View Poll Results: Cracked or not cracked...

Voters
55. You may not vote on this poll
  • Not cracked...

50 90.91%
  • Cracked...

5 9.09%
    Poll is open again.
    12-07-2008 10:19 AM
    Sorry, I didn't check to see if there was already a poll =/
    12-07-2008 10:26 AM
    Sorry, I didn't check to see if there was already a poll =/
    No worries what so ever. It was in the iPhone Help forum for some reason so I just moved it back here and reopened the poll.
    12-07-2008 10:27 AM
    12-07-2008 10:28 AM
    No worries what so ever. It was in the iPhone Help forum for some reason so I just moved it back here and reopened the poll.
    Ok.

Btw, I loved Army of Darkness, one of my all time favorites! Haha.
    12-07-2008 10:29 AM
    12-07-2008 10:48 AM
    cracks! yep. I see several of them.
    12-07-2008 12:36 PM
    Is this poll open for multiple votes so that if you have develped cracks in a short time after the poll had opened you can go back and re-vote that you have "cracks"?

Ya know?
    12-07-2008 12:45 PM
    Just got the white one a couple hours ago. Hope I don't get cracks
    12-11-2008 10:32 PM
    Just got the white one a couple hours ago. Hope I don't get cracks
    You should be fine. I have not heard of any new phone cracking, recently...
    12-16-2008 07:12 PM
    So my birthday is soon, and I was planning on replacing my old iPhone 2G 8GB with a new iPhone 3G 16GB...

I really wanted to get a White 3G, but I've heard the rumors that they crack after an extended period of time...

I like my devices always looking cosmetically sound, so should I get a black or white one?
    12-20-2008 09:14 PM
    There is zero proof that the white ones are the only ones with cracks. Both have cracked but honestly I think you won't have a issue. It's been a while since I have heard of them cracking. My white iPhone is perfect since July 11th.
    12-21-2008 12:00 AM
    I now am a firm believer that this is true as mine has a couple.

I believe the black hard is harder to see though.
    12-21-2008 01:32 AM
    White, black - I'm positive it does not matter. Maybe this thread can help you out.

http://forum.theiphoneblog.com/iphon...my-iphone.html
    12-21-2008 11:36 AM
    The only difference is the paint color and I doubt they use a different type of paint. I agree more with the "it's harder to see on the black" assessment. I've yet to see anyone complain about a crack and be able to honestly say they haven't dropped or mistreated it. Just beware, the plastic back isn't as strong as the metal of the 2g.
    12-24-2008 01:41 PM
    My white 3g has a crack by the silence switch. I haven't dropped or abused it, and it has been encased in silicone since the minute I got it. That said, it doesn't bother me at all.
    12-24-2008 02:34 PM
    What about changes in temp? Could the expanding and shrinking possibly be causing the cracks? Being encased could cause abnormal heat buildup right? Yes, I confess, I'm bored and waiting to open presents.
    12-25-2008 10:40 AM
    I have a white iphone 3g and it has no cracks on it. I dont have a case on it either. All I use is the side hip pouch to carry my phone in.
    12-27-2008 03:40 PM
    Hey guys, back for an update.

I started to notice more cracking yesterday. It's all around the headphone jack, volume and ringer switch, and sleep/wake button. There's a few scattered ones on the sides and back too, away from any edges. I think 'crack' is a bad word to describe it since there is no real break in the case. It looks like more of a stress thing.

I've been using a case so it's nothing caused by normal wear and tear. I'm going to my Apple Store tomorrow, apparently it was an 'emerging issue' awhile ago when people were calling into Apple Support. I'll post tomorrow after my visit for anyone wondering how things went.
    Last edited by Reaktor5; 01-02-2009 at 03:23 AM.
    01-02-2009 03:17 AM
    Back from the Apple Store.
    The Genius told me it was a known issue with the white iPhones and replaced it no questions asked. I couldn't be more happy!
    01-02-2009 06:31 PM
    Back from the Apple Store.
    The Genius told me it was a known issue with the white iPhones and replaced it no questions asked. I couldn't be more happy!
    I have yet to see one of these in person... more than likely it was a bad batch somewhere along the line.
    01-03-2009 11:05 AM
    I have yet to see one of these in person... more than likely it was a bad batch somewhere along the line.
    I should have asked if he knew what was causing the issue.
    It could be any number of things with the first batch. Maybe a crate was left in certain conditions that made the plastic vulnerable to the stress cracks.

Poor woman next to me drove an hour, took half the day off work, and put her kids in daycare because her battery was dying too rapidly. He told her to restore when she got home to see if that resolved the issue. The two different people she talked before coming couldn't have suggested that?!
    01-03-2009 03:29 PM
    I should have asked if he knew what was causing the issue.
    It could be any number of things with the first batch. Maybe a crate was left in certain conditions that made the plastic vulnerable to the stress cracks.

Poor woman next to me drove an hour, took half the day off work, and put her kids in daycare because her battery was dying too rapidly. He told her to restore when she got home to see if that resolved the issue. The two different people she talked before coming couldn't have suggested that?!
    I would have just given the poor lady a new phone...
    01-03-2009 03:45 PM
    I would have just given the poor lady a new phone...
    He offered but she didn't have her contacts, calendars, and other things backed up.
    01-03-2009 06:43 PM
    He offered but she didn't have her contacts, calendars, and other things backed up.
    Ok, well that's just dumb.
    01-04-2009 10:53 AM
80 1234
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD