Folks has anyone experienced the following. While using a streaming app like Pandora or Simplify and having the iPhone 3G connected via USB to a PC eventually the phones battery will be completely drained over a 5 to 6 hour period. I tried this twice thinking that the first time my USB port went bad, but the battery was drained just the same on a different USB port. Both ports charge the phone with no issues while not streaming. Has anyone else experienced this? Is this a bug or is this the way iPhone works? I would think that while the iPhone is connected to power it should not drain the battery.

P.S. Streaming was over Edge.
    11-03-2008 07:29 AM
    I have no issues while connected to my Macbook. Even if it is in sleep mode it still gets a good charge. I know PC's don't charge the iPhone when they are in sleep mode. Possible your PC is slipping into sleep?
    11-03-2008 08:49 AM
    No PC is wide awake. My sleep mode only kicks in if it's running on battery and it wasn't it was connected to AC.
    11-03-2008 10:34 AM
    No PC is wide awake. My sleep mode only kicks in if it's running on battery and it wasn't it was connected to AC.
    Have you tried this while plugged into the wall outlet?
    11-03-2008 12:02 PM
    It's not a bug, it's just that the USB cannot pump enough power into the phone as fast as the iPhone is using it. So the consumption>USB supply.

This happens if the iPhone is plugged into a computer or outlet.
    11-03-2008 10:08 PM
    It's not a bug, it's just that the USB cannot pump enough power into the phone as fast as the iPhone is using it. So the consumption>USB supply.

From what I have experienced I think you are right. I'm wondering if streaming through wireless (802.11) would draw less power. I will try and report back.
    11-04-2008 07:27 AM

I don't have that issue whether I'm plugged into my Mac or outlet... tested it last night when I went to be sleep. Ok this morning.
    11-04-2008 08:18 AM
    Yeah, USB can't keep up with outlet, especially as it gets more charged and you need more of a voltage difference to push in juice.

In my test I did for my blog they both got to about 80% charge in 60 mins, but after that the USB took another 80 mins to finish compared to 30 mins for the wall.
    iPhone 3g USB vs outlet charging…take two | When Will Apple?
    11-04-2008 04:10 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD