iPhone battery draining faster than normal

wabbit#IM

Oct 27, 2008
Visit site
2.2 is draining the batter worst then the 2.1 i went from 2 days to 6 hrs.... its a know issues yet apple nazi's still don't feel like addressing it.

the phone also runs hotter then under 2.1... ijunk firmware is busted.

MrP

Aug 3, 2008
Visit site
I would gladly add on some thickness to my iPhone if it meant I would get better battery life!!!!!!! Here, here!!!!!!!!!

Tunnelrunner

Jul 7, 2008
Visit site
Wabbit,

You were able to go 2 days before recharging??? I've always had to charge at least 1-2 times per day, which I think is pretty typical of all 3G phones and moderate use.

Personally, I think lasting 2 days might have been a bug in itself...;)

Tunnelrunner

Jul 7, 2008
Visit site
Mr P,

That's a tough compromise...I'd hate to see the iPhone lose it's sleek, sexy look -- OTOH, improved battery life would be pretty sweet.

I don't know a thing about science but I just don't think the technology is there yet for making a battery that's both tiny AND efficient. Just my 2 cents.

JustinHorn

Aug 3, 2008
whenwillapple.com
Mr P,

That's a tough compromise...I'd hate to see the iPhone lose it's sleek, sexy look -- OTOH, improved battery life would be pretty sweet.

I don't know a thing about science but I just don't think the technology is there yet for making a battery that's both tiny AND efficient. Just my 2 cents.

New battery technologies are right around the corner, maybe as soon as next year.

Tunnelrunner

Jul 7, 2008
Visit site
Dizzy, that's sweet news. Here's hoping for iPhone III to come loaded with new features, improved battery life AND Razr like thinness?! ;)

BTW, on the topic of batteries, how's the Mophie working for you?

MrEClass

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
@dizzy: Glad you got your phone up and working again! My pride is too big to swallow whole :rolleyes:

If you have jailbroken phone you can use AptBackup on Cydia to backup your apps.

rfg17

Aug 2, 2008
Visit site
Every time I've had this happen, it's been because Mail.app has been spinning in the background trying to update. After I kill the app (by pressing and holding the home button), the battery drain stops. This is independent of FW version (i.e., happened on both 2.1 and 2.2).

MrEClass

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
Wow I have not had that happen before. When you opened the Mail app was the update icon spinner thing at the bottom constantly rotating?

rfg17

Aug 2, 2008
Visit site
"Wow I have not had that happen before. When you opened the Mail app was the update icon spinner thing at the bottom constantly rotating?"

Yes.

KStewart

Mar 19, 2006
Visit site
I have noticed substantial battery loss, but I think it's due to the isolated issue with fetch email, correct me if I am wrong, but with 2.1 my web based mail account only fetched when the phone was active. Now with 2.2 it fetched as scheduled when the phone is in use or not like it should which is killing the battery faster.

JustinHorn

Aug 3, 2008
whenwillapple.com
I have noticed substantial battery loss, but I think it's due to the isolated issue with fetch email, correct me if I am wrong, but with 2.1 my web based mail account only fetched when the phone was active. Now with 2.2 it fetched as scheduled when the phone is in use or not like it should which is killing the battery faster.

If you didn't do fetch in 2.1 and just check webmail on safari and now on 2.2 you are using the mail app with auto fetch every 15 mins you will use the battery faster.

My issue wasn't just using more battery than normal, but just absurd like 2 hours of standby bringing the battery to 70%. Plus my phone showed more usage than it should have instead of standby.

KStewart

Mar 19, 2006
Visit site
If you didn't do fetch in 2.1 and just check webmail on safari and now on 2.2 you are using the mail app with auto fetch every 15 mins you will use the battery faster.

My issue wasn't just using more battery than normal, but just absurd like 2 hours of standby bringing the battery to 70%. Plus my phone showed more usage than it should have instead of standby.

15 min fetch has been the same 2.1 and 2.2. The only inconsistant thing has been battery life. Your battery problem seems both different and worse and like I said, it fetches consistantly now with the same 15 minute setting, where as before with 2.1 it wouldn't connect until I woke the phone and if I stayed on the phone for more than 15 minutes then it would sync, but when the phone wasn't active I would intermitantly get 15 min fetches, mostly edging towards not, now with 2.2 it fetched consistantly hence the battery drain.

JustinHorn

Aug 3, 2008
whenwillapple.com
15 min fetch has been the same 2.1 and 2.2. The only inconsistant thing has been battery life. Your battery problem seems both different and worse and like I said, it fetches consistantly now with the same 15 minute setting, where as before with 2.1 it wouldn't connect until I woke the phone and if I stayed on the phone for more than 15 minutes then it would sync, but when the phone wasn't active I would intermitantly get 15 min fetches, mostly edging towards not, now with 2.2 it fetched consistantly hence the battery drain.

I would delete add the mail account back. This may have been the source of my problem, I'm not sure. If the mail account delete / add doesn't work you might need to do a restore.

KStewart

Mar 19, 2006
Visit site
:confused:
I would delete add the mail account back. This may have been the source of my problem, I'm not sure. If the mail account delete / add doesn't work you might need to do a restore.

I posted in reference to a trend with this thread. My noticable battery loss isn't significant enought to merit a problem. I am actually fine with battery performance...no need to reset my account, no need for hard resets or restores.

JustinHorn

Aug 3, 2008
whenwillapple.com
Ok, well I started this thread about a significant battery problem so I guess that is where the confusion was. Glad to hear your phone is working normal.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods