Who is going to be brave and update to 2.1 right away?

Reaktor5

May 31, 2008
Visit site
Via Mac Rumors:

As promised, Apple has released the iPhone 2.1 firmware through iTunes this morning. The iPhone 2.1 contains the following updates as listed by Apple:

- decrease in call set-up failures andcall drops
- significantly improve battery life for most users
- dramatically reduced time to backup to iTunes
- improve email reliability, notable fetching email from POP and Exchange accounts
- faster installation of 3rd party applications
- fixed bugs causing hangs and crashes if you have lots of 3rd party applications
- improved performance of text messaging
- faster loading and searching of contacts
- improved accuracy of the 3G signal strength display
- repeat alert up to two additional times for incoming text messages
- option to wipe data after ten failed passcode attempts
- Genius playlist creation

cardfan

Oct 26, 2004
Visit site
I'd recommend a clean restore. It's a pain..yes. But a fix this big, it's better to just start clean.. Faster too since you do no backup first. Might even be important enough for its own thread..do a clean install for best results..lol

Last edited:

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
Is everyone doing a restore first? If not is it working good as just an upgrade?

Just to save time I did a upgrade and all is well. My mobileme seems a bit unstable with push but that may just be the service at the moment.

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
So I restore....upgrade and then re-sync to iTunes and Calendar? What's the advantage?

You can do it in that order sure. Advantage? Look at it this way, if something on that backup file is corrupt causing some sort of issue for you and you use that same file on a fresh install you may run into more issues. If things are fine now, then just upgrade like normal.

cardfan

Oct 26, 2004
Visit site
I look at it like installing vista over xp..i would do it clean. If something as big as 2.1 fixes a lot of bugs then why use a backup of a previous buggy version to sync with?

Just common sense to me i guess. And yes, its a pain to redo all the settings, put passwords back in, etc. But hopefully 2.1 makes things better from here on in that regard..

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2