I don't. I still prefer the real keyboard I had on my BlackBerry. I made much less mistakes on it.
    10-25-2009 05:47 AM
    The iPhone has a real keyboard. Otherwise you couldn't type on it. It just doesn't have a keyboard with push buttons. It's still a real keyboard. I wish people would make this distinction. Or is it just me?

That's like saying a hybrid car isn't a real car.
    10-25-2009 06:13 AM
    No moving parts. I chuckle at my coworkers when they have to replace a BB because of a bad keyboard. It happens more often than you think.
    10-25-2009 08:53 AM
    The iPhone has a real keyboard. Otherwise you couldn't type on it. It just doesn't have a keyboard with push buttons. It's still a real keyboard. I wish people would make this distinction. Or is it just me?

That's like saying a hybrid car isn't a real car.
    I don't consider it a real keyboard...more of a virtual keyboard, in my view. It works, but not as well as one with buttons that are tactile, IMHO.
    10-25-2009 09:19 AM
    No moving parts. I chuckle at my coworkers when they have to replace a BB because of a bad keyboard. It happens more often than you think.
    I've had 4 blackberries, and none of them have ever had a keyboard button malfunction. Since owning the iPhone for 3 weeks, I have, however noticed that I have to tap items to select or launch items several times over for it to register sometimes because it didn't register the first time. Don't get me wrong... I do really like my iPhone, but I don't think it does everything better than the BB.
    10-25-2009 09:24 AM
    I don't consider it a real keyboard...more of a virtual keyboard, in my view. It works, but not as well as one with buttons that are tactile, IMHO.
    True, but does a button keyboard rotate to landscape? Can it change depending on the situation, say to make it easier to type an email address? The iPhone keyboard can do that. If you look, if you enter an email in a specific situation, you can hit the ".com" button.
    10-25-2009 09:36 AM
    True, but does a button keyboard rotate to landscape? Can it change depending on the situation, say to make it easier to type an email address? The iPhone keyboard can do that. If you look, if you enter an email in a specific situation, you can hit the ".com" button.
    One thing that annoys me about the iPhone keyboard switching to landscape is that the virtual keyboard, when it pops up, takes up so much real estate on the screen that you are left with such a small window to view where you want to type in stuff, so you have to end up finding a way to scroll where you want to start typing. So, no, I don't see how switching to landscape is that much of a plus for my needs. Yes, there are some nice added touches in the virtual keyboard, but my main purpose for having a keyboard is to enter text, and for me, the BB's real buttons just work better.
    10-25-2009 09:45 AM
    Yeah, but when the virtual keyboard goes away, the screen on the iPhone is still bigger. Just a trade off.
    10-25-2009 10:33 AM
    Yeah, but when the virtual keyboard goes away, the screen on the iPhone is still bigger. Just a trade off.
    Bigger screen or better typing. Hmmm...
    10-25-2009 10:34 AM
    I've had 4 blackberries, and none of them have ever had a keyboard button malfunction. Since owning the iPhone for 3 weeks, I have, however noticed that I have to tap items to select or launch items several times over for it to register sometimes because it didn't register the first time. Don't get me wrong... I do really like my iPhone, but I don't think it does everything better than the BB.
    I agree with you. The BB is an enterprise level phone. It's strength lies within it's messaging capabilities. Multimedia isn't it's strength, unlike the iPhone.

There are about 20 people at my work who have had BBs and I know of at least 4 that have had keyboard failures and several others who have buttons that stick or don't work as well as they did. Buttons will wear out if they get used enough.....it's all moving parts. Maybe it's the design of the model they have.
    10-25-2009 04:58 PM
    I'm very good with both, but it seems like a type out emails and such faster with the iphone. maybe its because i had a lot of experience using touchscreens on verizon before switching to a blackberry and then back to an iphone... but i would like to see some sort of vibration feedback when you hit a "button" like the LG Dare and LG Vu.
    10-25-2009 05:29 PM
    Two main reasons.

1. When rotated to landscape, for me the iPhone keyboard works great and I can type fast.

2. Here's a big reason. When I had Treos, as great as the keyboards were, I invariably had a key or two wear out over time. Like the "P" key would stick or not work right. I like the iPhone because you never break a key. There are no keys, it's just flat glass. Love this feature. No moving keyboard parts means fewer keyboard hardware problems. This is a big plus.
    10-26-2009 11:20 AM
    Bigger screen or better typing. Hmmm...
    You have both with the iPhone. How big is the screen on a Blackberry?
    10-26-2009 12:22 PM
    I don't. I still prefer the real keyboard I had on my BlackBerry. I made much less mistakes on it.
    could be the fact that you feel some loyalty to RIM as well.
    at least that's how i was for a little while but now i cannot imagine going back.
    i tried typing on my old blackberry the other day and its was odd.
    just give it more time and you'll find that it really is easier and will make less mistakes than when you first started.
    10-26-2009 01:34 PM
    could be the fact that you feel some loyalty to RIM as well.
    at least that's how i was for a little while but now i cannot imagine going back.
    i tried typing on my old blackberry the other day and its was odd.
    just give it more time and you'll find that it really is easier and will make less mistakes than when you first started.
    Thanks. Frankly speaking, I think the Blackberry just does email better and more reliably than the iPhone, but the iPhone beats the BB pretty much everywhere else. I still use a Curve 8900 as my work issued device, but hate to do anything on it other than email. As for the keyboard, I personally just find it hard to use a virtual keyboard, whether it is on my iPhone or my Garmin Nuvi. I just like pressing a real button. Imagine, for example if your desktop or laptop computer didn't have keys, but instead had a virtual keyboard.... it would be really hard to type in my opinion, but maybe that's just me. I like the tactile feedback.
    10-26-2009 02:25 PM
    Hmmm, my iPhone does Exchange with Google just fine. I believe it's an ongoing myth that no other cell phone can handle email like the Blackberry. Btw, does it cost extra to set up Blackberry mail to push to your Blackberry? When I had mine, it was an extra fee every month to have your email pushed to it.
    10-26-2009 03:45 PM
    Hmmm, my iPhone does Exchange with Google just fine. I believe it's an ongoing myth that no other cell phone can handle email like the Blackberry. Btw, does it cost extra to set up Blackberry mail to push to your Blackberry? When I had mine, it was an extra fee every month to have your email pushed to it.
    No, it doesn't cost extra to have email pushed to Blackberry. What I've personally found is that even though I have Exchange w/ Google push set up as well as a Yahoo push account, the iPhone is inconsistent. Sometimes, the email gets pushed pretty fast to the iPhone, and sometimes it takes me having to open up the mail app before it registers emails coming in. Also, when you open the email account, it has to connect to the server to see any emails that you have in the folders. It seems as if there's no data connection, you won't be able to see anything, unlike the Blackberry where everything is sorta instant, and on the device already.

Also, with the Blackberry, all emails, regardless of what account it is (ie. Yahoo, Gmail, hotmail, aol, etc.), are instantly pushed to one unified Inbox, and I find that really efficient because you don't have to cycle from account to account to see what's in there, because it all goes into one Inbox in the Blackberry where you can quickly look at an email and reply to it from the account it came into. It's just faster. I'm not trying to bash the iPhone, it is really just my personal experience. I have both the iPhone and a Curve 8900, and the Blackberry is much more reliable when it comes to email and it is faster at it too. They have this part down.
    Last edited by iBoxtaboy; 10-26-2009 at 04:26 PM.
    10-26-2009 04:13 PM
    I think the problem lies on Google's side, since Push is not a phone feature, ya know.
    10-26-2009 04:53 PM
    I think the problem lies on Google's side, since Push is not a phone feature, ya know.
    Sorry. I don't agree. With the Blackberry, you get free push email on every email account (yahoo, gmail, hotmail, aol, etc), not just Yahoo or Gmail, and fetch everything else that you get with the iPhone. I have yahoo, gmail, hotmail, and aol accounts tied to my iPhone (and before with my BB), so that does matter to me. Yes, you can get it all pushed to you with a MobileMe account, but that costs extra, unlike with Blackberries. My Yahoo push, btw, is also slower to arrive and unreliable in comparison to the iPhone set up.

Again, I think iPhone is better in pretty much every other area, but BB has email down pat.
    10-26-2009 04:58 PM
    Well, I only have one primary email, which is yahoo. I use a hotmail, or Windows Live email, for my school. I wish Live would let you set up an imap account or something. Other than that, I'm strictly gmail. Plus, I think having a contraption with a screen as big as the iPhone is a pretty trade off for the email thing, which I happen to not agree with as being not as good as a blackberry.
    10-26-2009 06:44 PM
    I've used the iPhone with Googl (mail) Exchange e-mail, and MobileMe as well as private IMAP accounts.

E-mail works fantastic. Push works great. I'd say it works as well or better than Chattermail on my Treo, and that's saying something.
    10-26-2009 07:24 PM
    I love how you have everything at one place, easily accessible, be it music, mail, phone, games, and pretty much apps for anything you could possibly wish to use the device for

If they only up the battery time while also making it able to use background processes (without jailbreaking, that is) there would be no chance I'd ever change to something else. (Though I guess I wouldn't mind being proven wrong, as it would have to be something really awesome!)
    10-26-2009 07:51 PM
    I don't. I liked the treo keyboard the best. The buttons were very easy to hit.
    11-02-2009 12:33 PM
    I like it because I can type very fast on it thanks to Auto Correction.
    11-02-2009 03:54 PM
74 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD