I received one of the first 3G iPhones from ATT in Detroit. It had crystal clear display resolution, and YouTube videos came in on WiFi like HD. The swap-out had 25% degredation in resolution.

For the record, I downloaded the latest patch on first. However, turns out I had a small software glitch, so I swapped out the phone in Atlanta. The replacement home icons are washed out and not as crisp; YouTube videos are pixelated, camera shots are less clear... so what's up??

I took it back to the iStore, and come to find out all the iPhones in the store had the same resolution. I felt like I was in a bad episode of the Twilight Zone, and immediately tried to retreive my first phone...too late.

The rep let something slip that was very interesting, "sometimes when there is a software upgrade the resolution degrades"...WHAT!!!

So I took a closer look.

The Home icons have a white outline around them and they are faded because they are trying to make them look 3D - first were one dimensional and had richer hue, clock numbers were crystal clear, you could read the Aug month in Stock icon crystal clear, Calendar icon day was crystal clear...

There is a ringer icon after switching on/off - first had none.

There are delete buttons on emails. - first had none, you had to reverse swipe and then the delete button would appear.

There are varying borders of hue around the displays - first were more solid

Etc... can anyone shed any light on this???? I feel completely frustrated. I can't look at Home without getting pissed. I loved watching YouTube videos, and now my blood boils when I watch. It is like being teased with HD TV, and then going back to regular TV.

I CANNOT BELIEVE NO ONE ELSE HAS EXPERIENCED THIS...On apple.com, no one answered - so I am trying here
    10-10-2008 01:56 AM
    I've never heard of a problem like this. I'd bring it in to the Apple store and ask to swap it out. Just in case...
    10-10-2008 11:05 AM
    Well I actually did, this is my third iPhone, but none as good as the first. I am submitting a litany of posts to apple.com to try to get to the bottom of this, but based on what I saw in display clarity and functionality, it looks like the first versions with less display functionality and less 3D looking, had better display resolution, and softward upgrades to provide additional display functionality and 3D look caused display degredation - information that Apple is not going to volunteer because it can be very damaging. I am probably one of the very few (if only so far that is trying to understand this) that received the earlier version and noticed the delta, given my prior quality experience in product color and clarity characteristics.

Very frustrating...looks like no one on this site can validate either. But thanks for responding.

If you guys could only have seen the delta, you would be livid as well.
    10-11-2008 11:33 PM
    Could you take and post a photo?
    10-12-2008 02:19 AM
    I have that ringer thing... Thought they all had that. My screen is crystal clear.
    10-12-2008 02:25 PM
    Screen is clear as well.
    10-12-2008 03:38 PM
    Mine also appears to be ok, though Im not exactly sure what Im looking for...
    10-12-2008 04:27 PM
    A comparisson photo (which I realize would be difficult) would really help.

Do you know anyone else with an iPhone 3G that can help out?

You know, ever posting some photoes highlighting what you are talking about (and others can post similar photos from their phone) would help out.

Chris
    10-12-2008 04:58 PM
    I have two and both are fine.
    10-13-2008 12:06 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD