I have had the same problem three times in the past - when I try and upgrade the firmware using iTunes (proper current version) on my PC, the upgrade process freezes. So I have taken the step of borrowing a Mac, upgrade on that then synch with the PC. I believe it is because the USB voltage on at least that PC was insufficient to power the process. Has anyone had the same experience? It took lots of hours and iPhone support folks to undo the problem prior to going to the Mac approach.
    12-29-2008 11:17 AM
    Hi, I'm a PC (Dell) user and I have had the same problem. I cannot download the current Apple iphone 3G firmware version 2.2. I've tried over and over. My iphone syncs with the computer fine, and I can download other things on the computer and in itunes fine, but when I click update, it runs for a while then I get an error message saying that the network connection timed out. I've got the most recently updated itunes, have run diagnostics, all of which check out.

Does anyone know a fix for this that doesn't involve using an Apple computer (which I don't have, and frankly, shouldn't be necessary for a product marketed to work with both Mac and PC)?
    01-05-2009 12:22 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD