Okay, I am probably the only dork who was looking forward to the possibility of using these cool pictograms in my email, but it looks as though Apple is supporting Japan-only users in the latest update. This was all I could find:

URL truncated -- see support.apple.com/kb/TS2404

Toward the bottom:

Not all customers can create and view Emoji. Emoji can only be sent from an iPhone running OS 2.2 with a SoftBank email account and a SoftBank SIM. Viewing Emoji on an iPhone requires iPhone OS 2.2 or later and a SoftBank SIM. Emoji cannot be sent from an iPhone running OS 2.1 or earlier.
    Aarrgh!!! Does anyone know a workaround for this? Am I the only one disappointed that Apple isn't supporting this outside Japan?
    11-21-2008 04:03 AM
    Too bad!
    11-21-2008 05:59 AM
    If only there was cut & paste, then I could send you all the emoji and you could save it!

Seriously though, emoji only works on my Softbank email account, not my Gmail. Also, if I send an emoji to a webmail account such as Gmail, the emoji only appears as the Softbank logo, a giant equals sign. Actually, I just sent one to my AU/KDDI cellphone and got the equals sign too

Maybe emoji is only Softbank to Softbank?
    11-21-2008 08:28 AM
    Can't believe they advertise this as a new feature when it is only available in one country.

I love my iPhone but I'm starting to get more annoyed by lack of basic functions, why can't i rotate my screen to type emails and text.....
    11-21-2008 10:38 AM
    Is there any way to obtain a softbank email address from the States? Apple could totally revolutionize emoji's acceptance outside Japan! I want emoji more than MMS!
    11-21-2008 02:04 PM
    yep that's right...
    11-21-2008 11:54 PM
    Is there any way to obtain a softbank email address from the States? Apple could totally revolutionize emoji's acceptance outside Japan! I want emoji more than MMS!
    I'm hoping emoji never catches on outside of Japan, emoticons are bad enough. I guess I'm old and stuck in my ways, but words have always worked just fine for me.
    11-29-2008 01:59 PM
    Wow... 12x12 monochrome icons... that is so 1980's. Does the iPhone really have enough CPU power to handle the graphics load?
    11-29-2008 02:19 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD