2.1 Firmware this Friday [Details inside]

spsands

Sep 10, 2008
www.twitter.com
I find it weird that 2.1 is available for the touch right now to download, but not for iPhones. Oh well, what's another 3 days?

yeah.. Im with you.

I was kinda thinkin if 2.1 had any special feature, that it would be all over the place with the 2.1 update for the touch. I'm sure we would have heard about it.

Im kinda confused why its a 2.1 and not a 2.0.4 myself.

Dalekkiller

Sep 9, 2008
Visit site
Well Steve did say "performance enhancements" as well as the stuff about battery life, 3G faster backups etc so maybe there is something actually worth waiting for. I'm in the UK so I'm betting that it won't we out until late afternoon/early evening over here. Does anyone know what time it's released tomorrow as I'd like to know if I need to set my alarm? :D

JustinHorn

Aug 3, 2008
whenwillapple.com
I don't think they said which time, but I would think (hope) they would do it pretty early so that other countries can start downloading while most of us here in the US are sleeping. This way downloads will be more spaced out and there isn't a huge hit on the servers with everyone in the world downloading at the same time.

Reaktor5

May 31, 2008
Visit site
I just got told a cool little new feature coming in 2.1. There's an option to turn on if someone fails to enter your passcode 10 times then the device is erased.

Reaktor5

May 31, 2008
Visit site
Ouch, think I'll leave that one off otherwise I could wipe my own phone after a wild night!!

You still have to wait between passcode tries. If you get a few wrong passcodes in a row it will lock you out. So 3 minutes, then 10 minutes, etc. x 10! You still have plenty of chances.
I see it working for people who are worried about losing their phone with sensitive information.

nolongercurvin

Sep 11, 2008
Visit site
It is starting to feel like we were the "test bed" for this phone. Release it and fix the problems on the fly. VERY un-Apple. I have been waiting for this thig to live up to the promise.....a computer in my pocket. And the apps??!!! PLEASE. Lightsaber?? Magic 8 ball?? Once again, Apple abandoned us. Put the phone out, and told the world "YOU go make it great". We'll just collect our cut, and if it sucks, it won't be our fault. I am waiting to see the "improved" battery life. I paid for a 3g phone, and have to run EDGE to have the battery last the day. Fingers are crossed.......

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
It is starting to feel like we were the "test bed" for this phone. Release it and fix the problems on the fly. VERY un-Apple. I have been waiting for this thig to live up to the promise.....a computer in my pocket. And the apps??!!! PLEASE. Lightsaber?? Magic 8 ball?? Once again, Apple abandoned us. Put the phone out, and told the world "YOU go make it great". We'll just collect our cut, and if it sucks, it won't be our fault. I am waiting to see the "improved" battery life. I paid for a 3g phone, and have to run EDGE to have the battery last the day. Fingers are crossed.......

To be fair there are over 3000 apps out there... all kinds. Some good, some bad... I know you've come from a BB so how many BB apps are there today available at your fingertips?

Next about the battery. Welcome to the world of 3g phones my friend... With BB you have not had to deal with it. Well now they have the Bold but that's another story. But I do know Crackberry Kevin keeps his Bold on Edge to save battery life. So honestly the battery is not bad compared to other 3g devices. But it can be better.

Hopefully starting tomorrow. :)

Last edited:

Reaktor5

May 31, 2008
Visit site

Well they did that with Leopard too. A lot of tech release are like that, release it rather than delay it and fix the known issues with future updates. It's not Apple's fault that apps you want to see aren't being developed. If you have good ideas you can make your own app or collaborate with someone else who already is developing, that's the beauty of the App Store. As far as battery life, I've been told that the battery life improvement is dramatic.

Reaktor5

May 31, 2008
Visit site
The sort by "Song" view in iPod, now displays album and artist information for each song. The iPod touch also has this in their 2.1 update.

cardfan

Oct 26, 2004
Visit site
I'm not saying anything negative of bug fixes. They are appreciated as i've been in the opposite end with my old palm 700p that went over a year without one.

But i'd be lying if i said i didn't anticipate apple would be forthcoming with features. I may have bought the phone as advertised, but i expected minor features that were missing to be added at some point. Obviously that won't happen with 2.1 and i don't see another major patch til next year.

If they can clear up the bugs as promised, perhaps it will be worthy of a 2.1 name. The last few minor patches promising the same did no such thing though.

Still, i told myself i'd see what 2.1 would bring. It will take it being bug free for me not to switch to the touch pro or diamond. I can easily ebay the iphone 3g and make back everything i've spent on this including the eft fee. Slingbox on the touch would be pretty cool and i know apple isn't going to allow that..or tethering. At this point, i'd miss some of the games offered on the iphone (i love galcon) but i think i could get over it.

Dalekkiller

Sep 9, 2008
Visit site
You still have to wait between passcode tries. If you get a few wrong passcodes in a row it will lock you out. So 3 minutes, then 10 minutes, etc. x 10! You still have plenty of chances.
I see it working for people who are worried about losing their phone with sensitive information.

At least it's optional - I'm not keen on losing everything if I ever did forget my password. I used to have something similar on my car stereo, if you put in the wrong password, the intervals got longer until you were locked out and had to get a dealer to unlock it. Still, it is a good idea for that reason you state.

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
I'm not saying anything negative of bug fixes. They are appreciated as i've been in the opposite end with my old palm 700p that went over a year without one.

But i'd be lying if i said i didn't anticipate apple would be forthcoming with features. I may have bought the phone as advertised, but i expected minor features that were missing to be added at some point. Obviously that won't happen with 2.1 and i don't see another major patch til next year.

If they can clear up the bugs as promised, perhaps it will be worthy of a 2.1 name. The last few minor patches promising the same did no such thing though.

Still, i told myself i'd see what 2.1 would bring. It will take it being bug free for me not to switch to the touch pro or diamond. I can easily ebay the iphone 3g and make back everything i've spent on this including the eft fee. Slingbox on the touch would be pretty cool and i know apple isn't going to allow that..or tethering. At this point, i'd miss some of the games offered on the iphone (i love galcon) but i think i could get over it.

I can tell you that the creators of PDAnet are working on a tethering app for the iPhone. But it will require you to jailbreak. At least it does in the beta stage. Hope this makes you feel somewhat better. :D

Last edited:

JustinHorn

Aug 3, 2008
whenwillapple.com
Ouch, think I'll leave that one off otherwise I could wipe my own phone after a wild night!!

Same thing I thought :D

I think if I upgraded to exchange 2007 (maybe on 2003?) there is a way to wipe my device remotely so I'll just stick with that just in case I somehow lose it.

And to all the people out there that are saying "the public is the beta testers" when you have devices like computer and the iPhone it is IMPOSSIBLE to catch all the bugs. You just can't simulate everything in the lab or small group of beta testers. If you buy a device in the first month or so that it comes out expect it to not be 100% perfect. What defines a company is how they react to it and how quickly they can get fixes out. With the internet now at least we can get updates quickly and easily.

Dalekkiller

Sep 9, 2008
Visit site
I'm wondering if this is a big update (I'm sure I heard something when I watched the keynote or maybe I read it somewhere). Maybe one of the reasons it's free for touch users upgrading from 2.x is some sort of compensation for all the bugs. Then again, maybe it's just a minor fix. Oh well, hopefully we'll know in 24 hours.

JustinHorn

Aug 3, 2008
whenwillapple.com
I'm wondering if this is a big update (I'm sure I heard something when I watched the keynote or maybe I read it somewhere). Maybe one of the reasons it's free for touch users upgrading from 2.x is some sort of compensation for all the bugs. Then again, maybe it's just a minor fix. Oh well, hopefully we'll know in 24 hours.

Most software gets free updates in the same family. When it goes to 3.x there will probably be another small charge. Or they may just change their ways and give it away free like they did for first gen iPhones.

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com

Steve did say it was a major update.

Dalekkiller

Sep 9, 2008
Visit site
And to all the people out there that are saying "the public is the beta testers" when you have devices like computer and the iPhone it is IMPOSSIBLE to catch all the bugs. You just can't simulate everything in the lab or small group of beta testers. If you buy a device in the first month or so that it comes out expect it to not be 100% perfect. What defines a company is how they react to it and how quickly they can get fixes out. With the internet now at least we can get updates quickly and easily.

It did feel as though we were being used as testers. 2.0.1 came out pretty quickly and then 2.0.2 came out exactly 2 weeks later. I'm no expert, but that did look as if they hadn't checked out 2.0.1 fully as the next update just said "bug fixes". Although those affected by problems in 2.0.2 were making a noise, Apple didn't say or do anything for quite a while. Still, it's all going to be better now and we can go back to being one big happy Apple family. :D

Dalekkiller

Sep 9, 2008
Visit site
Most software gets free updates in the same family. When it goes to 3.x there will probably be another small charge. Or they may just change their ways and give it away free like they did for first gen iPhones.
Oh well, just trying to fill in the time until the update comes. :)

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73