Maximizing battery lifetime

helmet112

Sep 3, 2008
Visit site
Hi,

I just got my 3g recently (switched from BB), and love it. My only complaint (aside from weak push features and lack of app background processing, which should be fixed soon) is the battery life. This won't be a problem most of the time, and before my first trip I'll buy a battery extender.

But, I am worried about the battery lifetime. Apple says the battery is rated for 400 charge cycles. I'm curious what habits to build that will help reduce my used cycles over time. For example, on a typical day I could conveniently keep the phone plugged in at least 16 hours (8 hours at work at the desk, 8 hours while sleeping). In this case the phone rarely gets below 50% battery. But, is this a good thing for increasing the lifetime? (Noting that periodic full discharges are required) If the phone gets down to, say, 75% battery and then I charge it, does that count as one cycle?

Any thoughts or tips here are appreciated. I wouldn't care about this as much if replacing the battery wasn't so expensive and time-consuming.

JustinHorn

Aug 3, 2008
whenwillapple.com
Well one thing you can do is get an mophie juice pack 3g to extend the life :)

But to save battery I would try setting email to manual mode, switching to edge when not using the internet, and lowering the brightness.

iLoveiPhones

Jun 23, 2008
Visit site
Well one thing you can do is get an mophie juice pack 3g to extend the life :)

But to save battery I would try setting email to manual mode, switching to edge when not using the internet, and lowering the brightness.

You nailed it right on the head! But one quick question... What is mophie juice?

JustinHorn

Aug 3, 2008
whenwillapple.com
You nailed it right on the head! But one quick question... What is mophie juice?

mophie - iPhone Battery, iPod Cases, iPhone accessories and more! - Juice Pack - iPhone 3G (pre-order, available Oct 15)

It's an external battery that should get close to doubling your battery life. It's a pack that you can leave on and use the phone, not one of those that's big and bulky that attaches to the bottom.

The site now shows it is shipping October 15th, but if anyone preordered by sept. 8th (like me) they will be shipping on the 1st!

BRiphone

Sep 22, 2008
Visit site
I have done the aforementioned changes (turn off 3G, Wifi, Push, set fetch to manual, and lowered the screen brightness) to the iPhone to maximize battery life. If location services is turned off, will that help maximize battery life too, or will that only be used when you need to have the iPhone 'locate' you if it is left on? Thanks for the answer...still a little new to the 3G.

squee

Oct 8, 2008
Visit site
Everyone seems to be focusing on the easy question - how to extend the battery life.

But I think the more difficult and important question (and one that I share! Which is why I've decided to join and try and get an answer) is:

Apple says the battery is rated for 400 charge cycles. I'm curious what habits to build that will help reduce my used cycles over time. For example, on a typical day I could conveniently keep the phone plugged in at least 16 hours (8 hours at work at the desk, 8 hours while sleeping). In this case the phone rarely gets below 50% battery. But, is this a good thing for increasing the lifetime? (Noting that periodic full discharges are required) If the phone gets down to, say, 75% battery and then I charge it, does that count as one cycle?

Put simply: When I'm home, my iPhone is in the dock and charging. Am I hurting it's long-term battery life by doing this?

helmet112

Sep 3, 2008
Visit site
Hi Squee,

Overall battery lifetime was the root of my original post too. I still haven't found a good answer to it anywhere, aside from a friends comment that plugging in the iPhone when it's still, say, 90% charged doesn't count as a cycle. This makes sense, but just from past experiences with phone batteries I'd expect it has a larger impact than just 10% of one cycle.

But, if it doesn't, mine should last forever since it's plugged in 50-75% of the time!

JustinHorn

Aug 3, 2008
whenwillapple.com
if the phone last more than 2 years does it really matter? How many people that own an iPhone think they will keep the same one for more than 2 years?

helmet112

Sep 3, 2008
Visit site
Considering the phone is rated for 400 battery cycles, and on heavy-use days it might need to be charged twice, I'd be happy it if made it 2 years. 2 years being 730 days means the phone would have to average 2 days between charges, and I sure don't get 2 days.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2