Iphone Charging Tips

iPhone 3G cannot be charged with a FireWire power adapter or FireWire-based car charger. Make sure your computer is on while charging iPhone via USB. If iPhone is connected to a computer thats turned off or is in sleep or standby mode, the iPhone battery may drain.
    09-19-2008 02:07 AM
    I believe these tips are commonly known but thanks for the information.

I did, however, make the mistake of charging my phone via my laptop when I forgot that I had closed the lid (My settings currently have the laptop go into sleep mode when I close the lid) and my phone did not charge at all during the night. This was not such a bad thing though as it was a Sunday and I don't have a whole lot going on on Sunday except for studying
    09-22-2008 08:07 PM
    I believe these tips are commonly known but thanks for the information.

I did, however, make the mistake of charging my phone via my laptop when I forgot that I had closed the lid (My settings currently have the laptop go into sleep mode when I close the lid) and my phone did not charge at all during the night. This was not such a bad thing though as it was a Sunday and I don't have a whole lot going on on Sunday except for studying
    I'm guessing you guys are on Windows laptops? You can charge your iPhone while a Mac is in sleep mode. I charge mine every night this way on my Macbook.
    09-23-2008 12:43 AM
    Yes, I use a latop running Vista and you cannot charge anything while it is in sleep mode as far as I know.

That is very cool that the MacBook charges the phone while asleep. Do you know how it works?
    09-23-2008 03:41 PM
    Yes, I use a latop running Vista and you cannot charge anything while it is in sleep mode as far as I know.

That is very cool that the MacBook charges the phone while asleep. Do you know how it works?
    How it works? No idea... All I know is that it works!
    09-23-2008 04:09 PM
    Wow thats cool that mac works. I have been wanting a macbook pro or Imac for a while now. Hey badash buy me one and I will forever be in your good graces.
    09-23-2008 06:38 PM
    u know how apple told us to stop using the old chargers. is any one still using their old charger lol. i know i am hofuly i dont die.
    09-23-2008 11:22 PM
    I'm guessing you guys are on Windows laptops? You can charge your iPhone while a Mac is in sleep mode. I charge mine every night this way on my Macbook.
    Do you worry about battery "memory" or any of those issues associated with prolonged or often charging? I use my iPhone for everything (I watch at least 45 minutes of video every morning in addition to about an hour of listening to books every day) and it needs constant charging. I've started to just leave it plugged in when I am not using it but worry about battery issues.
    09-24-2008 07:57 AM
    Do you worry about battery "memory" or any of those issues associated with prolonged or often charging? I use my iPhone for everything (I watch at least 45 minutes of video every morning in addition to about an hour of listening to books every day) and it needs constant charging. I've started to just leave it plugged in when I am not using it but worry about battery issues.
    Honestly, no. I won't have this phone for over a year so there is no need to worry. I go thru so many devices that is a non issue for me.
    09-24-2008 08:54 AM
    Well it is a Lithium-Ion battery so it's of the best but it is still subject to a limited "lifetime" but it has a great number of cycles it will go through before the battery slowly starts to lose capacity.

The best thing you can do to preserve it is to keep it from dropping and more importantly from extreme heat like inside a car.
    09-24-2008 09:37 AM
    But it is ok to let it charge over night?
    09-24-2008 03:13 PM
    But it is ok to let it charge over night?
    Sure, it's perfectly fine to do that.
    09-24-2008 03:20 PM
    The best thing you can do to preserve it is to keep it from dropping and more importantly from extreme heat like inside a car.
    Cool, I don't do either of those two things. Does anybody think it's a good idea to always leave it plugged into the laptop when not in use? - Bad Ash's approach to cycling devices not withstanding
    09-24-2008 06:08 PM
    I would not recommend just from the small bit of knowledge I have about Lithium-ion batteries. Constant charging of any lithium-ion battery will being to slowly decrease the overall capacity of the battery.

The main problem I see is that high temperature, especially for extended amounts of time, will greatly reduce your battery capacity and quicker than you would like.

Although I have mentioned that you will lose battery capacity it does not happen over night...this occurs over many charge cycles.

If you want to learn a little bit more about lithium-ion batteries and how they work, I found this site right here: Battery University. The site seems to have a pretty well set of facts about lithium-ion batteries and how they are used and what not.
    09-25-2008 12:42 AM
    Sure, it's perfectly fine to do that.
    Thanks. That will make things easier.
    09-25-2008 01:00 PM
    It's BAD to constantly 100% drain it, however every once in a while (like once a month or so) it's good to drain it 100% to reset the memory "limits" or whatever you call it.
    09-25-2008 03:48 PM
    I got the emergency battery for charing in lower battery. But it cannot charge to full. It can help me to keep talk in portable. Visit more-thing.com
    09-26-2008 08:13 AM
    I got the emergency battery for charing in lower battery. But it cannot charge to full. It can help me to keep talk in portable. Visit more-thing.com
    There are a lot of emergency chargers out there. I've got 3 different models (you can never have too many emergency chargers) and the best in terms of size and price were from dealextreme which do give a full charge as far as I can see - I've never run out of juice on the go anymore.
    09-26-2008 10:39 AM
    It's BAD to constantly 100% drain it, however every once in a while (like once a month or so) it's good to drain it 100% to reset the memory "limits" or whatever you call it.
    I was a bit skeptical about this claim of yours dizzy until I found the same fact on the site I posted in one of my previous posts.

I think this is one of the more important tips for people to know when dealing with the charging of their iPhone or laptop.
    09-26-2008 11:20 AM
    I understand that the 3G Iphone battery only has a certain number of recharges before it fails. I like to top off my battery several times each day just in case I get called away from the office or home for an extended period and need a full charge. Is this a bad habit? Is it better to charge the battery just once, say during the night? Thanks for any help that can be provided.
    09-29-2008 07:33 AM
    I charge my phone every night and occasionaly when I am home for a certain amount of time and charge it for a bit. I don't know harm it does to the battery.
    09-29-2008 09:20 AM
    It's good every once in a while to do a full drain / full recharge, but for normal usage you will probably wind up upgrading to a new iPhone before you kill the recharge cycles of the battery
    09-29-2008 10:36 AM
    Topping off doesn't hurt the battery.
    If you had 95% battery and topped it off with 5% recharge, that 1/20th of a charge cycle.
    Let it run down to 20% and recharge it, that's 80% of a charge cycle.

Also, above 80%, it does a slow charge. Below 80% it does a faster charge. I think slower charges are more gentle and produce less heat.

So each partial charge is only a partial charge cycle.

Apple - Batteries

I just plug it in whenever I can. I also leave it plugged in overnight so it charges, tops it off, then runs on A/C all night instead of on battery. Then it's full in the morning.
    I also typically plug it in on the way home from work in the car.

They say about 400 charge cycles.
    They do offer an Applecare extended warranty for about $70. You can add it any time before your 1 year warranty expires, and this extends it to 2 years. It covers the battery. So within 2 years, if it can't retain more than 50% of it's capacity, they'll replace the battery for you.
    So Applecare pays for itself.

I'm going to get it at month 11 in to my first year if I think It will be necessary. By they I may be upgrading to a new phone or something so we'll see.
    Last edited by taylorh; 09-30-2008 at 05:55 PM.
    09-30-2008 05:51 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD