I am looking at getting an iphone, however I wanted to ask a few questions first, and I was hoping they could be answered here. I am currently using a Palm Treo 750 that I have had for almost 2 years now. Here they are:

1. Can I view and/or edit Word, excel, and PDf files on the iphone?
    I am a supervisor who relies on email communication. I do respond by email on my Treo quite a bit, so that is a necessity. My department often sends Word, excel, and PDF files as attachments, so I would need to be able to open those and view them. I VERY RARELY edit any word or excel document on my Treo, so I mainly just need to be able to view them.

2. My Department utilizes Microsoft exchange, and I have succesfully set up our Department email on a co workers iphone, so I know I can get my department email on it, but i also have all my contacts and calender appointments set up on my exchange. Once I set up the iphone to sync with Exchange, will it put my contacts and appointments on the iphone?

3. Also, I am assuming the Iphone has a removabale SIM card that I could switch devices if I ever wanted to.

I appreciate any responses. Thanks.
    12-20-2008 03:02 PM
    1. Yes, you can view the document, you just won't be able to edit it. If the document is an attachement, as long as you can access your e-mail, you can access the document (view it, forward it, etc.) To actually carry docs with you, I recommned using the App "Discovery" it is an offline viewer, it's free and it transfer's files via your iPhone wifi.

2. Yes, 1 Exchange account is supported on the iPhone and also allows Push. It's what I use and is very nice alternative to MobileMe (contacts & calendar that is)

3. Yes, I keep my old phone around just in case. For instance when I traveled to another country, I removed the sim card and stuck it in my Blackberry. But don't expect to use the data plan, it howerver, will work to make calls. Also you'll recieve voicemail notifications via SMS when you switch to a different phone, you'll have to cancel you data plan through AT&T (or whomever you use) if you plan to be away from the iPhone for an extended period of time.
    Last edited by msbaylor; 12-20-2008 at 03:49 PM.
    12-20-2008 03:42 PM
    I have the unlimited data plan on AT&T for my Palm Treo 750. I did contact at&t and was told it would not cost me any more since I already had the data plan. Was I told correctly, or is it just a matter of actually switching to the "IPhone" plan which is the same amount of money but technically a different plan.

Also, on the email is it like Windows Mobile in the fact that once you have the email itself downloaded, you can access the attachment without being online so to speak.

I have never used a mac and use PCs quite a bit, so switching to an Apple product will be a little weird to me, but I am a patient person that likes gadgets so I feel I can work through it .

Right now I am in a debate with myself over the Iphone or the Fuze. The Fuze of course is Windows Mobile and I am familliar with it, but having had an opportunity to play with an Iphone a few times, I am intriqued. I just want to make sure it will do what I need it to. Thanks for your responses.
    12-20-2008 04:03 PM
    Most likely its the same amount, but a different plan. That's how it was for me at one point. You'll sign up for the data plan though iTunes when syncing it for the first time (if that's how they are still doing it).

E-mail attachements can be viewed once downloaded, only if they have already been fully downloaded within the e-mail. This only works in my Gmail account, not my exchange account. I set up a gmail account just to do this. I forward it from my exchange account to my gmail account to have in on me. Other accounts I am unsure of.
    Note: when you try to access it will will ask you to use wifi, you have to press the home button then re-enter your e-mail to get around it. So really it's a work around not really a feature.

You should'nt have a problem switiching to the iPhone. Whether you use a Mac or PC getting an iPhone is an expirience in itself

You may want to check out the Fuze vs iPhone reviews on the blog part of this website.
    Last edited by msbaylor; 12-20-2008 at 04:31 PM.
    12-20-2008 04:29 PM
    I use Yahoo mail and it too will save my attachment for later. However, and this may have been your problem with exchange, it seems the iPhone has a pretty small cache so if you exit mail, do a few things over the internet, then go back to mail, you'll find that you have to redownload the file again. But there are 3rd party apps out there that let you store files right on the phone, and I think some will even let you email the attachment to a server and sync it back to the app (am I crazy, or did I really read that somewhere?). Apps-to-go is expected to release their app that allows editing of documents in the near future.
    I had never used a mac before either, but am very familiar with the PC. So from that perspective, the iPhone is nothing to be afraid of. It's easy to use, easy to figure out, and just plain fun to have. I don't get mad at my phone anymore, and as a gadget guy that says a lot
    12-24-2008 02:45 AM
    Coming from a BlackBerry, not being able to download files and save them right on the phone is a bummer for me that's making me hold off on pulling the trigger on an iPhone 3G. I've had videos that I've downloaded disappear off the internet and that's when I'm glad I have them saved on my phone. However, the iPhone's superior selection of apps and media capabilites are keeping it on my radar because that's what I use my phone for the most.
    12-24-2008 02:13 PM
    Seems like too many "work arounds" to me. I wonder when Data Viz or someone else is going to come up with a real word processor and spreadsheet of the iPhone? I've had my iPhone for over a year and now I'm probably headed back to the AT&T Fuze. That way I won't have to carry my iPhone and my Palm TX plus it's keyboard.

Bill
    12-29-2008 09:16 PM
    Seems like too many "work arounds" to me. I wonder when Data Viz or someone else is going to come up with a real word processor and spreadsheet of the iPhone? I've had my iPhone for over a year and now I'm probably headed back to the AT&T Fuze. That way I won't have to carry my iPhone and my Palm TX plus it's keyboard.

Bill
    Yes, Data Viz is working on Docs 2 Go.
    12-30-2008 09:01 AM
    I am not sure if it has been mention yet or not , but QuickOffice has released "MobileFiles Pro" in the App Store for $10. It reads all M$ docs as well as iWorks docs. That inlcudes Power Point and KeyNote. It allows you to edit and create Excel spread sheets on your iPhone. Only .xls for now. No Word docs yet. They also say the have a built in filing systems to store docs on the iPhone that resembles your desktop. May be worth checking out especialy for the 30 day free trial.

You may also look at AirSharing to move docs of all kinds to your iPhone via WiFi. Works great. The docs are stored on your iPhone and not in the "cloud".

That is what MobileMe is for.
    12-30-2008 09:18 AM
    Well I purchased the Iphone yesterday and am loving it so far. I appreciate the feedback and will be reading this board to learn more.
    01-02-2009 07:09 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD