Advice - 8GB or 16GB

bergman

Jun 10, 2008
Visit site
I'm going to make the big move and buy an iPhone to replace my Centro this week. Having been a Palm user since the first Plam Pilot this is a big move. My use of the iPhone will be primarily business as opposed to music. I will load a fair number of apps, but I have no idea how large the typical iPhone apps are. So...do I buy the 8GB or the 16 GB? Opinions and advice please.

JustinHorn

Aug 3, 2008
whenwillapple.com
If you don't plan on using the iPod or having a lot of photos / videos just go with 8, but for $100 more make sure you are sure you won't change your mind a month after buying it

mozilla

Nov 2, 2008
Visit site
I also migrated from a Treo. Most iPhone apps are small, typically around 1 MB or so. For example, SplashID is 700KB. (SplashID was also a favorite on my Treo, and I was able to migrate the data to the iPhone version.)

To give you an idea, I have an iPhone 8GB with about 500 songs, 10 apps, and 76 ebooks. I don't have anything else loaded. Right now, I have 4.8GB free. I'm hoping for a turn-by-turn GPS app in the future. I figure if I load the entire U.S. map, I'll give up another GB (assuming it's similar to TomTom for Palm). That still leaves 3.8GB for more songs, videos, and anything else.

So... I think 8GB is plenty of space, unless you load up tons of videos.

Squampton

Oct 27, 2008
Visit site
Currently I have 57 apps installed, including a couple dictionaries and games which are 50+ MB each (Texas HoldEm is 129MB!). All the apps are about 600MB in total. Add to that a couple movies, my music, podcasts, and photos, and I still have over 4GB free space on my 8GB iPhone.

cjvitek

Jul 5, 2008
Visit site
I have about 6 gigs of music, and I occasionally have a video or two. I have the 16GB version. My wife, much less tech oriented than I am, has the 8GB, and I doubt she will need more.

Chris

JustinHorn

Aug 3, 2008
whenwillapple.com
I'm hoping for a turn-by-turn GPS app in the future. I figure if I load the entire U.S. map, I'll give up another GB (assuming it's similar to TomTom for Palm). That still leaves 3.8GB for more songs, videos, and anything else

I would hope that they could offer a small unit to clip onto the bottom of the phone instead of using the internal memory to store the map data which could be like what 4-8GB?

mozilla

Nov 2, 2008
Visit site
I would hope that they could offer a small unit to clip onto the bottom of the phone instead of using the internal memory to store the map data which could be like what 4-8GB?
I don't think it'll be anywhere near 4GB. TomTom managed to fit maps of the entire U.S. into a single 1GB SD card.

jamesus

TiPb Forum Staff
Jul 10, 2008
Visit site
I like the 16 option I have, as I am able to load as much music/podcasts/photos etc and not really worry about space.

hotrod#AC

Jan 31, 2006
Visit site
I have 11gb (from my 30 gb) music collection; 4gb of movies and tv shows, 1 gb of apps,...so my 16 is full.

If I could have a 32gb iPhone I would in a heart beat.

Dalekkiller

Sep 9, 2008
Visit site
My 1st gen was 8Gb but I opted for the 16Gb 3G so that I'd have plenty of room. The apps themselves don't take up much room but I often need lots of space for video and photos. The extra memory also allows me to record long sessions without worrying about running out of space. It's always better to have too much space than not enough!

impaler

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
I'd rather purchase more storage than I think I'll need and have flexibility later, than spend serious money on something that I'll outgrow. My history proves as time goes on I use more and more data space, not less. That'll only increase.

CHiRS

Sep 24, 2008
chrislae.posterous.com
I personally went with a 16GB iPhone purely to get it in white. But if yours will primarily be used for business, the I think an 8GB would suit you just fine.

usman

Nov 10, 2008
Visit site
id go with the 8gb, its got plenty of space. I bought mine as my regular 40gb ipod was stolen. I havnt had a problem with space, have lots of music that I actually listen to along with 2 movies and 6pgs worth of apps and I still have plenty of space to spare.

just my .02 cents

Dalekkiller

Sep 9, 2008
Visit site
I guess it really depends on which apps you're going to use. For example, I use iTalk as a recorder and the length of the recording is only limited by how much free space I've got. I also use several different productivity/utility apps so I like to know that there's plenty of storage space on my phone for all the data.

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
If not planning on lots of songs then the 8gb is really what u need. I have about 30 apps and 700 songs and I have a ton of space available.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods