2.0.1 and 2.0.2 Sound Issues

dhp1080

Jun 30, 2008
Visit site
SMS Sound Problem

So I've been using my new iPhone 3G for a few days now, and I'm running into trouble. I've noticed that when someone texts me, my phone only vibrates. It fails to play the "Tri-tone" noise I selected. My phone is on ringer mode with the volume all the way up. I can confirm that all my settings are correct.

I tried using different ring noises as well as even restoring my iPhone. Still no dice.

A good few other people share my problem over at Apple - Support - Discussions - Text message alert sounds disappear (3G) ...

Any suggestions? Anyone else have this issue? Please chime in. Text messaging is a big deal for any phone.

Last edited by a moderator:

abalboa3

Jul 3, 2008
Visit site
I have the same problem seems as all of the other tones will chime but for some reason Tri-tone does not work, only vibrates.

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
I have the same problem seems as all of the other tones will chime but for some reason Tri-tone does not work, only vibrates.

You don't have the sms window open by any chance do you when it just vibrates? Because if you do, that is normal. You will only hear the chime when you are out of the SMS app.

dhp1080

Jun 30, 2008
Visit site
I'm definitely out of the SMS app (back to the home screen, then screen locked). I have tried using different sounds and it will work correctly once, then stop working again. Restarting the phone results in a temporary fix. I suppose we'll have to wait til 2.0.1 to see this problem fixed. I'm hoping Apple will resolve the outstanding bugs by this weekend.

My Buglist:
- Contact list sometimes stalls for a few seconds before being operable
- SMS horribly slow at times
- SMS noises do not play

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
I've started getting this issue with the sms sound not playing. A reset or simply going into sounds changing the tone fix the issue. Still a pain... Apple needs to get this update out quick.

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
I haven't had any problems with my SMS sound. *Knock on wood. I also use the tri-tone and it works fine for me.

It's very rare when it does happen. But none the less it is a issue with the firmware. A 1st gen phone that I updated has the same issue now as well. Never did that before.

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
Has anyone else had the issue of losing certain sounds until you either reset the phone or turn off and back on? It happens from time to time on mine.

iphonemilk

Jul 17, 2008
Visit site
Same with me Ash i noticed this only with text sounds.

I.E. i put the phone to sleep it's sitting there. I get a text, and the thing vibrates and that's it.

However it's NOT on silent...

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
Glad to know it's just not my phone... :)

I can live with it happening once in a while.

***Ok, I just reset it. One email came in fine with sound. Then I heard a vibrate... no audible alert! That's crazy... I just reset it. I smell a complete restore coming my way. Hope it clears it a little bit.

BB-fan

Jun 30, 2008
Visit site
Happens all the time. I turn the sound off via the side switch at work. When I leave I turn it back on. I go into the sound settings and see the volume is all the way low when I orginally have it all the way up. Seem when turning sound back on it does not go back to your orignal settings. Another bug? Perhaps....I just can't wait till everything is fixed. I must admit I have very few problems unlike others have. Email is great at times but sketchy at others...thats a different topic. Try hitting the sounds settings and see if the volume is changes from when you last had it.

Oxygen08

Jul 22, 2008
Visit site
my sound has been glitchy too.
Especially when I talk on the phone. I have to put the phone on speaker to hear the person I'm talking too. Anybody else having my problem?
Gahhhh, I hope all the bugs get fixed soon.

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
my sound has been glitchy too.
Especially when I talk on the phone. I have to put the phone on speaker to hear the person I'm talking too. Anybody else having my problem?
Gahhhh, I hope all the bugs get fixed soon.

That sounds like a totally different issue there... :( I've never had that happen. I would consider going back to Apple with that one.

pockypocky

Jul 12, 2008
Visit site
it happened on my txt
no sounds when i received txt
need to switch to different sound
"Tri-tone" doesn't work at all....

i have to check my phones reguarly to see if someone txt me.... :mad:

is that bcuz i installed too many apps?! :confused:

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
it happened on my txt
no sounds when i received txt
need to switch to different sound
"Tri-tone" doesn't work at all....

i have to check my phones reguarly to see if someone txt me.... :mad:

is that bcuz i installed too many apps?! :confused:

I don't think any of us know if it has something to do with the 3rd party apps. My guess is that it may... that's why when I get some time I may slowly remove certain apps. One at a time to see if this sound issue disappears. If I find that it goes away I'll be sure to post the results.