2.1 IPhone upgrade - How is it working for you?

jaimex99

Jul 3, 2008
Visit site
Super Monkey Ball is acting weird. Some audio tracks get slowed down to the point they sound funny. When a level begins and the voice asks "ready?", sometimes, it sounds like Darth Vader is asking me the question. Safari quits on me more often. I think that in my case, 2.1 made it worse, since I did not suffer due to dropped calls, contact search lag, or poor signal before.

MrEClass

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
***Note: I am using 2G Iphone***

I definitely believe there are some issues that came along with this new helpful ;) firmware update.

I have noticed that the backup is much shorter(mine was always fairly quick), the contact list is still delayed just a tiny tiny bit but good enough, and the texting is so much better because it never lags!

I had a weak battery after my full charge after updating to 2.1. After changing both my Gmail and Exchange email accounts to fetch hourly they batter has lasted much much longer. Also, when checking email, the downloading seems to be a bit faster which is also nice.

schartzr

Jul 14, 2008
Visit site
So far I am happy with my 2.1 update I used my phone all day Friday, went out with friends, left the bar at midnight got a call from a friend she went though high water and flodded her car I took her home and made calls till about 1:45. Forgot to charage my phone, got up at 630 to go pick her up so we could look at her car. by the time I was done helping her I had 32+ hours and over 6 house of usage and still have 1/4 of my battery left. This is by far the best update yet (for battery life that is.)

MikeKell#IM

Sep 15, 2008
Visit site
What happened to the UPDATE ALL button in the App Store "updates" option? It seems one now has to update each app one at a time. TELL APPLE TO PUT THIS BACK!

cardfan

Oct 26, 2004
Visit site
Having browser crashes, much less app crashes (still have them though), and weird Edge coverage. It goes to one bar, to no service to 4 bars in the home even in the same spot.

I know at&t is playing with femtocells like the sprint airwave. Hopefully this won't take much longer as that would solve my major con.

cardfan

Oct 26, 2004
Visit site
I'm hearing the winds may have knocked down a cell tower. Hard to tell then if its just my phone or 2.1 or whatever..lol

cjvitek

Jul 5, 2008
Visit site
I was getting an error message about writing to the disk, so I reset my iPhone and resintalled the applications. Since doing that, I haven't had the serious battery drain problem I was having previously.

taroliw

Apr 5, 2005
www.billsden.org
What happened to the UPDATE ALL button in the App Store "updates" option? It seems one now has to update each app one at a time. TELL APPLE TO PUT THIS BACK!

Heh... and I've had at least one app suggest that it has an update available but upon pulling up the detail page is says "INSTALLED". Uh... not really. But I guess I'll try back later.

taroliw

Apr 5, 2005
www.billsden.org
Well, I've been running 2.1 for a bit now and find that it has definitely improved battery life with 3G enabled. I'm thinking that I might actually leave it turned on now -- I'd previously disabled 3G and still had to charge my phone once a day.

As for signal strength, locations where I had one bar or constant Edge-to-3G flipping, I'm now getting up to 3 bars. At home, where it was the worst, I've actually seen five bars (though usu 3 or 4). Amazing. No dropped calls yet, but then I don't use phone heavily either.

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
First I had the issue with mobileme constantly pinging and heating my phone up draining the battery.... after a hard reset it was still there, then I disabled push for contacts and calendar and it went away! Now mobileme is not pushing properly to the phone since yesterday. I'm hoping it is a issue with mobileme, it was working fine previously. Anyone else having push issues with mobileme?

cjvitek

Jul 5, 2008
Visit site
Just an update.

After upgrading, I was having the same battery problems as BadAsh (although I was using only Yahoo and Microsoft Exchange push). It was getting hot, and the battery would last about 1/2 day (if I was lucky).

I did a hard reset, reinstalling my apps (and losing my spores - sad) but now my battery life is great. I have gone 22 hours since my last charge, and I have about 30% of my battery left.

According to the usage meter, I have had 2.5 hours of use, and 22.5 hours of standby since the last full charge - and as I said, about 30% of the battery left. Use was mostly playing Spore last night, with some phone calls. I used the GPS once, qand watched about 10 minutes of a video and used about 20 minutes of song playing. I have push, 3G, wifi all enabled.

Chris

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
Just an update.

After upgrading, I was having the same battery problems as BadAsh (although I was using only Yahoo and Microsoft Exchange push). It was getting hot, and the battery would last about 1/2 day (if I was lucky).

I did a hard reset, reinstalling my apps (and losing my spores - sad) but now my battery life is great. I have gone 22 hours since my last charge, and I have about 30% of my battery left.

According to the usage meter, I have had 2.5 hours of use, and 22.5 hours of standby since the last full charge - and as I said, about 30% of the battery left. Use was mostly playing Spore last night, with some phone calls. I used the GPS once, qand watched about 10 minutes of a video and used about 20 minutes of song playing. I have push, 3G, wifi all enabled.

Chris

My battery life is better, now I wish mobileme was more consistent.

Dalekkiller

Sep 9, 2008
Visit site
Everything is still going really well (should I really be that surprised?) the only thing that I still get are repeated emails - they appear in my inbox again as new even if I've deleted them. I don't have Exchange or MobileMe and I thought that issues with email were going to be sorted. Compared to the difficulties I had before 2.1 this is just a minor itch. :D

Crunch

Sep 17, 2008
Visit site
Battery life is better, WiFi doesn't disconnect all the time, even at full bars, it's more response overall...not bad.

I would like to re-jailbreak it. I know you Mac guys have two pwnage tools already. WinPwn 2.5 was great for me for jailbreaking 2.0.2.

Any idea when there will be a Windows tool for jailbreaking 2.1?

Thanks all! :)

BB-fan

Jun 30, 2008
Visit site
It fixed my wifi and sounds but now my emails don't seem to fetch every 15 mind like before. I have manually check it.