Exchange Email Options

loconite#IM

Jul 26, 2008
Visit site
Mobile Me fails me on two counts
1. Reliable Push email
2. Letting me use my domain email (hosted using Google Apps)

I worked around it by signing up for an exchange account with Mailstreet. Now my personal domain email is pushed to my iPhone while also letting me manage/sync my Contacts+Calender with my iPhone. There are several providers like MailStreet who offer exchange+iPhone combo...just search for Exchange Hosting on gOOgle.

Last edited:

hotrod#AC

Jan 31, 2006
Visit site
I too am using Sherweb. Been using it for almost a year now. First on my WinMo Treo and now on my iPhone. I initially had some problems with re-occurring Calendar appointments (birthdays and anniv) that were set up many years ago. Worked fine on my Treo and PC, but on the iPhone they looked like invitations. I had to re-create the 12-18 appointments as new ones.

Sherweb service is great. I don't own my own domain. I'm using my business' domain. Didn't have to buy it or didn't cost me more than the normal monthly rate.

I highly recommend it. Of course when my business switches to Zimbra in the spring, I'll probably move to Zimbra and drop Sherweb and the monthly bill. ;)

impaler

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
I would NEVER use this interways thing. I've copy and pasted my remarks from over on another forum where I put this head to head with MobileMe, and it just isn't a solution that fits me. I'll also add that my remarks were originally made in late September/early October, and it's been working beautifully for me for weeks now, over two Macs, two PCs, and my iPhone.

Lovers of this service seem to tout that the first month is free. I don't care that the first month is free. MobileMe's first TWO MONTHS are free. If you don't want it, you uncheck a single box and you're never charged. End of story. And for those that stick with it after 60 days, they get four months free in the first year. Those that have shamelessly defended this other service, and can't seem to deal well with others pointing out potential or real shortfalls. I don't shamelessly defend MobileMe, and I am the first to point out its shortfalls. Desktop push is coming. They really botched the launch of the product, but the concepts and designs of the service are really spot on. It's just what is needed in the industry. Some people just can't accept the vision. Prince McLean really articulates it all well in his six-part Inside MobileMe series on Appleinsider.com.

I don't think the majority of people are happy with interways anyway, as in the poll on their homepage, where they ask how happy people are with the service, 31% say "not so much", more than any other category. Red flag! They're also a German company--I prefer to deal with American companies.

Anyway, back to my point. You failed to articulate how, with other services, paid or free, I can get all the functionality that MobileMe brings. It's much more than e-mail...more than calendar and contacts sync. And let's see: I can choose iwm.me, air-mail.cc, electrogramm.com...etc...all lame domain names, as is interways.net. So, until you can show me, piece by piece, how I can duplicate the functionality and tight integration MobileMe provides for my Macs, my iPhone and Windows XP at work, it's all nonsense to me. Most people want one solution, not 10. That's why this service is not a one-to-one replacement. I can't even agree it's a solid e-mail and calendar replacement. I don't want to change my e-mail address, for one. Therefore, I'd have to go search and find other services that piece together perhaps 50% of the functionality. No thanks. I'm not going to provide money to more than one company for what I already get for a reasonable $8.33/month, and that's that.

I do wish MobileMe provided the ability to host more than photos on my own domain name. However, I think they should stay out of that business--too messy and other companies do it well.

I'm glad some are happy with this other service--but there are reasons for wanting one or the other. At the end of the day, the end user will have to decide what works best for them.

BB-fan

Jun 30, 2008
Visit site
I honestly never thought that switching to exchange would make such a huge improvement. MobileMe has a long way to go. At least in my particular case it does...

I agree I am just extremely happy now with with email. Everything syncs easily. I still have my old account but I switched everything to my new exchange account. My old AOL account gets so much spam now its nuts.

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
I agree I am just extremely happy now with with email. Everything syncs easily. I still have my old account but I switched everything to my new exchange account. My old AOL account gets so much spam now its nuts.

That's the nice thing about your own domain... you will never get spam.

hotrod#AC

Jan 31, 2006
Visit site
That's the nice thing about your own domain... you will never get spam.

you will get it eventually. maybe not AOL quantities, but it is just a matter of time before they get you email address....your sister forwards on some piece of spam to you and 100 other friends, you may delete it, but someone will keep forwarding it without removing all the mail header info and eventually someone will collect it.

I'm not always so pessimistic, just playing the devils advocate this AM.

BB-fan

Jun 30, 2008
Visit site
you will get it eventually. maybe not AOL quantities, but it is just a matter of time before they get you email address....your sister forwards on some piece of spam to you and 100 other friends, you may delete it, but someone will keep forwarding it without removing all the mail header info and eventually someone will collect it.

I'm not always so pessimistic, just playing the devils advocate this AM.

While that is very true and also signing up for things on websites can do it as well. I'll just use the old account for that.

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
While that is very true and also signing up for things on websites can do it as well. I'll just use the old account for that.

Exactly, if you are smart not to sign up for crazy things on the internet you will not get spam, like you would with a simple gmail, yahoo, hotmail account.

gymnofrool

Sep 11, 2008
Visit site
@ Impaler: It would definitely help you if you read things a little more carefully!!! interways asked how people like the new DESIGN of their web site, not the service as such!
My (btw US-based) company now uses interways.net (50 accounts) and we all are very happy with it. I think it is somewhat stupid to not use a good product just because the company based is in Germany. Do you not drive BMWs or Mercedes because of that, too??? ;)

I say: First think, then write...

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
That's a stupid thing to say cause you are wrong. Lots of better options, have you heard of exchange?

I think newfoundlandlisa just posted a quick 10 posts of nothing posts just to plug their website... which I moved to the appropriate thread...... don't take his or her comment personally. ;)

devonair

Nov 30, 2008
Visit site
Gmail-hosted apps, plus free Mail2Web account has so far been my best push solution...

For the cost of registering a domain name (often as low as $10/year), I have the domain/email address that I want running on Google's servers. I forward that to my free mail2web account, and it pushes my mail to my phone via Exchange activesync. Also, my contacts/calendar/tasks on my phone are always in sync with my mail2web account, giving me desktop (via browser) access to all of my phone's PIM data. If you use a Windows computer, then you would probably be happy with the mail2web interface in IE (and not have to upgrade to a paid account to allow you to access things via Outlook). If you're like me and you use a Mac, you can use your account via Entourage (since I hate OWA in Firefox and Safari). On my phone, setting the Activesync reply-to address to my Google-hosted one means that I can even send from mail from my phone, and the recipient never even notices that it came from my mail2web account!

In a perfect world, I would prefer to sync directly to my Google services, but this works for now. I can live with having to manage two copies of my inbox if I can get reliable push email for free. =) Here's hoping that either: a) nuevasync gets their email component syncing soon, or b) Google releases an iPhone app equivalent to their Gmail app on Android. Either of those two negate any reason I would have to even consider using Mobileme.

Casper TFG

Jul 7, 2008
Visit site
Are people still using and paying for 3 party apps for mail push now?

Or can you now get all your own (business) domain emails pushed with Mobile Me efficiently..

Or does manually grabbing them via IMAP or Pop 3 each time work nice and quickly..?

Its dawning on my that I perhaps don't absolutely HAVE TO have emails pushed - I could just retrieve them when I want them..

Is it possible to get too wrapped up in 'push' - when you don't necessarily need it?

Blackberry is very handy for fast two way email communication - to nail down a deal quickly but I dont need that very often..

Last edited:

hotrod#AC

Jan 31, 2006
Visit site
For me, it's not about PUSH....sometimes I turn off the Push because I don't want to be bothered. For me, I LOVE and HAVE TO HAVE a Hosted Exchange Service so that my Calendar, Email, and Contacts are all in Sync on my 2 desktops, 1 laptop, and my iPhone. (which used to be a Treo700WX). Hosted Exchange is INVALUABLE in keeping all my data synchronized and up-to-date.

Duvi

Jun 17, 2008
Visit site
Hmmm... I like my @me.com email address. Wondering if I should waste my money :)

I store a lot of pics on my mobile me... does it allow for storage as well?

Does it also push gmail?

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
waeriyadh