View Poll Results: Cracked or not cracked...

Voters
55. You may not vote on this poll
  • Not cracked...

50 90.91%
  • Cracked...

5 9.09%
    Well, I already voted no cracking, but I developed a crack on the small piece of plastic by the sound on/off switch. They replaced the phone - I was told by Applecare that they want you to make the appointment at the Genius Bar through them - they quizzed me on whether I had dropped it (no) and whether I used a case (yes). No abuse involved, but my switch was always extra tight until it cracked. Now I wonder if I should have replaced it with a black one. Any reports of the black plastic cracking?
    08-21-2008 07:29 PM
    Well, I already voted no cracking, but I developed a crack on the small piece of plastic by the sound on/off switch. They replaced the phone - I was told by Applecare that they want you to make the appointment at the Genius Bar through them - they quizzed me on whether I had dropped it (no) and whether I used a case (yes). No abuse involved, but my switch was always extra tight until it cracked. Now I wonder if I should have replaced it with a black one. Any reports of the black plastic cracking?
    Yes, reports of both cracking. Glad my on/off button is not tight...
    08-21-2008 07:36 PM
    No cracks on mine. I have a black one. I use my earbuds everyday. I have worked very hard to be very careful with mine. It is kinda a tight fit when pulling the headphones out but I guess that's good, it could be the other way around and the headphone jack could keep falling out or is loose.
    08-21-2008 09:42 PM
    No cracks, I've had mine for one month today.
    08-23-2008 03:55 PM
    i actually have funny little markings right inside of the chrome detail around the screen near the very top of the screen. going to take it back to them, tomorrow.
    08-30-2008 08:26 PM
    I just noticed some cracks on the iPhone case at the bottom of the phone (where I plug is the charger/sync cable). Actually, just one crack that is about 2mm long (give or take).

What is the Apple/Att policy for these cracks? I bought my phone at an ATT store, and haven't dropped it or anything - just normal wear and tear. Will they replace it? Should I bring it to AT&T, or call Apple directly? (There is no Apple store near me).

Chris
    10-25-2008 05:01 PM
    I just noticed some cracks on the iPhone case at the bottom of the phone (where I plug is the charger/sync cable). Actually, just one crack that is about 2mm long (give or take).

What is the Apple/Att policy for these cracks? I bought my phone at an ATT store, and haven't dropped it or anything - just normal wear and tear. Will they replace it? Should I bring it to AT&T, or call Apple directly? (There is no Apple store near me).

Chris
    I want to say you will have to bring it in to a Apple Store or send it in to Apple. I don't think AT&T will be able to help you out. Call Apple ASAP.
    10-25-2008 05:51 PM
    Well, I called to send it in. The guy said he didn't know if it would be considered "warrantee eligable" - ie, normal wear and tear, or if it was user damage.

I am hoping it will get repaired/replaced. If not, I guess I will have to break out the super glue.
    10-26-2008 08:45 PM
    Well, I called to send it in. The guy said he didn't know if it would be considered "warrantee eligable" - ie, normal wear and tear, or if it was user damage.

I am hoping it will get repaired/replaced. If not, I guess I will have to break out the super glue.
    That does not sound too promising... good luck man...
    10-26-2008 11:51 PM
    Yeah, it doesn't sound good. I get the feeling if I could go to an Apple Store, I might have better success, but the closest Apple store is about 4 or 5 hours away.

Well, I will keep my fingers crossed about the famous Apple customer service.

Chris
    10-27-2008 09:16 AM
    Yeah, it doesn't sound good. I get the feeling if I could go to an Apple Store, I might have better success, but the closest Apple store is about 4 or 5 hours away.

Well, I will keep my fingers crossed about the famous Apple customer service.

Chris
    Keep us posted.
    10-27-2008 10:29 AM
    I just sent my iPhone in via fedex today - cross your fingers.
    10-29-2008 10:58 AM
    Good luck!
    10-29-2008 02:53 PM
    Yay, they gave me a new phone!

I am setting it up from my backup now. Now I just have to decide if I want to jailbreak again.

I am curious - is this a refurbished phone, or a new one? Anyway to tell?
    10-31-2008 06:40 PM
    I don't think you can tell but I'm a dummy when it comes to that.
    11-09-2008 01:30 PM
    Well I am glad that they replaced your phone. I just noticed on Friday that mine had a crack developing by the silence switch. I call in (as the closest apple store is 3 hours away for me) and they said that they didn't think it would be covered. But I told the guy on the phone that there are posts everywhere (not only on their forum but others as well) and he said he would check came back and said that it would be covered. So I am hoping that they will replace it. Now I just have to take of my invisible shield.
    11-10-2008 09:19 AM
    Well I sent my cracked phone in on Tuesday Got there Wednesday and not I have a NEW iPhone in my hands. I am so glad that they replaced it. Why to go Apple with that quick service. You get an A+ from me.
    11-13-2008 02:13 PM
    Well I sent my cracked phone in on Tuesday Got there Wednesday and not I have a NEW iPhone in my hands. I am so glad that they replaced it. Why to go Apple with that quick service. You get an A+ from me.
    Good to hear! Apple really does have great customer service. At least in my experiences. Hopefully this one works out better for you!
    11-13-2008 03:03 PM
    11-14-2008 01:20 PM
    I just blogged about that as well. That is just crazy. People need lives! I have yet to hear of a case where Apple told people tough luck if they had some sort of crack. And more than likely abuse was the cause!
    11-15-2008 01:17 AM
    cracks are probably ATT's fault.
    11-15-2008 12:38 PM
    I have a crack or two. It was certainly *not* abuse. However, I have not heard of anyone's iPhone actually falling apart from cracks, or even having anything more than tiny hairlines that are barely noticeable. If it gets worse I will replace it. If not, it's nothing I can't live with.
    11-15-2008 01:00 PM
    I just blogged about that as well. That is just crazy. People need lives! I have yet to hear of a case where Apple told people tough luck if they had some sort of crack. And more than likely abuse was the cause!
    Mine is cracked near the headphone jack and the less noticeable "spider cracks" near the ringer switch which are not my fault, but the hassle of replacing it and syncing all my music over isn't worth it. And with my Slider Case it's really that noticeable. There definitely is some issue with cracking due to material, stress, something, and I'm sure Apple has recognized it and will replace it.
    11-15-2008 01:55 PM
    I have yet to know anyone - myself included - that has this crack issue. I still feel that *most of the cases are from abuse. Not all but most. And yes, Apple will replace it with no issues from what I understand. Unless it's obvious you did the damage.
    11-15-2008 03:04 PM
    Well I can tell you my crack was not my Doing. I BABY my iPhone and i sware it seemed like one day wham there it was. It has gotten much colder here lately not sure if that played a part with it. Maybe the housing shrinking a little? Not sure.
    11-15-2008 06:35 PM
80 1234
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD