differentiate INcoming and OUTgoing calls ???

joephoto5

Sep 21, 2008
Visit site
On the "recent" call list on my previous BlackJack and BlackBerry, OUTgoing calls were immediately indicated by an "up" arrow, and INcoming with a "down" arrow, (Missed calls had a "box"). It was extremely convenient to have the calls so easily identified.

I have firmware 2.0.2 on my new iPhone.

Both the INcoming & OUTgoing calls are in black. It is impossible to immediately differentiate between them. (missed calls are red)

Am I missing something ???

I suggest that either BLUE or GREEN be used for either IN or OUT !!!

I did notice that that there is 2 selection boxes on top, for "ALL" and "MISSED" ... I suggest there be 3 boxes for INcoming / OUTgoing / MISSED.

What do you all think ??? Or has this possibly been addressed in 2.1 (or upcoming 2.2) ???

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
Not missing anything my friend. Just the way things are for us iPhone users. Wish there was better news to give you. :)

mikecc

Aug 21, 2007
www.icellphonedeals.com
At least they show the missed calls in red :). Almost all other phones have incoming/outgoing indications, how can Apple not include this feature? There is enough room on the screen to fit 2 more tabs.

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
Stop and think about it... missed calls are all you really need to separate... what is the purpose of seeing the difference between a outgoing call or incoming... All I really care about is my missed calls. Which Mike pointed out ever so kindly, are in red. Nough said.

;)

iGrrrl

Oct 1, 2008
Visit site
Stop and think about it... missed calls are all you really need to separate...

That may be true for you, but it isn't for everyone. Incoming/outgoing is very useful for me. The other thing I need to track is the duration of calls for billing purposes, and I no longer have that easily with the iPhone. (Yes, it's right at the end of a call, but not in the call history list.)

So, missed calls may be all you really need, but my needs are different.

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
Stop and think about it... missed calls are all you really need to separate...

That may be true for you, but it isn't for everyone. Incoming/outgoing is very useful for me. The other thing I need to track is the duration of calls for billing purposes, and I no longer have that easily with the iPhone. (Yes, it's right at the end of a call, but not in the call history list.)

So, missed calls may be all you really need, but my needs are different.

I'm sorry to hear that. Duration of calls is completely different. You could check your bill online. Everything is listed there. Incoming, outgoing, duration, etc... I know it's not the best way but it's the only way.

avt123

Aug 8, 2008
Visit site
You can check incomming and outgoing calls on the phone. Press the arrow to the right of the name under recent calls. When the screen changes look at the top of the screen it tells you.

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
You can check incomming and outgoing calls on the phone. Press the arrow to the right of the name under recent calls. When the screen changes look at the top of the screen it tells you.

That just lists how many calls were from that person and the times the calls were placed or received. Says nothing about incoming or outgoing.

avt123

Aug 8, 2008
Visit site
Yes it does on the top of the screen. After you press the arrow look at the top where you can press back to recent calls, it says it right next to it.

mikecc

Aug 21, 2007
www.icellphonedeals.com
I see it. Below the words you will be able to see the date and exact time he calls were called or received. I don't know how iPhone groups these info. I made 9 calls today to the same person and 1 call yesterday. They are all shown on the same page. What the calls 2 days ago to the same number? One interesting question I want to bring up is that the person I called has 2 number. They are in the same color. How can I tell which number I called/received?

ExBBUser

Oct 2, 2008
Visit site
i have found this feature on the iphone to be pretty weak. like ash, i couldn't find it at first. too much work just to get that info.

iGrrrl

Oct 1, 2008
Visit site
Yes it does on the top of the screen. After you press the arrow look at the top where you can press back to recent calls, it says it right next to it.

Right. Duh. Thanks. Still have to go to ATT to find the duration, though.

I'm sure this isn't the place to say it, but I still miss my Kyocera smartphone. Incoming/outgoing were indicated by arrows next to the number (or contact name). The iPhone does better with web and email, but oh, copy and paste was kind of handy.

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com

I'm sure this isn't the place to say it, but I still miss my Kyocera smartphone. Incoming/outgoing were indicated by arrows next to the number (or contact name). The iPhone does better with web and email, but oh, copy and paste was kind of handy.

Copy and paste is a whole other thread... ;) It's coming... I think. :)

avt123

Aug 8, 2008
Visit site

Sorry for such a horrible inconvenience, especially on a phone that has Internet access to aquire that information. People claimed the option to see incoming and outgoing calls wasn't there and all I did was say it was.

joephoto5

Sep 21, 2008
Visit site
How to communicate to Apple ???

Is there a specific site or address that we can possibly post requests or complaints to Apple ???

I do agree that missed calls are most important, and thus red is appropriate.

But "immediate" distinction between INcoming and OUTgoing calls are very important to me.

I would suggest leaving OUTgoing as black (as it is now) ....

And BLUE for INcoming ....

I could also suggest a further feature .....

When a "missed" call is returned, (in other words an outgoing to that same number), the red could change to GREEN to stand as a reminder that the missed call was returned.

HOWEVER ... some stipulations .... it should not change to green unless the call is answered.

HOWEVER (#2) .... the call may be "answered" but with a voice mail, thus the call has not really been "returned" yet .... so there should be a quick/immediate way (button) to manually reset the "green" back to red.

(or maybe something really fancy like alternate the numbers red/green/red/green/red/green/red/green/red/green to indicate that a return call was "attempted")

iGrrrl

Oct 1, 2008
Visit site
Sorry for such a horrible inconvenience, especially on a phone that has Internet access to aquire that information. People claimed the option to see incoming and outgoing calls wasn't there and all I did was say it was.

Oh, please, no. Thank you for pointing it out, seriously. The "Duh" was directed at myself. I was just complaining into the ether about the things I wish the iPhone could do.

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
Is there a specific site or address that we can possibly post requests or complaints to Apple ???

I do agree that missed calls are most important, and thus red is appropriate.

But "immediate" distinction between INcoming and OUTgoing calls are very important to me.

I would suggest leaving OUTgoing as black (as it is now) ....

And BLUE for INcoming ....

I could also suggest a further feature .....

When a "missed" call is returned, (in other words an outgoing to that same number), the red could change to GREEN to stand as a reminder that the missed call was returned.

HOWEVER ... some stipulations .... it should not change to green unless the call is answered.

HOWEVER (#2) .... the call may be "answered" but with a voice mail, thus the call has not really been "returned" yet .... so there should be a quick/immediate way (button) to manually reset the "green" back to red.

(or maybe something really fancy like alternate the numbers red/green/red/green/red/green/red/green/red/green to indicate that a return call was "attempted")

http://forum.theiphoneblog.com/iphone-help/166349-report-your-bugs-2-1-apple-link-inside.html

E-Bot

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
by the way , you can also check duration of calls, as a whole. If you go to settings>general>usage it shows call duration, also network data. These can be reset by simply pushing the reset statistics at the very bottom.

Trending Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Erik4711