Undocumented 2.1 Features

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
Figured I would start a thread that we all can post to for undocumented features of the 2.1 firmware only.

Here is what I have found so far.

~You can pause the installation of apps by simply clicking on the icon.

~While listening to music via your headphones you can click the mic 3 times to go back a track.

~You can now take away the camera in the parental settings.

~You are now able to see APPS in iTunes to see how much space they are
taking up.

If I find more I will post asap.

Last edited:

cardfan

Oct 26, 2004
Visit site
I'll try to remember what i read in other forums as itunes was restoring:

1. Half circle next to partially watched tv or movies
2. Different icons for 3g but rather obvious
3. genius has to be done in itunes and is basically synced to phone
4. icons stay where they were (second hand info tho)

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
I'll try to remember what i read in other forums as itunes was restoring:

1. Half circle next to partially watched tv or movies
2. Different icons for 3g but rather obvious
4. icons stay where they were (second hand info tho)

I can confirm your #4.

marcol

Aug 31, 2005
Visit site
It can be done on the phone. iPod>Playlists>Genius. Pick a song and the Genius playlist is created. It starts to play and you get options to refresh, save, or make a new play list.

I thought Genius would be meh but it turns out to be great!

cardfan

Oct 26, 2004
Visit site
Really? Nice.. Yes, i have to say i like the genius feature. The top 100 lists, etc seldom give me what i want.

cardfan

Oct 26, 2004
Visit site
woo hoo. lyrics show up in a transparent pane over the album art in the song control screen (the same screen that the genius button is on). or at least they do for NIN - The Slip. comment from engadget. This a new feature or something i missed along the way?

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
Pass code exploit is now fixed. Double tapping the home button does nothing until you enter in your pass code.

marcol

Aug 31, 2005
Visit site
Really? Nice.. Yes, i have to say i like the genius feature. The top 100 lists, etc seldom give me what i want.
Here you go:

photo-1.jpg

No comments about my tastes in music please!

Dalekkiller

Sep 9, 2008
Visit site
Still going through update process due to backup at the moment. I'm so pleased to see that "previous song" thing - it really annoyed me that I could go forwards but not backwards - fantastic!! Now if only this update process would finish.....

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
If anyone figures out exactly how this extra text message alerts work... please update us... I know they announced it as a feature but I have yet to find a answer of how... I've let incoming texts sit and no other alerts happen. No way to toggle it on or off in the settings either... hmmm

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
Heard this elsewhere and can confirm it works.

"the bug where if you deleted or moved an email on the iPhone, and went to MobileMe web, the deleted or moved item was still in the inbox as well as the deleted or other folder is now fixed. When you delete or move an email on the iPhone, the email no longer appears in the Inbox on the MobileMe web version."

Also a major keyboard flaw since the 2.0.1 firmware where when you try to teach the phone to remember a word by hitting X when it would try to change the word you were typing... after hitting X on that word 3 times it should of remembered it. Well this was broken and is now fixed with 2.1.

Last edited:

Dalekkiller

Sep 9, 2008
Visit site
Personally, I can't see myself needing that extra alert especially as there's plenty of info that comes up on the home screen e.g. part of the message when it first arrives or a box to tell me who the texts are from if I've not unlocked the phone. It's a nice idea though and two is better than the 3 calls I used to get on my old motorola handset when there was a voicemail.

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
Personally, I can't see myself needing that extra alert especially as there's plenty of info that comes up on the home screen e.g. part of the message when it first arrives or a box to tell me who the texts are from if I've not unlocked the phone. It's a nice idea though and two is better than the 3 calls I used to get on my old motorola handset when there was a voicemail.

It's nice to have, especially since there is no blinking LED for alerts. Now if I could just figure it out... can't be that difficult can it??? :rolleyes:

Dalekkiller

Sep 9, 2008
Visit site
Guess I'm just so addicted to my 3G that I hardly ever put it down - although I'm not yet so addicted that I take it to bed like some people do!

jazzfiend4

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
One feature I havnt heard anyone mention on any boards are the fact that now in itunes where it shows how your iphone's memory is broken down they have now added a space for apps, awesome, now it just doesnt say other for everything.

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
One feature I havnt heard anyone mention on any boards are the fact that now in itunes where it shows how your iphone's memory is broken down they have now added a space for apps, awesome, now it just doesnt say other for everything.

First post, 4th one down. :D

JDSX

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
I wonder why they thought text messages need an extra alert but not for emails, voicemails, or reminders? Reminders especially.

Dalekkiller

Sep 9, 2008
Visit site
Same here... I just have to behave when my girlfriend is over. She doesn't appreciate me messing with my phone when she's over... which I understand. :D

Can I quote you guys on that so that I can prove to my mates that there are people slightly more addicted than I am? :D:D

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CØR