Steve Explains Why No Cut and Paste: Caption Contest!

sethclifford

Sep 25, 2006
about.me
"Because I said so, ok? Remember when I took out the floppy drive? Nobody's crying about that now, are they? I didn't think so. The next person to bother me about this copy and paste thing is getting this remote shoved right in his iHole".

Stevie No-Wonder

Nov 17, 2008
Visit site
Well, first of all... he'd never bring up the subject. But if he did...

"... so other than no cut/copy/paste, we think this is the best iPhone update yet! Isn't it great?" (receives usual applause)

Last edited:

reyza

Nov 19, 2008
Visit site
"Cut and paste is a thing of the past. Now, instead let me introduce to you to its replacement... <insert incredibly amazing, revolutionary invention here>" /end keynote.

Dalekkiller

Sep 9, 2008
Visit site
"What's so great about the latest update for the iPhone?
We've done away with the traditional cut/copy/paste and many other features that Apple considers to be outdated. With the next update we will be bringing out a new, psychic firmware that will intuitively know what you want to do with everything and words will fly around your iPhone into exactly the right place at the right time.
We will, in fact, be doing away with the need to ever touch your phone except to charge it up. This update will be rolling out very soon along with our new line of flying pigs".

BB-fan

Jun 30, 2008
Visit site
"We don't need no cut/copy/paste...we are introducing a revolutionary alternative. With each iphone purchase you get an ipen! Paper is not provided."

MrP

Aug 3, 2008
Visit site
"hear the one about a certain Berry picker making a touch-screen "iPhone Killer"! (sarcastic suprise) What's that? It sucks?!
I know now shut up about copy and paste I'll throw it at ya when I'm good and ready!"

MrP

Aug 3, 2008
Visit site
"now with the latest update your iPhone can cook, clean and drive your car...cut and paste to follow in a future software update..."

CubanCorona

Nov 26, 2008
Visit site
Steve says:

"Copy and paste functionality might compromise our ability to protect you by monitoring all text moving between iPhone applications. It's all in the SDK license agreement. I like reading your personal emails."

Mav#IM

Nov 26, 2008
Visit site
It's all about the "finger"

One more thing: it was brought to my attention that some of you wonder?ahem...after all these years...why iPhone does NOT have copy-paste functionality. For those of you who are familiar with the iPhone gestures paradigm I have a simple answer. (Steve shows everybody a finger causing commotion in the crowd. Rene leaves, offended ;)).

Steve continues: and for the rest of smartasses out here, you will have a 2-hour discussion with our experts on the topic. (Steve calls on the podium Apple senior VP brass and leaves humming "cut and paste, what a waste?la-la-la-la-la...").

P.S.
On a more serious note, the above "finger gesture" should start making more sense if you read iPhone Human Interface Guidelines :)

In the part named Support Gestures Appropriately, there is a following text:

"However, fingers have one major disadvantage: They are much bigger than a mouse pointer, regardless of their size, their shape, or the dexterity of their owner. In the context of a display screen, fingers can never be as precise as a mouse pointer. Additionally, there are some actions users can take with the combination of a mouse and keyboard that are difficult to replicate using fingers alone. These actions include text selection, drag-and-drop operations, and cut, copy, and paste actions.

Fortunately, you can meet the challenges of a finger-based input system by having a good user interface design. For the most part, this means making sure your layout accommodates the average size of a fingertip and by finding alternatives to drag-and-drop and cut, copy, and paste. It also means responding to finger movements with the actions users expect."