People over on Howard's forums are saying the extra 3g bars on reception is a trick.
    09-12-2008 04:48 PM
    People over on Howard's forums are saying the extra 3g bars on reception is a trick.
    Doesn't seem like a trick to me. I am getting AMAZING 3G reception now.
    09-12-2008 05:12 PM
    Doesn't seem like a trick to me. I am getting AMAZING 3G reception now.
    If your phone works well and it didn't before that's all that matters... then the update worked...

I did have a issue while getting to work today. My phone got really warm and my battery drained quicker than ever... and I have no charger here at work... I think it may have been due to the fact that where I am at right now is on a 3g fringe area... I'm hoping.
    09-12-2008 06:42 PM
    Upgraded today as battery life had me down. Drains so fast. After the long download, I rebooted and then lost my access to Exchange server (work email). And then everything was hanging up and delaying touch commands. I'm not able to get any email, one account with comcast, at this time. Weird stuff. Anyone else have issues with exchange server accounts?

Thanks,

BKC
    09-12-2008 08:04 PM
    One of my biggest gripes was the sound setting bugs..
    Did the update this morning, haven't missed a text yet, the alerts are going off every time, and it is doing the extra alerts for me. I let one sit, about 5 minutes later, it beeped again, and then it did it 1 more time a little later than that. (might have been 5-10 minutes, not really sure) So the issue is good to go for me.

My other big gripe was the ringer volume being reset to lower levels on it's own.
    After the update..... the volume for the ipod features is now independent of itself. And the ringtone volume is staying put where I left it. No more problems with that now either.

Contacts are able to scroll after about 1 second, before it was over 5 seconds before they would move.

Not sure if it my imagination, but it almost seems like the text alerts are louder now also.

I'm very pleased with the update, everything seems to be going great!
    09-12-2008 09:33 PM
    so far my areas that I had edge I now get 3g and areas with no signal at all I get edge I did have one app crash to home safari twice and my mail fully froze needing a hard reboot that cleared the usage data but a few minutes prior it gave me the 20% warning I was at 5:07 of usage and 7:36 standby I guesstimate about 6 1/2 hours of usage with wifi gps and 3g on so iPhone oficially *sp? Wins the 3g smartphone battery war. The crashes went down from aprox. 30
    09-12-2008 10:34 PM
    Had my second call i made after the update drop on me.

Hopefully it was just a fluke but time will tell.
    09-13-2008 01:13 AM
    Improved battery life x 10 for me!
    I just played Spore for about 45 minutes straight (amazing game so far) and updated a few apps over the air which left my battery still at about 3/4 full! Before if I had played Spore for let's say a half hour my battery might be reduced to almost half. I'm glad to see such an improvement.
    09-13-2008 01:37 AM
    my 3g actually works now! waiting on battery life...
    09-13-2008 03:18 AM
    One thing I've noticed since 2.1 is that the maps application now approximates your location (I would imagine by using the signal strength from nearby mobile phone masts) quite quickly. I have never seen that happen before. It always used to wait until it got a full GPS lock (which could be several minutes).

I don't know if this was supposed to work before or not, but it certainly makes the maps feature more useful.

This is in the UK by the way
    09-13-2008 12:49 PM
    Safari just crashed on me while browsing the forums here. Also keyboard entry for quick response seems laggy.
    09-13-2008 01:44 PM
    Oh man, just had a safari freeze up following a 3g to edge hand off. The phone momentarily showed "no service" then froze.

Going to do a reset.

Btw. Mods, please add an option to edit posts in mobile version. Also an icon for the mobile version of the forums.
    09-13-2008 02:19 PM
    My battery life has improved, my contact lag has GREATLY improved, and my signal strength has improved. So far I've experienced nothing but improvements with the things that my iphone was suffering from. I have noticed that even though Gmail may not exactly be push but I'm getting email alerts within 2-5 mins of when the original email was sent. That's about as close to push as you can get. I'm 100% happy so far.
    09-13-2008 04:47 PM
    This whole battery life improving talk... has anyone noticed that the usage time seems a bit messed up... my phone was taken off the charger... 2 hours later and only a 5 minute phone call it said the usage time was 1 hour and 56 minutes...

Can anyone else confirm this? Maybe due to push email?
    09-13-2008 07:38 PM
    my push is always on, but i dont have usage times that close to the unplugged times..
    09-13-2008 07:47 PM
    my push is always on, but i dont have usage times that close to the unplugged times..
    Now I know I am not crazy....

iPhone 3G's with 2.1 software battery life - Mac Forums
    09-13-2008 07:49 PM
    keep us posted bad ash please!
    09-13-2008 08:52 PM
    keep us posted bad ash please!
    Just did another full restore from scratch... if this does not work consider me a ex-iPhone user. I am super ticked off.
    09-13-2008 08:59 PM
    If your phone works well and it didn't before that's all that matters... then the update worked...

I did have a issue while getting to work today. My phone got really warm and my battery drained quicker than ever... and I have no charger here at work... I think it may have been due to the fact that where I am at right now is on a 3g fringe area... I'm hoping.
    My battery seems to be draining extra fast as well. I had it fully charged this morning, and by mid afternoon I was getting a 10% battery charge warning! I had hardly used it at all!
    09-13-2008 10:50 PM
    My battery seems to be draining extra fast as well. I had it fully charged this morning, and by mid afternoon I was getting a 10% battery charge warning! I had hardly used it at all!
    Are you using exchange or mobileme? Check the main page for the latest blog. Just added my story...
    09-13-2008 10:52 PM
    I am using exchange. Is there some way to set the contact and calendar to "fetch", while the mail is push? I changed the over all setting for the account to fetch?

While I certainly don't need push email or contact or anything, I have gotten a little spoiled with having them. Everything is on fetch right now, 15 minutes (settings changed under "fetch new data" options for the specific email account - yahoo is still push). I will see what happens.

Chris
    09-14-2008 10:14 AM
    I am using exchange. Is there some way to set the contact and calendar to "fetch", while the mail is push? I changed the over all setting for the account to fetch?

While I certainly don't need push email or contact or anything, I have gotten a little spoiled with having them. Everything is on fetch right now, 15 minutes (settings changed under "fetch new data" options for the specific email account - yahoo is still push). I will see what happens.

Chris
    There should be yes. In settings go to the "Fetch New Data" settings, then down to advanced... should be in there. Good luck!
    09-14-2008 12:17 PM
    I can turn push off for specific accounts, but I can not specify for email, contacts, calendar.
    09-14-2008 02:44 PM
    You know what would be great - some sort of schedule option for the various radios.

I mean, form midnight to 7:00am, I am unliked to be doing ANYTHING on the phone, to it would be great to be able to turn off the phone, wireless, location services, etc.

Then, when wake up, maybe at work 3G would be off since I use wifi there, but I still want Edge on so that I can make a phone call. Or have push off at those times, since I am on my computer at work.

Or how about having "profiles" - a driving profile where wifi is off, so you don't have to worry about it looking for wifi. Or a home profile where 3G is off, since you are using your wireless network. Etc.

That sort of stuff would really help people save battery charge. Instead, I have to manually adjust everything, and with push on at home (not a requirement, but something I like to have) my battery barely last half a day!

I still haven't found the way to selectively enable/disable push for email, contact, or calendar. In the settings, it is either off, or on, for the entire account (a microsoft exchange account).

Chris
    09-14-2008 09:00 PM
    I just backed up for the first time since 2.1 came out - it went a lot faster. About 1 or 2 minutes, instead of 1 or 2 hours!

Chris
    09-14-2008 09:01 PM
128 ... 23456
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD