Votes: 7 5.9%
  • Games/Apps from the App Store

Votes: 23 19.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

whmurray

Aug 20, 2003
Visit site
.......I have been told that people up north around New York and stuff have some reception problems but when I went to NYC I had no problems.
Travel world-wide. Live within 50 miles of NYC. Have not had any reception problems. Got excellent coverage in northern NH at Christmas time when Sprint, Verizon, and T-Mo had nothing. I have never been a fan of AT&T. Have had both Sprint and Verizon air-cards for coverage, but no problems with iPhone.

whmurray

Aug 20, 2003
Visit site
IMHO, this is one of the reasons why the iPhone continues to sell - most of the users actually don't use the phone much. If you had to depend on the iPhone for the majority of your calls, you would probably be pissed (Ash and those with great coverage not included). I just hope the network and iPhone v3 (or 2,1!) has better reception. I really want the device but I am not paying for 3G if I can't get it!
Are you trolling for reassurance? I am on my second iPhone. I have been using cell phones since 1986, have had so many I cannot count them. While there are always dead spots, in the general case, reception is a non-problem.

While AT&T has been very late to support 3G, it is no longer a problem.

Brickman

Nov 28, 2008
Visit site
I voted for Phone usage. That is what I use the most. I average about 3500 mins. per month.

It would have been easier though to have voted for what I do NOT use my iPhone for.:rolleyes: Since using the iPhone my Data Usage has sky-rocketed. I have always been a big talker and email user. I use my iPhone for business during the week, but I am getting to where I use it to do general browsing on the weekends and at night.

I have been thinking of getting a Netbook to take on the road with me when I travel out of town on business. I have changed my mind since getting my iPhone. It has become my Netbook. Now I only take my Laptop when I am on an extended stay or doing a presentation.

bubbatex

Apr 3, 2006
Visit site
Are you trolling for reassurance? I am on my second iPhone. I have been using cell phones since 1986, have had so many I cannot count them. While there are always dead spots, in the general case, reception is a non-problem.

While AT&T has been very late to support 3G, it is no longer a problem.

No not trolling - just making an observation. Again just my opinion - but as I have read about the latest greatest smartphones over the years, it seems that many who use them don't actually make a lot of calls and thus possibly don't depend on them for this purpose. This poll actually points that out a bit, doesn't it? The "phone" vote is by far the lowest.

Wyatt

Jul 28, 2008
Visit site
How about a little bit of everything or all of the above. I listen to podcasts alot but while doing so I'm doing email, on the net, sms, etc. I jump around from one function to another alot so it's kind of hard to pin it down to just one.

whmurray

Aug 20, 2003
Visit site
No not trolling - just making an observation. Again just my opinion - but as I have read about the latest greatest smartphones over the years, it seems that many who use them don't actually make a lot of calls and thus possibly don't depend on them for this purpose. This poll actually points that out a bit, doesn't it? The "phone" vote is by far the lowest.

Yes. It is the lowest but everything is relative. The great thing about the modern smart phone in general, and the iPhone in particular, is that they have so many uses. I do not make many phone calls in any case. On the other hand, I am a heavy user of data.

While I have many time-consuming applications that are off-line, connectivity for both voice and data trumps everything else. While the best performance one ever gets is, by definition, merely adequate, it only gets better. It is certainly orders of magnitude better than it was when I used a Palm Vx on a "sled" at a max of 56kbps.

Apple and, one assumes, AT&T, made a decision not to include a 3G radio in the first iPhone on the basis that 3G coverage was so limited. For a few of us that meant buying an iPhone 3G only a year after buying our first one. (my great-nephew is grateful for the first one, finds EDGE/WiFi to be "adequate" and he does not have to carry a spare battery.) Wi-Fi coverage is so much better than it was 2 years ago that 3G coverage is not the issue that it might have been. Still I rarely see the E (for edge) that I used to value when I saw it.

One really cannot advise another on value. I am what my sister calls a "heat-seeker." E-toys add more to my life style than most other choices. I appreciate your concern; I did not buy the first 3G Treo because I wanted GPS and AT&T coverage was limited to a few tens of markets. All that said, I am glad that I bought the iPhone 3G. I am sure that I will be an early purchaser of 4G, whatever the early coverage.

bubbatex

Apr 3, 2006
Visit site
Believe me - I WANT it to work! I had a 3G for a few days, but I did not have adequate 3G coverage in my home. I work from home and my mobile is my main phone so call quality is very important. I had a Storm for a while too - VZW coverage was great but the Storm's call quality was not. The iPhone's call quality is great, but ATT is not so good for me. So I decided to take it back before it cost me much and I will wait patiently until v3 comes out and hopefully the network (and the phone's hardware) will be better.

whmurray

Aug 20, 2003
Visit site
........I did not have adequate 3G coverage in my home................
Local coverage trumps everything. I left T-mo and went to Cingular, now AT&T, because I got more bars at home. I just do not want people who might get good local coverage in their homes to project your coverage on their locale.

whmurray

Aug 20, 2003
Visit site
A browser does not a smartphone make.

In 1986 I got my first hand-held mobile phone. I never used it for all of the things that I planned to justify it. Instead, I discovered uses far more valuable than those that I had planned. So it has been with the iPhone. After a decade of using Palm phones, I bought an iPhone. I thought that I knew what I would do with it. For a while, it was true.

However, since the introduction of the 2.0 software, my use of the iPhone has changed markedly. While I still use the Safari browser once or twice a day, it is mostly for backup. Most of my use of the Internet today is via specialized apps. I use Bloomberg, the Weather Channel, iTV, OneTap Movie, the Amazon Kindle reader, the e-reader.com reader. Banking, PayPal, TruPhone, YPMobile, Maps, Remote, City Transit, Station Stops, Flight Status, Airport Status, Amazon.com, iBart, Wiki Tap, Open Table, MPR Radio, and TWIT.am, Free RSS (5 feeds), and the NYTimes.

Most of the things that these apps do can be done by Safari, but none quite so well. Many of these things use GPS in a way that Safari cannot. Many of them save state on the iPhone in a way that Safari cannot. Many of these applications are what are called 'mash-ups," meaning they combine information from two or more web-sites. A browser does not a smartphone make.

A few of these applications are replicas of apps that I had on my Treo, some even by the same developers. An example is Splash Shopper, my shopping list app. However, there is little comparison; the iPhone Splash Shopper is the clear winner.

When I wake in the morning I spend an hour reading my current book. I check e-mail but deal with only a few messages. I check the weather and my calendar. I check the RSS feeds and read the Times headlines. Then I turn on TWIT.am or MPR Radio. I do all of this before I get out of bed.

On most days I will use Bloomberg to check the market several times a day. I check voice-mall and e-mail. I like to check Deliveries and the App Store several times a day. I continue to bank with Wachovia, in large part because I can use Banking with them but not with my other banks. Rarely bother to use Safari to check transactions or balances on my other accounts.

On travel days, I use Maps, City Transit, Station Stops, Flight Status, Airport Status, iBart, etc. I also use Delta.com and AA.com to check flight status and to check-in for flights. I always have music (the memory hog), audio books, and movies to divert me on the airplane. (Many airlines would not permit me to use my Treo on board but no one has even questioned my iPhone.)

I still use my Treo TomTom for turn-by-turn navigation; I am happy with the app but really do not like having to carry an extra device. However, I use Map for most of my trip planning. Did you know that Map does a great job of planning trips on public transit? I do not mean "great" for a hand-held, I mean really great. It knows the lines, interchanges, and schedules ("Mash-up"). True!

I use WinRemote, in lieu of a mouse and keyboard, to control systems on my home network. If it were easier to use on other networks, I might not need to carry a BT control for PowerPoint presentations. Every now and then I use Remote to control Music or pod-casts from iTunes.

I use the iPhone to watch TV clips, but for my birthday (74th, April) I expect to have an iPhone Slingplayer. Sling has promised to deliver it to Apple by the end of this month.

Wi-Fi has become much more useful in the last year. AT&T now competes with T-mobile in most of my Starbucks, and, with the Easy Wi-Fi app is much easier to use. More-over, our local ISP has made the county wireless, at least in all town centers and long major roadways. Not quite transparent yet, as at home, but it is getting there. On the other hand, GPRS is now fast enough for most apps.

Did I say that I sometimes use my iPhone to make phone calls? I do. It is my phone of choice. I like TruPhone, but I would like it much better if it supported headsets, BT, and the speaker. I rarely put my iPhone to my ear.

Now, if I just had cut-and-paste all of my apps would be even more useful.

Garz

Retired Moderator
Mar 9, 2009
Visit site
Well mine is a ipod touch and not a iphone so I guess I use mine most for music and then apps would be second.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73