What do you want to see in firmware 2.2?

What feature would you like to see MOST in 2.2?

• MMS

Votes: 16 14.5%
  • Copy and paste

Votes: 32 29.1%
  • Turn by turn directions in GPS

Votes: 20 18.2%
  • Push notifications

Votes: 24 21.8%
  • Landscape mode for email/sms

Votes: 18 16.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

BB-fan

Jun 30, 2008
Visit site
I don't want to clog this thread, but I thought push was the battery eater... is it fetch? I use gmail, and I think push has been enabled for imap in 2.1, or at least behaves like that. I'm not positive on that one.

Trust me it's fetch that eats it like crazy because it's constantly patrolling the servers. Push does not.

PRGeno

Oct 22, 2008
Visit site
I'm new here, so I got in this poll late.

I think Copy & Paste/text selection (including between apps) is the most important on your list, with push notification and real GPS coming in right behind it.

I'd like to add a couple more though (in no particular order):

1. Proper Color coding in the calendar to allow a match to Outlook calendar categories.

2. Outlook Tasks and Notes sync over the air.

3. Allowing 3rd party speed dialers and contact search apps to include "#" and "*" characters in dial strings to allow automating calling card calls and calls to other voice mail systems. The Phone app's favorites supports it, so why not the SDK?

4. A real "Today" screen view on the lock screen, and accessible when unlocked as well. Intelliscreen is nice, if you're jailbroken, but I'd rather not have to turn off and on the device to get back to that view if the device is already on.

I have more, but I'll stop there for now.

BB-fan

Jun 30, 2008
Visit site
4. A real "Today" screen view on the lock screen, and accessible when unlocked as well. Intelliscreen is nice, if you're jailbroken, but I'd rather not have to turn off and on the device to get back to that view if the device is already on.

Apple has filed a patent for the today screen so I would not be surprised if they roll out with this feature sometime. I would like the today screen as well.

Kahne91123

Jul 7, 2008
Visit site
I didnt read through this whole thread so it may have been said but the ability to forward text messages would be nice. But definitly copy and paste

Dalekkiller

Sep 9, 2008
Visit site
I'm pretty sure there will be the ever-present "bug fixes". Having tried to delete Cooliris from my iphone, it turns out there's a bug in Apple's code that keeps the app on the phone even though the icon no longer appears. Well, that's the message I got from Cooliris so I don't know how true that it. :confused:

Dalekkiller

Sep 9, 2008
Visit site
That would be awesome. I'm just waiting for Apple to shock everyone with a bunch of new features in one update. When it/if it happens, the world will change lol.

I have this vision of Steve Jobs dressed as Santa leaving some nice goodies under the tree for us. ;)

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
That would be awesome. I'm just waiting for Apple to shock everyone with a bunch of new features in one update. When it/if it happens, the world will change lol.

I have a feeling we will see something cool soon... with the Storm and all of these other phones aiming at the iPhone I'm sure Apple has some tricks up their sleeves. I would think...

mozilla

Nov 2, 2008
Visit site
I'd like faster backups. Right now, it takes over an hour! I consider it a serious bug. Totally unacceptable.

But I'm not sure if it's an iPhone firmware thing or it's iTunes.

Dalekkiller

Sep 9, 2008
Visit site
Over an hour?? That problem went for me with the last update. I sometimes get backups lasting 10 minutes but that's only if I haven't done one for a while. It might be worth talking to Apple about your problem.

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
I'd like faster backups. Right now, it takes over an hour! I consider it a serious bug. Totally unacceptable.

But I'm not sure if it's an iPhone firmware thing or it's iTunes.

If you have the latest firmware, 2.1, and you still have long back up times... restore via iTunes and start fresh. You should not have that issue.

mozilla

Nov 2, 2008
Visit site
Over an hour?? That problem went for me with the last update. I sometimes get backups lasting 10 minutes but that's only if I haven't done one for a while.
I just tried again, and this time, it took only a few minutes. I haven't done anything since the last backup (a week ago), except added/deleted a few small apps.

I think maybe the first (full) backup is slow, then later incremental backups are faster. And maybe because I had aborted the backups, it was forced to do full backups?

I guess I'm happy now, and I'm changing my vote for turn-by-turn GPS.