Undocumented 2.1 Features

Dalekkiller

Sep 9, 2008
Visit site
Finally got 2.1 installed after a bit of a nightmare. I expected the backup before the installation to be long. 6 1/2 hours later and it was nearly done then an error message saying couldn't be completed as phone had disconnected (but it hadn't). Anyway, unplugged it then plugged it back in and everything went through pretty quickly. When I went to sync again to get the Genius and green apps bit, backup apparently couldn't complete as "phone had disconnected" again - hope this isn't another bug.

So far, things do seem slicker, the keyboard is faster, the alerts in Twinkle seem to be louder and I've got 5 bars all the time now. Looking forward to seeing what else it will do.

LouieO

Sep 2, 2008
Visit site
If anyone figures out exactly how this extra text message alerts work... please update us... I know they announced it as a feature but I have yet to find a answer of how... I've let incoming texts sit and no other alerts happen. No way to toggle it on or off in the settings either... hmmm

have you tried letting the text message sit there with the screen locked...maybe it works like Inteliscreen's alert setup.

mpeezy65

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
Text Messaging

In long text messages, the older messages are hidden, so you can scroll through the newer ones faster. At the top, there's a new button that says "Load Earlier Messages" that lets you do just that.

BTW, on the genius thing, I must not be one. When I go to playlists, it's not there. I think I read somewhere else about re-syncing to fix the issue.

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
have you tried letting the text message sit there with the screen locked...maybe it works like Inteliscreen's alert setup.

Yeah, I let it sit for over 20 minutes with out and second alert. It's really weird because not a single person on any forum I have been on has a answer to this. So maybe it's not working?

Dalekkiller

Sep 9, 2008
Visit site
In long text messages, the older messages are hidden, so you can scroll through the newer ones faster. At the top, there's a new button that says "Load Earlier Messages" that lets you do just that.

BTW, on the genius thing, I must not be one. When I go to playlists, it's not there. I think I read somewhere else about re-syncing to fix the issue.

Yes, you need to re-sync. When a track is playing, tap on the album artwork - this will bring up the progress bar which will have the Genius button on it - saw this on the Apple video of the speech.

ILBandit

Jul 4, 2008
Visit site
If anyone figures out exactly how this extra text message alerts work... please update us... I know they announced it as a feature but I have yet to find a answer of how... I've let incoming texts sit and no other alerts happen. No way to toggle it on or off in the settings either... hmmm

It works on mine.. had a guy send me a message, I just ignored it, and didn't touch the phone. After about 5 minutes, my text alert tone went off again, I still didn't touch it, and let it sit there more, and 5-10 minutes later, my text alert tone dinged again. I didn't let it sit any longer after the 2nd time, I assumed that was it. But it did work for me. No setting to mess with under any of the settings screens, I think it just works on it's own, if you receive a text, and don't acknowledge it by opening it up on the phone, it will just remind you again by repeating the tone.

janktified

Jul 12, 2008
Visit site
I actually had the text message second alert work. I had just gotten out of the shower and my iphone made the text sound, and when I checked it the message had actually been sent 5 minutes before, so I assume that was the second alert.

rijc99

Mar 5, 2007
Visit site
Any update on the second alert issue? I've tried it with both passlock on and off and can't get it to do a second alert.

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
Any update on the second alert issue? I've tried it with both passlock on and off and can't get it to do a second alert.

Ok, I can confirm it does indeed work, the first alert goes off 5 minutes after the initial alert. Another 10 minutes later the second went off. The screen does not light up, it is just the sound.

Last edited:

rijc99

Mar 5, 2007
Visit site
Ok, I can confirm it does indeed work, the first alert goes off 5 minutes after the initial alert. It's 15 minutes later and I have not gotten the second alert... weird. The screen does not light up, it is just the sound.

So you got one second alert but not a third? What are your setting? I don't understand why Apple doesn't place a setting in an obvious location.

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
So you got one second alert but not a third? What are your setting? I don't understand why Apple doesn't place a setting in an obvious location.

I tested it again and I must have not heard it the second time. The first comes after 5 minutes, the second after 10 more minutes. Updated my post above.

rijc99

Mar 5, 2007
Visit site
Ok, finally got it to work... if my phone screen is on (at the home screen and out of the sms app) when the first alert comes through there is no repeat alert. If my phone is off when the first alert comes through there is a repeat alert.

Can someone confirm or correct me?

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
Ok, finally got it to work... if my phone screen is on (at the home screen and out of the sms app) when the first alert comes through there is no repeat alert. If my phone is off when the first alert comes through there is a repeat alert.

Can someone confirm or correct me?

Confirmed.

Dalekkiller

Sep 9, 2008
Visit site
Ok thanks, I didn't know that because I'd never bothered with passcode locking before. I saw something about it elsewhere and thought it was a new feature. :)

janekx

Sep 14, 2008
Visit site
New fix is that 2.0fw was not able connect using Cisco VPN to IOS routers and this fact was in manual too. Now 2.1fw works with IOS routers so can be take as new feature.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods