accelerometer not working when on call...

idontlikeonions

Jul 29, 2008
Visit site
proximity sensor not working when on call...

I updated to 2.2 last Friday and at first had no problems. Starting Sunday when I'm talking on the phone the screen does not turn off when I have the phone up to my ear. Mute, speaker, keypad/buttons are constantly pushed, it's really frustrating. Can this be fixed without a restore? What could be causing this? Has this happened to anyone else?

Last edited:

marcol

Aug 31, 2005
Visit site
It's not the accelerometer but the proximity sensor, which is located to the left of the speaker you hold up to your ear. As I understand it it shoots out some form of electromagnetic radiation (infra-red?) and detects its reflection. If it detects something close it turns off the screen. If the detection was prevented I guess you'd see what you're seeing. You might try without the case to see if it's that and give that area of the device a bit of a clean. If that's no good I'd at least try turning the phone off and on again before restoring. Let us know how it goes.

Last edited:

idontlikeonions

Jul 29, 2008
Visit site
i have already tried not using the case, cleaning, and turning the phone off and on several times, none of which have made a difference. i REALLY don't want to restore, i'm guessing i have no other option do i?

JustinHorn

Aug 3, 2008
whenwillapple.com
i restored my phone to no avail. i guess my only option left is to make an appointment with a genius?

Did you restore as new iphone or form a backup? I had a problem with the battery draining really fast and the phone being warm all the time after 2.2. I did a restore as new iPhone and now everything works. Yeah it kinda sucks that you have to resync all your songs and stuff again, but heh, its a computer and stuff happens

idontlikeonions

Jul 29, 2008
Visit site
took the phone to an apple store and they replaced it, thank goodness! it's REALLY annoying to talk on the phone while holding the phone an inch from your face, OR to constantly miss calls because you have to unravel/plug in the earphones before you can answer!

rock_drummer

Jul 16, 2009
Visit site
I know this thread is old but both me and my roommate BOTH are having this same problem AFTER the 3.0 upgrade. We've both restored and no luck. Nothing was changed at time of problem(cases, screen protecters) but it was definitely right after the recent upgrade.

Anyone else have this problem?

Basically when you are on a call, your screen does not automatically disable the screen to prevent you from accidentally hitting buttons on the phone like mute, ect..

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Its the only reason I joined this forum.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2