Well way back on August 13th I noticed that google maps added a new walking and public transit directions (google maps puts on its walking shoes! | When Will Apple?). I was speculating at the time that we might see this in the 2.1 firmware which we didn't, but it now looks like my dreams have come true! Streetview is also confirmed, but I find the walking / public trans more useful than the streetview.

Was just over on AI and saw this AppleInsider | iPhone Software 2.2 to add public transit & walking directions

Also, iPhoneYap.com has posted serveral pictures of the new google maps!
    iPhoneYap.com Forums - Gordon's Album: iPhone 2.2 Beta 2 Maps New Features Screenshots

Here are a few I grabbed (all pictures via iphoneyap.com):
    10-25-2008 06:02 PM
    Great another app the average ordinary person wouldnt use. Copy paste anyone? How bout forward feature? Landscape keyboard? PUSH NOTIFICATION!!!!!!
    10-27-2008 05:06 PM
    Great another app the average ordinary person wouldnt use. Copy paste anyone? How bout forward feature? Landscape keyboard? PUSH NOTIFICATION!!!!!!
    Well it's not another app, it's just an updated version of the standard iPhone map app.

Also, I'm pretty ordinary and I would take and updated map app over text forwarding and copy past in a heartbeat. I would actually take it over push, but that's a harder decision b/c push will open up a whole new set of tools for developers.
    10-27-2008 05:39 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD