Is Apple Faking The Battery Life?

jackastor

Sep 18, 2008
Visit site
Hey all I have been using the new firmware for a few days now. The first day I synced it and got it all installed and sorted out.. Went to bed shortly after and having left the phone off the charger I was shocked to see that the phone was dead. When I went to bed it had a full charge. Two days later I used the phone for 3 hours and a half and had a two day and 3 hours of standby time on it, it still showed that it had full charge. An hour later i picked up the phone and it was dead. I think that apple has actually programed a fake into the phone to make us think that its getting better battery life. The phone never did this before and only after the "fix" it starts to go dead in minutes. The only Explanation is they faked the fix for battery life. Seems to me if we see a full bar we think its full and since we dont have anything to actually test the battery level what we see is physcologically what we believe... any one care to comment? Does Steve Jobs want to step up to the plate?

cjvitek

Jul 5, 2008
Visit site
have you checked your usage? I was having a problem earlier where push email was draining my battery incredibly fast. I reinstalled everything and battery life is much much better.

Chris

Dalekkiller

Sep 9, 2008
Visit site
I've found battery life to be slightly better since the upgrade. Although I leave my phone on overnight, I put it in airplane mode so that I'm not disturbed by early texts and to preserve power. The only time it will drain quickly is if I'm playing a lot of games or on Twinkle for quite a while.

marcol

Aug 31, 2005
Visit site
Went to bed shortly after and having left the phone off the charger I was shocked to see that the phone was dead. When I went to bed it had a full charge.
Like Chris says, have you checked your usage? If it happens again see if the 'Usage' time is very similar to the 'Standby time' - if it is, you likely have something running continuously in the background.

Two days later I used the phone for 3 hours and a half and had a two day and 3 hours of standby time on it, it still showed that it had full charge. An hour later i picked up the phone and it was dead.
I had something like that happen once with 2.0.x. After a heavy day's usage the battery meter still showed full. I restarted phone and it showed the correct level. Others have seen it too - it seems like it's just an occasional bug. It's certainly not specific to 2.1.

I think that apple has actually programed a fake into the phone to make us think that its getting better battery life. The phone never did this before and only after the "fix" it starts to go dead in minutes. The only Explanation is they faked the fix for battery life. Seems to me if we see a full bar we think its full and since we dont have anything to actually test the battery level what we see is physcologically what we believe... any one care to comment? Does Steve Jobs want to step up to the plate?
If Apple had done as you suggest there would be several million pissed off iPhone owners out there and the internet would be full of the story. If the problem persists, try rebooting or if that doesn't work try restoring. Still no luck, try restoring without using the backup data.

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
I'd be lying if I said that my battery life hasn't had a significant improvement since the 2.1 upgrade. I'm getting at least 15%-20% better battery during the day if I was to ballpark it.

jackastor

Sep 18, 2008
Visit site
Since I dont use push, for data at all I do not have it on. I use the phone for talking and since this is my main line. However I did reboot the phone and the level indicator is droping as would be expected. What I dont understand is why Apple has not fixed this. And I am not fully sure that The 2.1 firmware update is correctly fixing all the bugs. I do have faster load times for dl apps, I do have faster backup and sync times. But I dont think Apple has gotten it right just yet. I think there is further improvement that needs to be done for the phones to work correctly. My friends wife has the iphone and she complains of having to recharge all the time... they live out of province, So I am unclear as to what settings are done on the phone. But it is a concerne that needs to be looked in to. Well whatever the out come I am certainly happy with my phone and have no intentions to return it or replace it anytime soon.

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
The first two days I installed the 2.1 update I'd say battery life was way off... see here. But since then I have resolved my issue and I have to say it is slightly improved. But don't expect miracles.

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
I'd say maybe about a 5% increase IF that... but I also have push email updating constantly

It really is going to depend on the individual and how they use the device. Just like you said you have push activated. As do I but I'm getting a bit more than 5% i'd say. Do you have more than one email account pushing?

spsands

Sep 10, 2008
www.twitter.com
yeah... only 2 right now though. and I am constantly on the internet or playing games.

I just brought an ipod usb cord to work with me. I just plug it in to my computer... charges all day while I use it.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2