really never have used that function, but I know a lot of people do.

I find the Google Apps to be fine. Following the little blue dot is kind of fun. Just need to be careful while you are driving. It is no Garmin but not too bad, IMHO.

What I like most about the iPhone is how quickly that they are adding apps. No one is developing faster for their device than Apple is right now. No One. So I firmly believe we will get many of the features that you are suggesting in the future. Whatever features they decided to give us, I just hope they are stabl and do not cause the phone to crash! That is why I left my Treo behind. It could do everything but when it crashed a couple of times a day it became unusable. I am willing to live without a few features to have a unit that "just works".

BTW, I have my own business and the iPhone is the only device that I carry, and I too travel a good bit.
    12-30-2008 09:44 AM
    The iPhone is great for my two businesses, and does everything needed. I never use the iPod or play games.... I just use it for business. It's perfect. Other smartphones are a joke.
    12-30-2008 12:20 PM
    Well I supposed I'll hang in there for a bit more. WEBIS bringing out an iPhone version of their Pocket Informant. It sounds like iWork may be coming for iPhone as a Web app. I'd still like to have an external BT keyboard..... Maybe next Christmas....

Bill
    01-02-2009 10:00 AM
    In my opinion a bluetooth keyboard is not needed :P An Iphone(3G) is a portable device and i don't think people should be talking keyboards around with them ;P

I would like landscape mode typing though
    01-02-2009 04:24 PM
    Ah, but many people are much more email oriented than others. To these people, a keyboard might prove much more important that it is to you, even if the device is portable. The on screen touch keyboard is one of the nicest of its kind I have encountered, but I still have not met anyone who types better or with less errors on it than they do on a physical keyboard. Perhaps this person is typing long emails that are pages in length. That can be cumbersome on an iPhone.

I think at least providing the ability to use a bluetooth keyboard, obviously not required, can do nothing but help the iPhone be a more versatile device. Plus they make those soft roll out keyboards these days that are quite easy to travel with.
    01-06-2009 11:52 AM
    Hi,

Please allow me to rant a bit. The iPhone is a really nice phone, sms, email device but it's not ready for the business world. I've had my Generation One for a year and am still waiting for a few things. Currently, I have to carry my iPhone plus at least my Palm TX with it keyboard in order to function on the road. So I've made a list of what would help me stay with iPhone instead of going to the AT&T Fuze:

1. A real word processor and spreadsheet package. This could be Ink and Numbers from Apple or Documents-to-Go from Data Viz. I just need something that will sync with either my Mac or my PC.

2. Cut and Paste. Having to re-type stuff is a pain.
    This is on almost everyone's list. One uses it most for those kinds of arbitrary strings that are difficult to remember, much less key enter.

I think that if anyone could figure out how to do it, we would have it already. While it is easy to do within an application, across applications it is such a primitive function that, having left it out in the beginning, I do not see an easy way to add it on. The paste function is the easy part; it is just a button on the key-board. Invoking the marking, copying, or cut function is the hard part. One needs some kind of an escape mechanism that one can invoke from any application without the knowledge of or interference with the application. There is only one control button on the iPhone and both single and double click on this button already have an associated function. [The Treo uses the stroke key but the soft keyboard on the iPhone is usually hidden at the point that one wants to invoke mark, copy, or cut.]

3. A Bluetooth keyboard.
    I am sure that I would buy one if it were available; I have bought three in the past. However, I rarely had one with me when I needed it.

4. For someone like Telenav or Tom-Tom to come up with a GPS app.
    Those who seem to think that the Google application is any kind of a substitute for these, does not understand the problem. Orientation of the map in the direction one is driving is important, as is the ability to automatically detect when one is off course and to automatically re-route. TomTom is the only reason that I keep my Treo but the Treo and the external GPS are two more devices that I must carry and batteries that I must keep charged.

Don't get me wrong. I really like the iPhone. I used it recently on a drive from our home in western Maryland to Laramie, WY and back for its Podcast capability. It kept use entertained for 4,000 miles.

Thanks for allowing me to whine a bit,

Bill
    No fault, no blame.
    01-06-2009 01:34 PM
    This year's MacWorld was not very encouraging for business iPhone users. iPhone is a gaming and entertainment console that you can use for sms and as a phone. I had hopes it would grow beyond that. How many "f--ting" simulators do we need.....
    01-08-2009 09:48 PM
    ... but many people are much more email oriented than others....
    I agree with IFone3G-8GB...

Maybe I'll get a kitchen sink for the backseat of my car. I'm much more into drinking water than others.
    01-08-2009 10:28 PM
    .....How many "f--ting" simulators do we need.....
    I would not have expected the first one, much less that there would be competition. I would have hoped that Apple would have protected us from applications whose very names are rude.
    01-09-2009 12:40 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD