Kevin at Crackberry.com calls the iPhone a "stop and go" phone. What is he talking about? I am assuming he is referring to BB "push" email?

I get the same with thing with MoMe. I get my emails, Calender changes, and Contact chages as soon as they hit the server, and I believe that you can get the same thing with Gmail.

Soooo..... What is he talking about?
    12-12-2008 11:24 PM
    I belive what he was talking about is, with the iPhone when doing a task like making a call you have to stop and give all of your attention to the phone.
    12-13-2008 08:42 AM
    Probably the fact there is not multitasking, only one app at a time (except the native iPod of course)
    12-13-2008 01:00 PM
    I think he feels like it takes too many steps to get things done on the iPhone. Personally I feel it simply comes from the fact he does not use the iPhone as his main device. It takes time to get used to things. Maybe he will chime in to better explain himself.
    12-13-2008 02:56 PM
    I wrote about this fairly in depth in my Palm Treo Pro Round Robin review...
    12-13-2008 03:10 PM
    Not that we should do it, but text while driving... I don't think it's as easy as doing it on a BB.
    12-13-2008 09:17 PM
    Thanks for the link Kevin. I understand what you are saying but not sure I really agree. I will admit though that I do not know that much about BB. Most of my friends have them. (Company issued) I was even in line the first day to get a Storm. If there had not been about 20 other people in front of me I might have gotten one. I am not waiting that long for anything that is not food related. When i took my wife to see the Storm we both had probs working it. I did not mind it that much but she did not like it at all. The iPhone, to us, seemed much more intuitive. When I get a phone call I answer it. When I get an email, I reply or forward it. When I get an SMS , I reply to it. All without unnecessary steps. Again IMVHO.

All of my BB friends are very busy people as you have described, but I own my own business. So respectfully no one is any busier than I am, and I do not feel that I have to stop and use my iPhone.

All of this said, if I did not have an iPhone. I would probably get a Bold. That is a very nice looking device.

And Jay....shame on you for driving and texting! Are you crazy!
    12-13-2008 11:26 PM
    Not that we should do it, but text while driving... I don't think it's as easy as doing it on a BB.
    Easier for me! It just depends on how comfortable you are with a device. I would not expect Kevin or anyone else who sleeps, eats, breaths blackberry to feel comfortable with the iPhone or any other device.
    12-14-2008 01:39 PM
    I have some issues with the iPhone (BT, MMS, Disk Mode) same as everyone else, but its workflow seems perfect to me. Yes, it is Palm-like in that there is no real multi-tasking (Backgrounder exception), but as has been stated, in general I am only gonna be doing one thing at a time (exception being talking or ipodding while looking something up - which is possible) and I don't mind that it shuts things down when I am not using them - it saves resources.

That being said Push and having the ability to have programs run background processes would be nice for some apps.
    Last edited by combatdoc; 12-14-2008 at 07:05 PM.
    12-14-2008 06:57 PM
    I think Bad Ash makes a good point. Any phone can be considered a stop-and-go phone if you aren't used to it. Give someone any phone for long enough and it'll become an on-the-go phone. imo
    12-14-2008 07:56 PM
    It's the same reason the battery on the iPhone drains so fast: we can't put it down!

The Berry may demand you keep checking it. The iPhone demands you stick with it. It's just such a compelling, enjoyable experience. You can lose yourself in full web browsing while waiting in line at a store, watch a movie while on a plane, even the settings can be fun to use.
    12-14-2008 11:29 PM
    It's the same reason the battery on the iPhone drains so fast: we can't put it down!

The Berry may demand you keep checking it. The iPhone demands you stick with it. It's just such a compelling, enjoyable experience. You can lose yourself in full web browsing while waiting in line at a store, watch a movie while on a plane, even the settings can be fun to use.
    LOL! Not to mention its got the "just works" thing going on.. ask my 3 year old. In about 5 minutes she had figured out how to unlock the phone (no password), flick the screen to "TV" (YouTube) and start playing video. Now she can get to "typing thing" (notes), camera, Photos, and "the Orange Button" (Ipod). She drained the battery almost last night. My wife found 83 pictures of the TV, toilet (Go figure), my daughters feet, and our Christmas Tree on her iPhone.

I told my wife that she would HAVE to passlock her phone to keep the battery up and be able to censor YouTube from our 3 year old (Who is currently watching Yoda Numa Numa on the iPhone)
    12-15-2008 02:50 AM
    I wrote about this fairly in depth in my Palm Treo Pro Round Robin review...
    This seems to be the relevant bit:

The iPhone is awesome for a lot of things (we'll talk about that device in two weeks), but for people who don't have time to stop and fully focus their attention on the phone every time they reach for it, the user experience is less than optimal.
    I've never used a Blackberry but I think it would be quite wrong to suggest that every iPhone user has to 'stop and fully focus their attention on the phone every time they reach for it'. I'm not quite sure how you're defining 'fully-focused attention', but I'm pretty sure mine isn't always. I can for instance keep walking, keep carrying a case, keep drinking a cup of coffee, keep eating my breakfast, keep doing a whole host of things in fact. Is the user experience 'less than optimal'? Who's to say what 'optimal' is, but the experience is just fine for me.

Personally, if I was forced to define 'on-the-go phones' and 'stop-and-go phones' it would probably mostly have to do with use one-handed. The iPhone is almost 100% usable one-handed for me.
    Last edited by marcol; 12-15-2008 at 08:55 AM.
    12-15-2008 08:42 AM
    Perhaps, to convince Kevin that he's wrong, we should draw up a list of non-iPhone things we do while using our iPhones?
    12-15-2008 08:48 AM
    This seems to be the relevant bit:

I've never used a Blackberry but I think it would be quite wrong to suggest that every iPhone user has to 'stop and fully focus their attention on the phone every time they reach for it'. I'm not quite sure how you're defining 'fully-focused attention', but I'm pretty sure mine isn't always. I can for instance keep walking, keep carrying a case, keep drinking a cup of coffee, keep eating my breakfast, keep doing a whole host of things in fact. Is the user experience 'less than optimal'? Who's to say what 'optimal' is, but the experience is just fine for me.

Personally, if I was forced to define 'on-the-go phones' and 'stop-and-go phones' it would probably mostly have to do with use one-handed. The iPhone is almost 100% usable one-handed for me.
    You are correct. Kevin does not seem to be able to use the iPhone with one hand. Again that all comes down to him living Blackberry. And that is ok.
    12-15-2008 11:34 AM
    You are correct. Kevin does not seem to be able to use the iPhone with one hand. Again that all comes down to him living Blackberry. And that is ok.
    Of course it's ok. My objection (such as it is, and I don't want to get at all arsey about this) is the generalisation of that experience to everyone else. I would have thought the Round Robin makes it abundantly clear (like it wasn't already!) that people have different experiences of devices.

To be honest, I'm not sure Kevin's heart was ever really in it. He says he only bought an iPhone because the line was short
    Last edited by marcol; 12-16-2008 at 03:00 AM.
    12-16-2008 02:57 AM
    Ok. Kevin seems to have moderated his stance a little from what he said in his Treo Pro Round Robin article. This from his iPhone review:

My on the go vs. stop and use theory was largely derived from observing my own behaviors in using both of these devices, but that doesn't mean they necessarily apply to everyone. For example, over at the iPhoneBlog member Bad Ash would argue till the cows come home that he's just as capable at using his iPhone 3G on the go and one handed as he is with his BlackBerry Bold (yes he owns both, though he's been an iPhone 3G user longer). And I'm sure he's not the only iPhone user who would argue this. Despite these types of arguments, it's pretty clear that RIM and Apple have different approaches and philosophies to the way they build their smartphones.
    Bad Ash, well done for that and for spotting Kevin's real problem:

Even with the BlackBerry Storm RIM tried to keep as much of the CrackBerry philosophy' in the device as possible, which is a tough thing to do when going to a touchscreen for input. While trackwheel/trackball BlackBerry smartphones are extremely easy to use one handed - you only use them one-handed unless you're actually typing out a message (in which case you go into the two thumbs, head down CrackBerry prayer position) - having big a ole piece of glass immediately sacrifices on the one handedness of the device as you'll often find yourself holding the phone in one hand and tapping and swiping with the other as you navigate your way around the phone and applications.
    Unfortunately Kevin's back to his generalising ways here ('you'll often find yourself') but it does at least explain his problem: he really can't use the iPhone one-handed. Kevin, seriously, some of us can, and some of us do. My iPhone use is almost exactly like you describe your use of conventional Blackberrys: one-handed except when typing. (I say 'almost exactly' because I do sometimes use the pinch zoom gesture).
    12-16-2008 04:33 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD