New Computer. ?Move apps and tunes?

hotrod#AC

Jan 31, 2006
Visit site
I'm getting a new HD for my computer and I want to start with a fresh install of everything. I feel very comfortable knowing how to move my pictures, files, and music.

But I don't know how to move my itunes library and my iphone apps.

I've found that I will want to de-authorize this computer before I install the new HD and then authorize the new computer/HD. But,

What files do I need to backup to preserve the play counts, favorites, ratings, etc.?

How do I preserve all my applications and paid for movies?

Thanks for your help.

hotrod#AC

Jan 31, 2006
Visit site
I guess I could use google...there is a lot of info about moving itunes libraries, but I guess what I'm seeking is re-assurement, and any new tricks for iPhones and iPhone applications. Cuz I don't want to have to buy all my apps and movies again, nor listen to all my old podcasts again.

Oh, and one more thing. I have music in My iTunes folder and music outside of my folder. Apparently there can be problems when you music is outside the iTunes Music folder??

Last edited:

Rapshire

Aug 13, 2009
Visit site
Try this

I was having a lot of trouble getting my iPhone applications to sync with iTunes. I tried doing backups and full syncs to no avail. Finally, in a moment of desperation, I righted clicked on my iPhone and chose the option ?Transfer Purchases? and to my suprise and glee I successfully moved my applications onto to my computer.

To transfer applictions to iTunes from your iPhone:

1.Right click on your iPhone in the left hand explorer bar

2.Select ?Transfer Purchases?

3.You should see a progress bar in iTunes and your phone should read ?Sync in Progress?

4.If everything went as planned, all of your applications that were purchased on your iPhone should now appear in iTunes

GMJeff

May 3, 2009
Visit site
I usually use the backup option in iTunes to save the data (playlists, library file, etc.) from the program.

As for the music files, I will usually transfer them to a external hard drive, or a flash memory card, if the music folders are small. SD cards are readily available in 32GB sizes, for a price.

I manually move the files to the external drive, then when iTunes is installed on the new drive or computer, just manually copy them into the iTunes folder.

As for music not in the iTunes folder, consolidate all of the folders into the iTunes folder if you wish, but you don't have to. Just remember that if you copy some of the music outside of the iTunes folder, you will have to use the add folder to library command so the library will see and play the music.

You may also have to do some cleanup of dead song links in iTunes after you do a possible restore of the library, as there may be numerous folder locations from the old drive, that aren't on the new drive. You will get a message telling you that iTunes can't find the song, and asks you if you want to locate the song.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods