2.1 IPhone upgrade - How is it working for you?

ROAMINGRICAN

Jul 17, 2008
Visit site
so far my areas that I had edge I now get 3g and areas with no signal at all I get edge I did have one app crash to home safari twice and my mail fully froze needing a hard reboot that cleared the usage data but a few minutes prior it gave me the 20% warning I was at 5:07 of usage and 7:36 standby I guesstimate about 6 1/2 hours of usage with wifi gps and 3g on so iPhone oficially *sp? Wins the 3g smartphone battery war. The crashes went down from aprox. 30

Reaktor5

May 31, 2008
Visit site
Improved battery life x 10 for me!
I just played Spore for about 45 minutes straight (amazing game so far) and updated a few apps over the air which left my battery still at about 3/4 full! Before if I had played Spore for let's say a half hour my battery might be reduced to almost half. I'm glad to see such an improvement.

hegedusa#IM

Sep 13, 2008
Visit site
maps now uses mobile network properly

One thing I've noticed since 2.1 is that the maps application now approximates your location (I would imagine by using the signal strength from nearby mobile phone masts) quite quickly. I have never seen that happen before. It always used to wait until it got a full GPS lock (which could be several minutes).

I don't know if this was supposed to work before or not, but it certainly makes the maps feature more useful.

This is in the UK by the way

rijc99

Mar 5, 2007
Visit site
Oh man, just had a safari freeze up following a 3g to edge hand off. The phone momentarily showed "no service" then froze.

Going to do a reset.

Btw. Mods, please add an option to edit posts in mobile version. Also an icon for the mobile version of the forums.

E Pow

Jul 23, 2008
Visit site
My battery life has improved, my contact lag has GREATLY improved, and my signal strength has improved. So far I've experienced nothing but improvements with the things that my iphone was suffering from. I have noticed that even though Gmail may not exactly be push but I'm getting email alerts within 2-5 mins of when the original email was sent. That's about as close to push as you can get. I'm 100% happy so far.

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
This whole battery life improving talk... has anyone noticed that the usage time seems a bit messed up... my phone was taken off the charger... 2 hours later and only a 5 minute phone call it said the usage time was 1 hour and 56 minutes...

Can anyone else confirm this? Maybe due to push email?

cjvitek

Jul 5, 2008
Visit site
If your phone works well and it didn't before that's all that matters... then the update worked... :)

I did have a issue while getting to work today. My phone got really warm and my battery drained quicker than ever... and I have no charger here at work... I think it may have been due to the fact that where I am at right now is on a 3g fringe area... I'm hoping. :confused:

My battery seems to be draining extra fast as well. I had it fully charged this morning, and by mid afternoon I was getting a 10% battery charge warning! I had hardly used it at all!

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
My battery seems to be draining extra fast as well. I had it fully charged this morning, and by mid afternoon I was getting a 10% battery charge warning! I had hardly used it at all!

Are you using exchange or mobileme? Check the main page for the latest blog. Just added my story...

cjvitek

Jul 5, 2008
Visit site
I am using exchange. Is there some way to set the contact and calendar to "fetch", while the mail is push? I changed the over all setting for the account to fetch?

While I certainly don't need push email or contact or anything, I have gotten a little spoiled with having them. Everything is on fetch right now, 15 minutes (settings changed under "fetch new data" options for the specific email account - yahoo is still push). I will see what happens.

Chris

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
I am using exchange. Is there some way to set the contact and calendar to "fetch", while the mail is push? I changed the over all setting for the account to fetch?

While I certainly don't need push email or contact or anything, I have gotten a little spoiled with having them. Everything is on fetch right now, 15 minutes (settings changed under "fetch new data" options for the specific email account - yahoo is still push). I will see what happens.

Chris

There should be yes. In settings go to the "Fetch New Data" settings, then down to advanced... should be in there. Good luck!

cjvitek

Jul 5, 2008
Visit site
You know what would be great - some sort of schedule option for the various radios.

I mean, form midnight to 7:00am, I am unliked to be doing ANYTHING on the phone, to it would be great to be able to turn off the phone, wireless, location services, etc.

Then, when wake up, maybe at work 3G would be off since I use wifi there, but I still want Edge on so that I can make a phone call. Or have push off at those times, since I am on my computer at work.

Or how about having "profiles" - a driving profile where wifi is off, so you don't have to worry about it looking for wifi. Or a home profile where 3G is off, since you are using your wireless network. Etc.

That sort of stuff would really help people save battery charge. Instead, I have to manually adjust everything, and with push on at home (not a requirement, but something I like to have) my battery barely last half a day!

I still haven't found the way to selectively enable/disable push for email, contact, or calendar. In the settings, it is either off, or on, for the entire account (a microsoft exchange account).

Chris

cjvitek

Jul 5, 2008
Visit site
I just backed up for the first time since 2.1 came out - it went a lot faster. About 1 or 2 minutes, instead of 1 or 2 hours!

Chris

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CØR