Streaming drains battery even with USB power.

hermdog

Jun 6, 2008
Visit site
Folks has anyone experienced the following. While using a streaming app like Pandora or Simplify and having the iPhone 3G connected via USB to a PC eventually the phones battery will be completely drained over a 5 to 6 hour period. I tried this twice thinking that the first time my USB port went bad, but the battery was drained just the same on a different USB port. Both ports charge the phone with no issues while not streaming. Has anyone else experienced this? Is this a bug or is this the way iPhone works? I would think that while the iPhone is connected to power it should not drain the battery. :(

P.S. Streaming was over Edge.

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
I have no issues while connected to my Macbook. Even if it is in sleep mode it still gets a good charge. I know PC's don't charge the iPhone when they are in sleep mode. Possible your PC is slipping into sleep?

hermdog

Jun 6, 2008
Visit site
No PC is wide awake. My sleep mode only kicks in if it's running on battery and it wasn't it was connected to AC.

Alienware_51#IM

Aug 11, 2008
Visit site
It's not a bug, it's just that the USB cannot pump enough power into the phone as fast as the iPhone is using it. So the consumption>USB supply.

This happens if the iPhone is plugged into a computer or outlet.

hermdog

Jun 6, 2008
Visit site
It's not a bug, it's just that the USB cannot pump enough power into the phone as fast as the iPhone is using it. So the consumption>USB supply.

From what I have experienced I think you are right. I'm wondering if streaming through wireless (802.11) would draw less power. I will try and report back.

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com

I don't have that issue whether I'm plugged into my Mac or outlet... tested it last night when I went to be sleep. Ok this morning.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2