iPhone (no 3G) vs Storm (3G)

xcruser88x

Dec 8, 2008
Visit site
I'm not looking for a comparison between the two phones on a 3g network - I would definitely pick the iPhone. My dilemma is choosing between an iPhone and a Storm living in an area where AT&T has no 3G network but Verizon does. So - my choice is a subpar phone on a superior network or a superior phone on a subpar network. One of the major reasons I'm getting a smart phone is for browsing, and while I think the iPhone browser is much better, I'm wondering if it being significantly slower than the verizon 3g network will outweigh the advantages. Thoughts?

Duvi

Jun 17, 2008
Visit site
From my experience, I've noticed that EDGE isn't to far behind CDMA 3g, but that's my experience in NJ/NYC market.

I also say service comes first and subpar shouldn't be a non factor due to a device.

That being said, it is pretty much up to you and what means more to you. Do you have great AT&T EDGE service and no 3g or subpar service in general? If it is the first and I was in that position, I would chose the iPhone. I honestly don't like the Verizon network and never will.

xcruser88x

Dec 8, 2008
Visit site
AT&T EDGE in my area (Roanoke, VA) is ok, but not great. Verizon's EVDO is much, much better here. My major concern is that the EDGE network is going to be slow enough to make me not enjoy browsing. Have you used EDGE happily?

AZMerf

Jul 4, 2008
Visit site
I am amazed how many times I am surfing when I am within range of WiFi. AT&T is in most Starbucks now. Does the Storm have WiFi?

Duvi

Jun 17, 2008
Visit site
AT&T EDGE in my area (Roanoke, VA) is ok, but not great. Verizon's EVDO is much, much better here. My major concern is that the EDGE network is going to be slow enough to make me not enjoy browsing. Have you used EDGE happily?

Yes, I have, from the Curve to the 1st gen iPhone. In fact, it didn't bother me until I got to play with UMTS 3g. I had Sprint and their EVDO 3g and it never made my EDGE feel inferior.

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
EDGE sucks compared to 3g, that's why I didn't buy a 1st gen iPhone, just knew I would be happier waiting

Dizzy is right. There is a WORLD of difference between Edge and 3G in terms of speed. So I have no clue where some are saying it's not that much different.

ROAMINGRICAN

Jul 17, 2008
Visit site
Ash it really depends where you are in terms of speed you could be on the fringe of 3g coverage and pull down 300 Kbps and have great edge with 290 Kbps

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
Ash it really depends where you are in terms of speed you could be on the fringe of 3g coverage and pull down 300 Kbps and have great edge with 290 Kbps

I thought that was very obvious. I am talking about good connections. I should have made that more clear.

JustinHorn

Aug 3, 2008
whenwillapple.com

When/if att moves to the 850 band 3g coverage should be a lot better and maybe faster...but I'm not holding my breath for 850 anytime soon.

Last edited:

Duvi

Jun 17, 2008
Visit site
When/if att moves to the 1900 band 3g coverage should be a lot better and maybe faster...but I'm not holding my breath for 1900 anytime soon.

How is 1900mhz better and maybe faster? 1900mhz does not penetrate buildings as good as 850mhz. 1900mhz has range though. So depending on your area, 1900mhz can be better or 850mhz may be. Cities like NYC, 850mhz would be better. Ohio, 1900mhz.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2